U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times

Advertisements

I just saw these two viewpoints expressed in diffeent threads. Maybe it is time to discuss the status of women in Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
[Homosexuals] will achieve equality before women. Many African women lead sexually unfulfilled lives . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
[African-American] matriarchal family structures are African.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,769,425 times
umm... Prevalence of female genital mutilation by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's nothing to discuss, it's deeply, deeply misogynistic. It's rampant and tightly woven into society all over the continent. There's not a more dangerous place to be a woman in the world than central Africa.

It's an absolute non-discussion. There is no possible comprehensible way you could have any other view on this subject other than "the status of women in Africa ranges from systematically oppressed to in constant and serious life-threatening danger"

Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
umm... Prevalence of female genital mutilation by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's nothing to discuss, . . .
It's an absolute non-discussion."
You're saying if there are still a few places where FGM occurs, the status of women is zero, and if FGM does not occur at all, the status of women is 100? No other criteria exist for the evaluation of the status of women.

You sound like an American, saying if people have the right to vote, the level of civil rights is 100, and if they do not have a vote, their civil rights is zero. There is nothing else to discuss.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,931,723 times
I know how it was previously...going forward though every African girl should be treated like the queen she is....

African girls are the best out there...and that's real.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're saying if there are still a few places where FGM occurs, the status of women is zero, and if FGM does not occur at all, the status of women is 100? No other criteria exist for the evaluation of the status of women.

You sound like an American, saying if people have the right to vote, the level of civil rights is 100, and if they do not have a vote, their civil rights is zero. There is nothing else to discuss.
That's not what I'm saying at all oh my god

If you seriously think the status of women in Africa is anywhere within a 500 mile radius of acceptable, that's disgusting and majorly offensive and you definitely don't know enough to be a part of a discussion about women's rights anywhere.

and that's not even a real stereotype about americans like ???? what were you even going for with that one

what the hell are you trying to prove with this thread? I can't think of many things more offensive than trying to convince people that african policies and cultural attitudes about women are even a little bit healthy

I mean WESTERN policies and cultural attitudes about women are not even a little bit healthy.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
That's not what I'm saying at all oh my god

what the hell are you trying to prove with this thread?
Why don't you go back and try again, and tell us what you were really trying to say in your first post, using civil language, if you know any.

What does it say, exactly, in the OP's words, that indicates that the OP is "trying to prove" anything? Select, from the Opening Proposition of this thread, the words the OP used in trying to prove something, and analyze that comment for us.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,277,296 times
The majority of African communities are strongly patriarchal, not matriarchal. This is painfully obvious when looking at crimes against women and children, polygamy, and the educational disadvantages facing girls. A good example of this across multiple communities is the struggle to get people to use contraceptives. In the majority of communities it is the men who determine whether or not contraceptives should be used, hence the high incidence of HIV transmission and the high birth rate.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
and the educational disadvantages facing girls..
Not statistically supported. Seven of the top 12 countries in the world in ratio of girls to boys in primary education are in Africa, and even in the worst African countries, more than 40% of all primary school children are girls.

Female Enrolment Share primary level statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

In ten African countries, the literacy rate among young adults is higher among women than among men.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ed...tes-aged-15-24

African countries, like the rest of the underdeveloped world, are quickly learning that boys will leave their education to go and get grunt jobs, while the girls can be depended upon to stay in school and acquire skills needed for jobs that require intellectual learning.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,931,723 times
It's also interesting to note that Africa already has had its first woman president and politically, in some countries, (like Rwanda), they're really well represented. Last I heard they actually had a majority in parliament...(may be a bit outdated...)

Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM

671 posts, read 598,192 times
Africa is too diverse to have one statement apply to the whole continent in terms of family structure. Whereas there are some matrilineal family structures (i.e. Igbo, Ashanti) there are also many Patrilineal family structures (i.e. Fon, Bambara). However I don't know of any matriarchal societies in the sense that women dominate family, social, and political life. If anyone knows of one where the men look good let me know because I'd love to visit lol!

As far as the idea of female equality defined as just being treated as if our lives have the same value as that of a man the continent has a very long way to go. In general women are largely thought of as objects whose worth hinges upon their sexuality in terms of either virginity (shame to the family)/marriage-worthiness or motherhood. Many cultures do not consider a woman to be a real wife until she has had children. However any lasting change will come from African women because we perpetuate what exists by raising our sons and daughters to mimic us. We also have the most to gain by fighting for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or