Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,414,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I didn't say live. I said wanted as in feeling wanted. I don't know anything about their desires. Even if I did say that, how and why would that impact your life?People do say that all the time. We poke fun at them then get on with our lives. I live in the land of fruits and nuts and like it just like that. I'm one of the weirdos they're talking about and yes, people in California, indeed up and down the west coast are notoriously flaky and it can get annoying. I never said it was perfect, just my preference once again. Again, why are you allowing that to have such an impact on you? It's not like people are going to stop doing it because you think they ought to. If it's not affecting your day to day life, just roll your eyes and move on. If it is affecting your life, then there is something more here that needs to be addressed.
It's cool. Not that serious. Can't say for certain about Houston but you need to come check out Atlanta sometime. It's amazing the variety of Black people you find in this Metro. I'm sure their are tons that won't judge you no matter how off key you are. You probably would fit in and feel totally accepted and appreciated from Blacks and whites alike in places like Little Five Points, Decatur,Old 4th Ward and most of the other up and coming Intown hoods.

Last edited by Galounger; 11-21-2013 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,275,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It's cool. Not that serious. Can't say for certain about Houston but you need to come check out Atlanta sometime. It's amazing the variety of Black people you find in this Metro. I'm sure their are tons that won't judge you no matter how off key you are. You probably would fit in and feel totally accepted and appreciated from Blacks and whites alike in places like Little Five Points, Decatur and most of the other Intown hoods.
You're not the first person to tell me that about the Atlanta area actually.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,414,745 times
Back to the original topic. When in college in Ohio I used to sit and study, talk (more talk than study) in the library a few times with some of the African students. One from Ghana, two from Kenya, I think the other was from Ghana also. This alone set me off from the other African American students whom did nothing to interact with the African students. The African students played their part in this distance between the two groups as well. They identified more strongly with the other international students mostly from Asia and the Middle East and rarely did I see them socialize with African Americans.

Some of the conversations we had were eye opening. In some ways I don't think the African students liked AA's too much. In fact actually, they would praise certain things about African Americans and had certain African Americans they looked up to before ever coming here. But, they couldn't believe or understand how so many blacks in America were living in poverty and uneducated or poorly educated when they had opportunities that most in Africa could only dream of. They also did not care for the gangsta music and style that was in vogue among so many AA's back then.

It's not like they thought they were flawless. They acknowledged their countries had serious problems with corruption and greed among it's leaders and other self imposed problems.

I also remember them joking and laughing about how many really obese people they saw in the States. I guess making fun of fat Americans has been an international sport for a long time now.

Last edited by Galounger; 11-21-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 AM

7,513 posts, read 11,305,976 times
Quote:

But, they couldn't believe or understand how so many blacks in America were living in poverty and uneducated or poorly educated when they had opportunities that most in Africa could only dream of.
To me this is related to how Black-Americans have gotten sidetracked from economic self help since 60's integration. Before integration you had "Black Wallstreet" communities where black businesses and banks were common. These things are lacking in Black-America today because during the civil rights era blacks becamed focused on wealth redistribution to deal with economic issues over wealth creation through business ownership. This wealth redistribution focus became the main agenda of Black-America but it caused Black-Americans to de-emphasize business ownership which would provide more jobs and help to reduce black poverty. When other blacks come to America like Africans and Caribbeans they come here with more of an entreprenurial mindset. This is what Black-Americans need to get back to.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:26 AM

7,513 posts, read 11,305,976 times
Quote:

But, they couldn't believe or understand how so many blacks in America were living in poverty and uneducated or poorly educated when they had opportunities that most in Africa could only dream of.
Another thing is how familiar were those African students with the barriers that Black-Americans have had to deal with? My mother went to college in the 60's and joked how it seemed like the African students had integrated before Black-Americans because whites viewed the African students as being "different" from American Blacks.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM

433 posts, read 845,259 times
Someone on here commented about Afro-Brazilians going back to Nigeria and how Caribbean Blacks and Afro-Latinos seem to have more remnants of African culture than African-Americans. That is because The United States had a different model for slavery. Latin America emphasized working a slave to death and then just purchase a new one from Africa. So there was always a constant stream of new Africans coming in. This is why when you look at the records those countries had negative birthrates among slave whereas America had positive birthrates. The U.S. did not Officially (a few still got in though) import any more slaves from Africa after the early 1800's. Instead they focused on having their current slaves reproduce for more slaves. This is why only around 400,000 Africans were imported to the U.S. compared with over 10 million to the rest of the new world but the United States has the second largest Black population in the new world after Africa. My point the rest of the new world always had a constant stream of Africans coming in and Africans were always the majority during slavery as compared to native born Blacks. This allowed them to retain more of their culture.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,275,380 times
Motion and missstatedawg, very good posts!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,475,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
African students had integrated before Black-Americans because whites viewed the African students as being "different" from American Blacks.
Just divide and rule. The white "master" divides the natives and laughs while they each pull the other down.

Reality check is that Sub Saharan Africans are the most educated immigrants, but certainly do not have the highest household incomes. That is a fact that must be discussed. Do Africans have poor social skills, and so cant get jobs that use their training...or is it just that R word raising its head.

Now what will be interesting is if one compared AAs and Africans with comparable levels of education. AAs will beat Africans by a mile.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,475,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Someone on here commented about Afro-Brazilians going back to Nigeria and how Caribbean Blacks and Afro-Latinos seem to have more remnants of African culture than African-Americans. That is because The United States had a different model for slavery. Latin America emphasized working a slave to death and then just purchase a new one from Africa. So there was always a constant stream of new Africans coming in. This is why when you look at the records those countries had negative birthrates among slave whereas America had positive birthrates. The U.S. did not Officially (a few still got in though) import any more slaves from Africa after the early 1800's. Instead they focused on having their current slaves reproduce for more slaves. This is why only around 400,000 Africans were imported to the U.S. compared with over 10 million to the rest of the new world but the United States has the second largest Black population in the new world after Africa. My point the rest of the new world always had a constant stream of Africans coming in and Africans were always the majority during slavery as compared to native born Blacks. This allowed them to retain more of their culture.
yes. Quite true. 400k imported directly from Africa and maybe another 100-200k imported from the Caribbean. Yet by 1865 there were 4 million slaves, and of course hundreds of thousands of free blacks.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,264,049 times
Quote:
It's cool. Not that serious. Can't say for certain about Houston but you need to come check out Atlanta sometime. It's amazing the variety of Black people you find in this Metro. I'm sure their are tons that won't judge you no matter how off key you are. You probably would fit in and feel totally accepted and appreciated from Blacks and whites alike in places like Little Five Points, Decatur,Old 4th Ward and most of the other up and coming Intown hoods.
The exact same is true for virtually all of the major southern metros. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are filled with blacks from all over the world, from different walks of life. My ex was born and raised in Toronto, and one of my best friends is from Guyana. They both love Houston.

Everyone's different, and most people won't be concerned with your own personal creed, as long as you don't pass judgment on theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa