U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,799 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong with this assessment but I'll throw it out. It appears to me that one aspect of Mugabe's political strategy especially to the West is to consistently and constantly play that 'colonial' card to the country. His policy appears to focus on one of confrontation. Now I am aware of what happened in African colonial history and it is a dismal story but how long do you play that tune? I'm sure it can never be completely put to bed but perhaps it's time to work with a different approach. The current policies look inimical to the Zimbabwean future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM

9,571 posts, read 9,447,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm not sure that people really understand the history of Zimbabwe. The British were preparing to grant what was known as Southern Rhodesia independence. This is from Wikipedia.

"As colonial rule was ending throughout the continent and as African-majority governments assumed control in neighbouring Northern Rhodesia and in Nyasaland, the white-minority Rhodesia government led by Ian Smith made a Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) from the United Kingdom on 11 November 1965, effectively repudiating the British plan that the country should become a multi-racial democracy. The United Kingdom deemed this an act of rebellion, but did not re-establish control by force." (boldface and underlining mine).
In other words, it Rhodesia's government, not "the British", who was against a multiracial government.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,933,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Africa would be better off with the thugs of Mugabe and people like him and have people more like Patrick Ngowi who is only 28 and from Tanzania and made a US$8million fortune from selling solar energy in Tanzania.The Young African Millionaire Lighting Up Tanzania - Forbes Its people like him that can help create countries in Africa from third world nations into developed countries.
This is kind of my point...competent leadership only ever goes so far. Especially now in Africa, the politics of the old dying ruling class are not as important as the development of the continent. That development will come largely from industrialists and entrepreneurs...singling out Mugabe as the sole factor for the woes of his region is naive.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 PM

dub dub...

What do you think? Is Mugabe the 'best' that Zimbabwe can offer with regard to leadership for the 21st century?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM

18,626 posts, read 16,464,485 times
When you threatened stunts like this you will win elections. Folks suggesting otherwise dont know much about human nature.

Zimbabwe's "Blacks-Only" Stock Exchange Takes 'Financial Innovation' And Racism To New Highs | Zero Hedge

Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM

211 posts, read 435,262 times
He rigged it again, what do you expect? All Mugabe has ever done was execute people who oppose him or executes his own people without reason. Mugabe is the black Zimbabwean Hitler, you could say.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM

18,626 posts, read 16,464,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
He rigged it again, what do you expect? All Mugabe has ever done was execute people who oppose him or executes his own people without reason. Mugabe is the black Zimbabwean Hitler, you could say.
I'm sorry this isn't even close to reality.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM

211 posts, read 435,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry this isn't even close to reality.

How so? Mugabe treats his own people like many of the Southerns used to treat the blacks. While millions of Zimbabweans eat bread for breakfast, lunch, dinner and make barely $1.00 per day - Mugabe is sitting in his mansion watching the Soprano's.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 AM

Just wondering...will there be a new election? The opposition claimed some of their supporters couldn't get the opportunity to vote.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM

38 posts, read 51,914 times
Thirty years of brainwashing has left it's dirty mark on this nation of otherwise peaceful people. Other than that we are all living under one umbrella and trying our best to make a living out of what is left of our lives, in the hope that we can leave something for our next generation to appreciatte. The Government will not change, not in my lifetime, that is because no one will allow the majority of the people to be heard. For one thing we can be assured of is our natural resources will be sustancially diminished as well as our valued wild life. Our children's children will be lucky to see the little wild life that still remains, but is subject to out of control poaching due to bad governance. So going back to fair elections & a change of Government being a possible cure to all or many of our existing problems.....or not??? Or will the cycle just start again as it has done in the past throughout Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa