U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:03 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,001,832 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

As a white person who group up in a predominately black area and was in the minority in school I would say that I never really thought of my black friends having any real connection to Africa just like I never felt I had any connection to Europe. We were all just Americans who's families had either been here for generations or who had come here more recently though our cultures had obviously been through different things on the past. I hope that wasn't wrong of me.

 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,834,678 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
As a white person who group up in a predominately black area and was in the minority in school I would say that I never really thought of my black friends having any real connection to Africa just like I never felt I had any connection to Europe. We were all just Americans who's families had either been here for generations or who had come here more recently though our cultures had obviously been through different things on the past. I hope that wasn't wrong of me.
No, it wasn't. As I suggested earlier, I feel that it's something only a person can decide for themselves.

If you put me in a room with someone from London and then in a room with someone from the Mozambique, I'm going to feel more of a kinship with the second individual.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 831,066 times
Reputation: 709
aframs have no real roots to afrika. most blacks are between 20 to 30% european, and add to that, their culture is mostly the slave culture they developed when they were slaves.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM
 
4,654 posts, read 3,719,480 times
Reputation: 1408
I think u still have a strong connection to Europe and worst u can't get rid of it,even if u want it.

The language is the base of the modern world communication as long as u speak english,u are a using a european language,the connection is always going to be there.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 831,066 times
Reputation: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I think u still have a strong connection to Europe and worst u can't get rid of it,even if u want it.

The language is the base of the modern world communication as long as u speak english,u are a using a european language,the connection is always going to be there.
a lot of aframs can't even speak proper english, sadly.......
 
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,445 posts, read 22,415,526 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
a lot of aframs can't even speak proper english, sadly.......
A lot of Americans in general can't speak proper English. I'm black and constantly hear white people I know who have some of the most abysmal grammar.

On the other note, scobby is dead on as painful as it is for some blacks to read. Unless we start learning some west African language and completely abandon using English altogether, we cannot say that we have no connection to Europe. Not only do we speak a European language but we also played a huge role in shaping and influencing it. We did the same thing with western music. Our ancestry is African but we are western people. We would stick out like sore thumbs in Africa if we were to set up communities there.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,834,678 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
A lot of Americans in general can't speak proper English. I'm black and constantly hear white people I know who have some of the most abysmal grammar.

On the other note, scobby is dead on as painful as it is for some blacks to read. Unless we start learning some west African language and completely abandon using English altogether, we cannot say that we have no connection to Europe. Not only do we speak a European language but we also played a huge role in shaping and influencing it. We did the same thing with western music. Our ancestry is African but we are western people. We would stick out like sore thumbs in Africa if we were to set up communities there.
I stick out like a sore thumb in neighborhoods just a few blocks from my own home, here in Houston.

I certainly never said I have no connection to Europe. Did someone else say that?
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,445 posts, read 22,415,526 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I stick out like a sore thumb in neighborhoods just a few blocks from my own home, here in Houston.

I certainly never said I have no connection to Europe. Did someone else say that?
I was speaking in general and wasn't the only one to say that. Why you decided to zero in on me is a tad bewildering considering that another poster was actually directing it at you.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,834,678 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I was speaking in general and wasn't the only one to say that. Why you decided to zero in on me is a tad bewildering considering that another poster was actually directing it at you.
I'm deliberately discussing this with you because you seem to be the only other level headed poster here now.
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,445 posts, read 22,415,526 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm deliberately discussing this with you because you seem to be the only other level headed poster here now.
Oh, well thanks for the compliment and I guess we'll continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top