U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM
 
56,939 posts, read 81,284,002 times
Reputation: 12588

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
While what you say is true and correct, I don't think it makes you or others like you more American than the 2nd or even 1st generation Americans.
In fact, you could say that Black Americans are more American in terms of time of lineage in the US. I believe that about 80% of Black Americans descend from people that came before the Civil War and 70% of Whites descend from people that came after the Civil War. Hopefully, I can find the article that refers to this, but if you have any sense of history, it is almost common sense given the amount of European immigration from about 1880 to about 1950 or so.

 
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,896,562 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In fact, you could say that Black Americans are more American in terms of time of lineage in the US. I believe that about 80% of Black Americans descend from people that came before the Civil War and 70% of Whites descend from people that came after the Civil War. Hopefully, I can find the article that refers to this, but if you have any sense of history, it is almost common sense given the amount of European immigration from about 1880 to about 1950 or so.
I will disagree. A possible longer lineage by anyone as stated before, doesn't make one more American and that there were NOT more blacks that were here before the Civil War its just that more whites immigrated after that war and decreased the % of those whites that were here before if you add up later ALL the whites together, the ones before and after. In other words the % of TOTAL whites waters down the ones that were here before the war but that doesn't make those initial whites less in terms of vs an initial black %. The high % of initial whites vs % of initial blacks will ALWAYS be higher for whites! Those numerous initial whites did not just die off just like those initial blacks. This is just all plain statistics.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,627 posts, read 16,474,755 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In fact, you could say that Black Americans are more American in terms of time of lineage in the US. I believe that about 80% of Black Americans descend from people that came before the Civil War and 70% of Whites descend from people that came after the Civil War. Hopefully, I can find the article that refers to this, but if you have any sense of history, it is almost common sense given the amount of European immigration from about 1880 to about 1950 or so.
There's some truth to this but I think regional differences would emerge. For example I suspect a majority of Southern Whites & rural Whites could trace their ancestry to before the Civil War. Whereas your urban, suburban Whites the opposite would be true since these are the areas that received the lion share of White immigrants. This is really a function of math.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,627 posts, read 16,474,755 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I will disagree. A possible longer lineage by anyone as stated before, doesn't make one more American and that there were NOT more blacks that were here before the Civil War its just that more whites immigrated after that war and decreased the % of those whites that were here before if you add up later ALL the whites together, the ones before and after. In other words the % of TOTAL whites waters down the ones that were here before the war but that doesn't make those initial whites less in terms of vs an initial black %. The high % of initial whites vs % of initial blacks will ALWAYS be higher for whites! Those numerous initial whites did not just die off just like those initial blacks. This is just all plain statistics.
This is true. Most Whites aren't checking for the when a potential partner's family immigrated to America.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,445 posts, read 22,427,697 times
Reputation: 8637
This is a good part of the discussion but I'm a bit confused. It was mentioned at first about the founding of the country but at least twice now, the civil war was mentioned. I assume what was meant was the revolutionary war?
 
Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,814,437 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is what I'm reading now. Out Of America: A Black Man Confronts Africa: Keith B. Richburg: 9780465001880: Amazon.com: Books



The notion that African-Americans are African is preposterous. There is more to a people than skin color and DNA. After 400 years in North America living in close contact with Europeans the cultural mores, values and outlooks of your average African-American are different from that of an African. That's not a bad or good thing, it's just a thing. Folks need to stop romanticizing Africa.
LOL, If anything Western media has done the opposite. Hence the reason Blacks ourselves associate darker, or more stereotypical African features or nappy hair as uglier and savage. the "romanticizing Africa" is HARDLY the problem. Like honestly, outside of black-supremacist, who portrays Africa(outside of the natural beauty of the land), as some place to be desired? Even though there really are lovely cities like Lagos. the great divide between Blacks and the European folks who've blacks have grown next 2 for 400yrs, didn't come from blacks. Blacks have been reminded daily of how NON-European they are, especially with the enforcement of the One Drop Rule. Either way, if Blacks want 2 explore their CHIEF ancestry, and want to feel connected with it, than whats the problem? We celebrate all sorts of European holidays in America, yet many Europeans cant stand us, and don't think of us as brethren.

Last edited by polo89; 09-14-2013 at 01:18 PM..
 
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,814,437 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't umderstamd how African Americans don't look African.

They do look the same to me.
Despite all this talk about AA being mixed,well,a majority are not.
Even if they are,its 80% African genes.
Everyone talks about Beyonce being mixed,and she is of course,but I'm 100% sure you can find an african woman who looks similiar to Beyonce without the mixture.

There are some AA you could plop in any African country and no one would take a second look.


Edit: there is one slight thing I forgot.
AA tend to have bigger frames than Africans,but again,that may be due to the tribal mixtures,or due to slavery when blacks were bred to be stronger.
I'm not sure.

Also,I have read conflicting things on where in Africa slaves were taken from.
Most sources say the West Coast of Africa,which would make a majority of AA have roots in West Africa.
However,I've also read sources that said they were taken from Central Africa.
Funny thing bout Beyonce, just looking @ her parents, you can tell she's probably a quarter white @ most. By most American definitions, shes hardly mixed. Her mom is mixed, and her dad is fully black, dark-skinned, the whole 9.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 PM
 
211 posts, read 435,609 times
Reputation: 220
The fact that many were shipped from Africa during the 1700's and 1800's does make them African. Although most African Americans typically have a bunch of white blood.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,814,437 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's like I said in an earlier post, we are today, a western people in every aspect. I completely agree that there is more to a people than skin color. A white person born and raised in one of the many countries in Africa is better suited to that environment than I would be as a Black American.
the melanin in your skin would be better suited than a European. although there r many Europeans who take residence in Africa with no problems. Either way, since many areas of Africa have been colonized by Euros, you really wouldn't feel much out of place living in some of these African cities than you would in other culturally Western places, like Europe. If you'd feel out of place in Lagos Nigeria as a Black American, then you'd probably feel out of place in London, Paris, and much of the West outside of America. Well, from a cultural standpoint.
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,445 posts, read 22,427,697 times
Reputation: 8637
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
the melanin in your skin would be better suited than a European. although there r many Europeans who take residence in Africa with no problems. Either way, since many areas of Africa have been colonized by Euros, you really wouldn't feel much out of place living in some of these African cities than you would in other culturally Western places, like Europe. If you'd feel out of place in Lagos Nigeria as a Black American, then you'd probably feel out of place in London, Paris, and much of the West outside of America. Well, from a cultural standpoint.
I have serious doubts about this assessment. The cities will still be influenced by the culture of the country they are in. Customs are different, communication patterns will differ, climate is different (especially for those who live in northern cities). The only place in Africa where I could see this being possible is South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top