U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
More Black-Americans could utilize the susu loan method that's popular with Africans and Caribbean Blacks.

A good article on this:

Franchise Profile - Jamaican Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com
I believe I stated this in another thread, but something I've always found interesting is that African Americans in France are viewed as a kind of "model minority."

"In many ways, African Americans came to France as a sort of privileged minority, a kind of model minority, if you will - a group that benefited not only from French fascination with blackness, but a French fascination about Americanness."

African Americans in France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the States, it's historically been West Indians and Africans who have attempted to distance themselves from the larger black community. But when I'm in France, it's sort of tough to not subconsciously think: "Don't lump me in with those West Indians and Africans!" African Americans are seen as the innovative, hard-working and intelligent blacks whereas Africans are seen as more threatening and unproductive.

So it makes me wonder if the differences are really cultural or is it simply that with immigrant communities you're largely dealing with a self-selected population that's typically more motivated/educated.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
As a white person who group up in a predominately black area and was in the minority in school I would say that I never really thought of my black friends having any real connection to Africa just like I never felt I had any connection to Europe. We were all just Americans who's families had either been here for generations or who had come here more recently
To the OP:
Their connection to Africa is no different than yours to Europe. The only reason you're not called European-American is because those who advance the cause of political correctness have nothing to gain by referring to white people as "European-Americans."

Regardless of skin color, native Africans who have immigrated to America are the only folks who can rightfully be called African-American.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM

16,436 posts, read 22,360,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
To the OP:
Their connection to Africa is no different than yours to Europe. The only reason you're not called European-American is because those who advance the cause of political correctness have nothing to gain by referring to white people as "European-Americans."

Regardless of skin color, native Africans who have immigrated to America are the only folks who can rightfully be called African-American.
I once worked with a white guy, light brown hair and some light eye color. He confused a lot of people because he put on his application that he was African-American. He was born in Cape Town South Africa. he used to always wonder why the term African American was used for us. Personally, I prefer Black American.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I once worked with a white guy, light brown hair and some light eye color. He confused a lot of people because he put on his application that he was African-American. He was born in Cape Town South Africa. he used to always wonder why the term African American was used for us. Personally, I prefer Black American.
Agree with you again for the second time.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
How many generations removed do you think the term can legitimately be used? Can the children of African immigrants born here in America use it? The grandchildren?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times
I typically never made a big deal over titles. I'm called both Black and African-American, and I use both interchangeably, without even thinking about it.

Call me either one. I just know what you'd better NOT call me.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is some good stuff, and it's great to see a real world example cited. It reminds me of this article:

The 33 Whitest Jobs in America - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
The sad thing is most of those jobs are high paying jobs that don't usually require a college education. And this leads to the fact that whites that don't have a college education make far more money than blacks that don't.

Many of these jobs are either agricultural or jobs that require skills that many hone working on farms. Henry Ford gained his mechanical acuity repairing heavy equipment on his fathers farm. Successful farms also are excellent sources of capital to use starting other enterprises.

Here are some very eye opening facts about Black Farming in the United States gathered by a PBS story.

* In 1920, 1 in every 7 farmers was black; in 1982, 1 in every 67 farmers was black.
* In 1910, black farmers owned 15 million acres of farmland; in 1982, black farmers owned 3.1 million acres of farmland.
* By the late 1980s, there were fewer than 2000 African-American farmers under the age of 25.
* Today, there are fewer than 18,000 black farmers, representing less than 1% of all farms in America.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 AM

6,559 posts, read 9,072,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But when I'm in France, it's sort of tough to not subconsciously think: "Don't lump me in with those West Indians and Africans!" African Americans are seen as the innovative, hard-working and intelligent blacks whereas Africans are seen as more threatening and unproductive.
As far as this part. I think it's about whites mainly having issues with the blacks they've oppressed and being more open to those they haven't oppressed. I mentioned earlier that back in the 60's when my mother was in college she saw how whites were more open to the African students in comparison to their attitudes towards Black-Americans because the Africans were "different". Similarly I've heard that during aparthied white South Africans had a better attitude towards Black-Americans than towards Black South Africans. So Whites will have more anxieties towards the Blacks they've oppressed and less towards those Blacks they haven't f-ked over it seems.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,542 times
Quote:
As far as this part. I think it's about whites mainly having issues with the blacks they've oppressed and being more open to those they haven't oppressed. I mentioned earlier that back in the 60's when my mother was in college she saw how whites were more open to the African students in comparison to their attitudes towards Black-Americans because the Africans were "different". Similarly I've heard that during aparthied white South Africans had a better attitude towards Black-Americans than towards Black South Africans. So Whites will have more anxieties towards the Blacks they've oppressed and less towards those Blacks they haven't f-ked over it seems.
True. Another reason I think White people in the Pacific North West and California tend to have less friction with Blacks since they are so low in percentage of the over all population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But when I'm in France, it's sort of tough to not subconsciously think: "Don't lump me in with those West Indians and Africans!" African Americans are seen as the innovative, hard-working and intelligent blacks whereas Africans are seen as more threatening and unproductive.
Many of the Africans in France are Muslim (some of them radical) and cling hard to their native culture. And France has a problem with alot of illegal Africans sneaking into the country the same way America has a lot of illegals from Mexico. These African illegals tend to be uneducated and many wind up being poor and living in public housing. In contrast the African Americans that move to France tend to be among the most educated and gifted from this country, are mostly Christian or non religious and are very respectful of French culture.

Last edited by Galounger; 11-27-2013 at 01:44 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
I think that's part of it. But I think another part of it is that they don't feel economically threatened by the presence of African Americans. First, the AA population is not large enough to give them any cause for concern. Second, they know that the AAs living there are going to be educated and employed (and legal), and will in all likelihood not be a drain on resources. It's the same way French or Brits living here in the U.S. (of any race) are not viewed the same as Salvadorans or Nicaraguans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Many of the Africans in France are Muslim (some of them radical) and cling hard to their native culture. And France has a problem with alot of illegal Africans sneaking into the country the same way America has a lot of illegals from Mexico. These African illegals tend to be uneducated and many wind up being poor and living in public housing. In contrast the African Americans that move to France tend to be among the most educated and gifted from this country, are mostly Christian or non religious and are very respectful of French culture.
Yes, I agree. It's just interesting how the dynamic that exists between Africans/African-Americans here gets completely inverted in France. Only it's much more advantageous to be an African American in France than it is to be an African in the U.S. because the former are coming from a country that the French view as the most powerful in the world. An American passport is like a "B*tch, please" card oftentimes.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-27-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or