U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,347,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
LOL, If anything Western media has done the opposite. Hence the reason Blacks ourselves associate darker, or more stereotypical African features or nappy hair as uglier and savage. the "romanticizing Africa" is HARDLY the problem. Like honestly, outside of black-supremacist, who's really portrayed Africa(outside of the natural beauty of the land), as some place to be desired? Even though there really are lovely cities like Lagos. the great divide between Blacks and the European folks who've blacks have grown next 2 for 400yrs, didn't come from blacks. Blacks have been reminded daily of how NON-European they are, especially with the enforcement of the One Drop Rule. Either way, if Blacks want 2 explore their CHIEF ancestry, and want to feel connected with it, than whats the problem? We celebrate all sorts of European holidays in America, yet many Europeans cant stand us, and don't think of us as brethren.
Hmmm, interesting points.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hmmm, interesting points.
Most White folks wouldn't consider me partly white. In that case, I wont fight them, I'll happily self-identify as African descent.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Most White folks wouldn't consider me partly white. In that case, I wont fight them, I'll happily self-identify as African descent.
Most whites I've been around simply see me as an American. If being politically correct, they'll refer to me as AA. So much is made of black/white in the US but no other two groups in the US are as similar to one another as blacks and whites are. This may not sit well with the more ethnocentric types but, it is what it is.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Most whites I've been around simply see me as an American. If being politically correct, they'll refer to me as AA. So much is made of black/white in the US but no other two groups in the US are as similar to one another as blacks and whites are. This may not sit well with the more ethnocentric types but, it is what it is.
the other AA's(Asian American) are just as close, if not closer. Any ethnic American group usually surpasses blacks in terms of favor within the White community. Ethnic whites like Italians and Irish are prime examples. they went from being in the same position as blacks, to being considered White-Americans. Sometimes familiar DNA patterns just trumps similar culture mores. White Hispanics like Cameron Diaz, and Emilio Estavez will get white roles, and be looked upon as all-american Whites. they'll never get Hispanic roles. Zoe Saldana will never get Hispanic roles either. She'll be looked upon as American-black.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,421,685 times
Quote:
the other AA's(Asian American) are just as close, if not closer. Any ethnic American group usually surpasses blacks in terms of favor within the White community. Ethnic whites like Italians and Irish are prime examples. they went from being in the same position as blacks, to being considered White-Americans. Sometimes familiar DNA patterns just trumps similar culture mores. White Hispanics like Cameron Diaz, and Emilio Estavez will get white roles, and be looked upon as all-american Whites. they'll never get Hispanic roles. Zoe Saldana will never get Hispanic roles either. She'll be looked upon as American-black.
I take issue with your first paragraph. How can White ethnics be taken as anything other than White? They never were the same position as Black. The discrimination the Irish, Italians or Jews faced in America does not compare to anything Black folks faced.

Cameron Diaz and Emilio Estavez have Hispanic surnames but both are not full Hispanic, were born in the USA to parents who were well assimilated into the American middle class. The country still resolves on a Black/White racial axis in due time Hispanics will either assimilate into the dominant White or Black cultures depending on their skin color, economic status etc.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 PM

56,534 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I will disagree. A possible longer lineage by anyone as stated before, doesn't make one more American and that there were NOT more blacks that were here before the Civil War its just that more whites immigrated after that war and decreased the % of those whites that were here before if you add up later ALL the whites together, the ones before and after. In other words the % of TOTAL whites waters down the ones that were here before the war but that doesn't make those initial whites less in terms of vs an initial black %. The high % of initial whites vs % of initial blacks will ALWAYS be higher for whites! Those numerous initial whites did not just die off just like those initial blacks. This is just all plain statistics.
That doesn't make sense, as if most Black Americans descended from those enslaved and the European immigration post Civil War increased(ie- Eastern and Southern European immigrants), then why wouldn't those percentages make sense? I think you are misinterpreting my point. What I'm referring to is by going by each population and making a percentage up in terms of their origins in this country, not by the size between the different groups.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM

56,534 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There's some truth to this but I think regional differences would emerge. For example I suspect a majority of Southern Whites & rural Whites could trace their ancestry to before the Civil War. Whereas your urban, suburban Whites the opposite would be true since these are the areas that received the lion share of White immigrants. This is really a function of math.
It is a function of history in terms of the immigration of European ethnic groups to the US. For instance, Italians largely descend from those that came here from Italy between 1880-1920. It is similar for those of Polish descent. It doesn't necessarily matter if they are urban, suburban or rural or even the region of the country, as it will depend on immigration patterns. Brazil did something similar to "Whiten" its country and in turn had immigration from countries like Italy, Poland, Germany and they also got immigrants from Japan(has highest Japanese population outside of Japan). So, this is something that occurred throughout the Western Hemisphere.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I meant closest racial, not ethnic groups. Asians and Hispanics have things in common but not as many as blacks and whites do in this country. Likewise, those two groups have more differences from whites than blacks do. Black Americans get their American cultural traits from whites so this only makes sense.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,320 times
There are some Africanisms that still exist in Black American like teeth sucking, the food, body movements, and music. But our culture is predominantly European based more so than the other African descended people in the Americas. Only strongly Afrocentrics would disagree with this.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't umderstamd how African Americans don't look African.

They do look the same to me.
Despite all this talk about AA being mixed,well,a majority are not.
Even if they are,its 80% African genes.
Everyone talks about Beyonce being mixed,and she is of course,but I'm 100% sure you can find an african woman who looks similiar to Beyonce without the mixture.

There are some AA you could plop in any African country and no one would take a second look.
I disagree with this. The one thing we are forgetting about Black Americans are that the majority are a mixture between vastly different looking West African tribes!

Like a Senegalese person looks distinct from a Nigerian person, but both of these peoples have mixed heavily in the America which will produce a slightly different look, combined with many AA's having European admixture that varies from person to person, that makes the average African American look quite distinct from the average West African.

I see West African immigrants on a daily basis, and the only West Africans I've mistaken for regular AA's are Caramel skinned Igbos from Nigeria. It's not only about the skin complexion, but the facial features, body builds, and mannerisms that are easily distinguishable for me.

Someone like Djimon Hounsou would stick out like a sore thumb beside most AA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or