U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,161,075 times
Reputation: 14898

Advertisements

"After 400 years in North America living in close contact with Europeans the cultural mores, values and outlooks of your average African-American are different from that of an African."

Who pray tell have Africans been ruled by for the last 400 years? Whose religious morality has replace the indigenous religions? Whose forms of government have been imposed upon the continent? Whose economic and educational system? By your specious argument Africa and Africans have been in a intellectual stasis for that 400 year period. Suffice it to say that Africans are no more African than the continents descendants.

 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,626 posts, read 16,472,082 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"After 400 years in North America living in close contact with Europeans the cultural mores, values and outlooks of your average African-American are different from that of an African."

Who pray tell have Africans been ruled by for the last 400 years? Whose religious morality has replace the indigenous religions? Whose forms of government have been imposed upon the continent? Whose economic and educational system? By your specious argument Africa and Africans have been in a intellectual stasis for that 400 year period. Suffice it to say that Africans are no more African than the continents descendants.
Now this novel, claim Africans aren't really Africans either. You do realize European penetration into Africa only happen about 100 years or so. The difference is African-Americans lived next to European settlers in a country run by them and Blacks were a minority outnumbered 9-1 nationally for hundreds of years. In Africa few countries supported White settlement and no where did they make up a majority.

By your argument the Chinese are no longer Chinese.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,504,536 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"After 400 years in North America living in close contact with Europeans the cultural mores, values and outlooks of your average African-American are different from that of an African."

Who pray tell have Africans been ruled by for the last 400 years? Whose religious morality has replace the indigenous religions? Whose forms of government have been imposed upon the continent? Whose economic and educational system? By your specious argument Africa and Africans have been in a intellectual stasis for that 400 year period. Suffice it to say that Africans are no more African than the continents descendants.
What a weird logic. cultures change over time, they evolve, NO culture remains in some stasis, reality just doesn't work like that. Africans are, well, Africans. So are the diaspora, the cultures in the new world also changed over time, I am referring to African Americans, Afro Latinos, Afro Caribbeans etc. However they did so in a very African way.
 
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 AM
 
8,226 posts, read 10,823,880 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If slaves were sourced from Central Africa they probably ended up in East African slave markets not Trans- Atlantic. There really was no need for Europeans to source slaves from Central Africa when they could get them easier from the Slave Coast.

Most slaves to the New World were sourced from Angola. However relatively few Angolans ended up in the USA. The very first Africans to land in Jamestown were probably Angolan though and may have already been Christian, some even mixed. This maybe one reason why the first Africans in colonial Virginia weren't enslaved outright but indentured. More here:
Africans in America | Part 1 | Narrative | From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery
The African ancestry of most African Americans is Nigerian/Cameroon, then Senegambia and then the Gold Coast.

The dominant African ancestry of British Caribbean Blacks is the Gold Coast. Many of the maroon Jamaican societies are definitively Akan.
Accompong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dominant African ancestry of those from the French Caribbean is Senegambia.

Spanish possessions sourced most slaves from Nigeria that's why Yoruba based religions are strong in Cuba, Puerto Rico and Haiti/DR (Haiti was colonized by Christopher Columbus for Spain).

The Portuguese sourced their slaves from Angola and to a degree Mozambique.
So the africans on the West coasts never raided interior Africa to get slaves?


I have also read most slaves to the Usa weren't taken directly from Africa,but came from the Carribean.
 
Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 AM
 
8,226 posts, read 10,823,880 times
Reputation: 7623
What does it mean when a Ghanian tells an African American "You look like one of my people?".
 
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 AM
 
9,491 posts, read 10,227,469 times
Reputation: 7207
What are the chances that of all the people who came to build America; Irish ,Italians, German ,Scotch, Asians , Spanish and Mexicans, that black people would be the only one to not retain vestiges of their mother country.
 
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,895,577 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is what I'm reading now. Out Of America: A Black Man Confronts Africa: Keith B. Richburg: 9780465001880: Amazon.com: Books



The notion that African-Americans are African is preposterous. There is more to a people than skin color and DNA. After 400 years in North America living in close contact with Europeans the cultural mores, values and outlooks of your average African-American are different from that of an African. That's not a bad or good thing, it's just a thing. Folks need to stop romanticizing Africa.
so true, right on!

Many don't have a clue of what its like to live in present day Africa
 
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,626 posts, read 16,472,082 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What does it mean when a Ghanian tells an African American "You look like one of my people?".
Generally speaking there are some features while not necessarily noticeable to many including African-Americans are indicative of certain ethnic groups. I generally can spot another Akan pretty easily. We tend to have big eyes for example.
 
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,626 posts, read 16,472,082 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What are the chances that of all the people who came to build America; Irish ,Italians, German ,Scotch, Asians , Spanish and Mexicans, that black people would be the only one to not retain vestiges of their mother country.
It's debatable if any of the people you mentioned do either. However of course African-Americans have a different history in that they were involuntary migrants and were forced to adapt to the will of their masters.
 
Old 09-13-2013, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,626 posts, read 16,472,082 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So the africans on the West coasts never raided interior Africa to get slaves?


I have also read most slaves to the Usa weren't taken directly from Africa,but came from the Carribean.
They did but they didn't have to go to place like Uganda. Remember there were jungles, hostile tribes etc. You go with the path of the least resistance.

Very true about slaves stopping in Caribbean to be "seasoned" before heading to North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top