U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,440,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There is another way to look at this ,perhaps the constant importation of slaves to South America prevented the Slave population from creating a unified culture apart from the culture of their colonizers so they quickly attached them selves to the culture of their colonizers and the indigenous people . Spanish culture had already been influenced by 500 years of rule by North African culture.

Not only did Slavery last longer in the US but the last documented Slave Ship, The Wanderer, came to the the US in around 1850. One well know diarist called plantations "Negro Villages" because on these large swaths of property lived only a few whites and up to 1000 slaves. I doubt that slaves would have been influenced by the presence of so few whites . Even in the cities Urban ghettos were created for hired out slaves to live amongst their own. It is highly unlikely that slaves would have been so impressed with their oppresors that they would try to emulate them.

The Majority of African Americans had very little contact with white people due to segregation. I my self didn't know a white person well enough to call them a friend untill after 1974. I can't imagine what it was like 100 or 200 years ago. Segregation causes people to feel diffrent and act diffrent from the people you are segregated from. This was corner stone of the Brown v Topeka board of education case that the Mennenger Foundation helped Brown win.

In Booker T. Washington's book Up From Slavery, he wrote that he was not impressed with the White people from his first contact with living with them, I don't think he sought to emulate them.
Slavery in the Caribbean not only predated slavery in the lands now called the USA but lasted longer. African- Americans had extensive contact with Whites this is not even true. I bet it would shock you and most people on this board but Blacks in the USA are more segregated now in terms of residence than they were in the 1940s.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,606 times
I took a DNA test and discovered I was 92% sub-Saharan African. That's pretty darn African. All that talk about AAs being 10-30% mixed was a lie

Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM

16,439 posts, read 22,376,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforever View Post
I took a DNA test and discovered I was 92% sub-Saharan African. That's pretty darn African. All that talk about AAs being 10-30% mixed was a lie
30-35% of Black Americans have 10-30% mixed genes which means 65-70% don't so it was not a lie. You simply belong to the 65-70%

Old 08-12-2013, 07:21 PM

47 posts, read 74,063 times
I keep hearing Africans ask this silly question. over the internet of course, but what I don't understand is why they think it is a special designation to be considered "African" in the first place? this is a rather disturbing and ridicules question. its as if some Africans are trying to make something out of absolutely nothing.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 AM

6,566 posts, read 9,079,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Princess View Post
I keep hearing Africans ask this silly question. over the internet of course, but what I don't understand is why they think it is a special designation to be considered "African" in the first place? this is a rather disturbing and ridicules question. its as if some Africans are trying to make something out of absolutely nothing.
Nothing wrong with examining cultures to see what those cultures are made up of or how various groups have influenced and shaped a culture.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 PM

6,065 posts, read 3,393,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Like, what's European about me?
Well for starters, you're speaking English

Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM

3,224 posts, read 4,722,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Like, what's European about me?
Americans of European descent have much more of their culture tied to Europe than Americans of African descent do with Africa. Language, religion, holidays, folk music, classical music, Western education, food etc... Its not to say that American blacks have nothing from Africa, but it was much more difficult for them to hang onto their culture given what slavery took from them when they arrived.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,895,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforever View Post
I didn't know you where the only AA

Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM

5,220 posts, read 8,040,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Americans of European descent have much more of their culture tied to Europe than Americans of African descent do with Africa. Language, religion, holidays, folk music, classical music, Western education, food etc... Its not to say that American blacks have nothing from Africa, but it was much more difficult for them to hang onto their culture given what slavery took from them when they arrived.
This is the case in almost every country in the Western Hemisphere. Even the blacks (by blacks I'm not including those of mixed race, because it has been the case ever since the mixed races came to existence that they took more of their European father's culture than that of their African or Indigenous mothers) from Latin America are mostly European in culture although not as European as the mixed race people (but white Latin Americans have more African influences than whites in the USA, for example.)

The African cultural influence that is present in many Latin American countries appears greater when compared to what happened in the USA, but if we were to dissect their cultures and compare them to Europe and Africa, Europe dominates in the cultural input of all the ethnic groups down there (with a few handful exceptions such as the few Indigenous tribes that still exist and live in isolated places really far away from modern society.)

I think the only American culture that is probably closer to African than it is to Europe is Haiti, but even there I think this can be debated. No one questions that Haiti is the most Africanized place on this side of the Americas on genetic and cultural aspects, but they might have more European influences than many people might be willing to accept.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This is the case in almost every country in the Western Hemisphere. Even the blacks (by blacks I'm not including those of mixed race, because it has been the case ever since the mixed races came to existence that they took more of their European father's culture than that of their African or Indigenous mothers) from Latin America are mostly European in culture although not as European as the mixed race people (but white Latin Americans have more African influences than whites in the USA, for example.)

The African cultural influence that is present in many Latin American countries appears greater when compared to what happened in the USA, but if we were to dissect their cultures and compare them to Europe and Africa, Europe dominates in the cultural input of all the ethnic groups down there (with a few handful exceptions such as the few Indigenous tribes that still exist and live in isolated places really far away from modern society.)

I think the only American culture that is probably closer to African than it is to Europe is Haiti, but even there I think this can be debated. No one questions that Haiti is the most Africanized place on this side of the Americas on genetic and cultural aspects, but they might have more European influences than many people might be willing to accept.
On the other hand, people may be underestimating the African cultural influence in the Western Hemisphere as well. Just think of music, food and even dialect as examples.

I also don't know if those that are mixed took on more of the European aspects either and there are isolated Black African communities in many places throughout the Western Hemisphere. So, even that isn't as cut and dry. Even in Canada, their are places like North Preston and Cherry Brook in Nova Scotia that are predominately Black, somewhat isolated communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or