U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Reputation: 4853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't put my finger on it. Her whole way just doesn't convince me. Frankly, I think I am just as African as her, but without all that Afrocentric behavior. For instance, does she know that African women are pretty conservative and would consider her lyrics vulgar and embarrassing?
Paying tribute to the heritage of her ancestors', does not mean that she needs to sacrifice her own voice to do so. I'm sure she knows full well that she is indeed American.

You say "Afrocentric" like it's a dirty word. It's certainly not a crime for any members of the diaspora to embrace it. And you're really not in any place to say whether or not it's authentic for any one individual.

 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,596,556 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I've already said that African Americans are not African.

What is it about her that gives you the idea that her style is fabricated? How are you so certain that she's not what she says she is?
Maybe it's all the weed. Is that an African thing?
 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,563 posts, read 19,363,879 times
Reputation: 8560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Paying tribute to the heritage of her ancestors', does not mean that she needs to sacrifice her own voice to do so. I'm sure she knows full well that she is indeed American.

You say "Afrocentric" like it's a dirty word. It's certainly not a crime for any members of the diaspora to embrace it. And you're really not in any place to say whether or not it's authentic for any one individual.
I did not say it is a fact. All I said is that she does not convince me and that in my view she is not authentic.

Well, I am indeed not a fan of Afrocentrism or any such - not seldom revisionist - movements. It has a rather negative connotation since guys like Clyde Winters entered the scene...
 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Maybe it's all the weed. Is that an African thing?
If you're asking "do they smoke weed in Africa?", then the answer is yes.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I did not say it is a fact. All I said is that she does not convince me and that in my view she is not authentic.

Well, I am indeed not a fan of Afrocentrism or any such - not seldom revisionist - movements. It has a rather negative connotation since guys like Clyde Winters entered the scene...
Afrocentrism doesn't have to be about Black Supremacy or other wild theories. It can simply be about taking pride in the heritage of your race. The fact that you can't recognize that seems to be a real problem to me.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
 
3,522 posts, read 3,931,723 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If you're asking "do they smoke weed in Africa?", then the answer is yes.
The weed culture is a lot more accepted in America than it is in Africa (where I'm from in Africa, idk too much about other regions..)

Where I'm from smoking weed leads to you being an outcast in society...in black America it's almost celebrated..
 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
The weed culture is a lot more accepted in America than it is in Africa (where I'm from in Africa, idk too much about other regions..)
I believe that's only due to Americans having more knowledge about the drug and its effects on the person using it.

Quote:
Where I'm from smoking weed leads to you being an outcast in society...in black America it's almost celebrated..
Only with the younger generations, really. Older blacks are generally much less accepting of its widespread use, even if they smoked it themselves in their younger days.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,444 posts, read 22,403,548 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I believe that's only due to Americans having more knowledge about the drug and its effects on the person using it.



Only with the younger generations, really. Older blacks are generally much less accepting of its widespread use, even if they smoked it themselves in their younger days.
Now maybe it's because I live in California and Washington but there are plenty of older Black Americans blazing away.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Now maybe it's because I live in California and Washington but there are plenty of older Black Americans blazing away.
There are older blacks here who do, as well, but they're largely outnumbered by the much more conservative individuals.
 
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,563 posts, read 19,363,879 times
Reputation: 8560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Afrocentrism doesn't have to be about Black Supremacy or other wild theories. It can simply be about taking pride in the heritage of your race. The fact that you can't recognize that seems to be a real problem to me.
Well, I personally can only take pride in what I have achieved myself, not in stuff that simply happened without my participation. I can not take pride in being white as that is no better than being another race or ethnicity (otherwise I would be a racist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top