U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Allendale MI
2,532 posts, read 1,899,513 times
Reputation: 698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Learning from the Americans to redefine the economic indicators in order to give the appearance of an economy that best suits the interests of the entrenched oligarchy.
Every country does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,673,934 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I understand that you can't make a simple comparison between Singapore and Africa as a whole. But certain fundamental things are common to most developed countries that are lacking in many African countries. For example most developed countries(Singapore included)have both a mixed economy and a legal system that supports their country's economic activity.

Many of Africa's legal/judicial systems are under developed. In many African countries you can find many disputes over land and property because it's not clear from a legal standpoint who owns what. I saw a video where a Ugandan lawyer was trying to get more property there titled because about 80% of property in Uganda had no clear owner. This lack of clear property ownership makes it difficult to know who should be benefiting from the use of land and other property.
For the umpteenth time, Singapore is not a country in the sense that Nigeria and Ethiopia are countries.

Singapore is nothing but a TRADE CITY, nothing more, nothing less. If you guys know anything about the history of Singapore you would know that it was nothing but a British trading port; a way to get goods in and out of Asia, and duck import/export tariffs from the many Asian countries at the time who were trying to hinder the British and other Europeans from gaining power in this region of the world.

Like it was in the past and it is today, Singapore is nothing but a tax haven for imports and exports, that's why all of it's wealth comes from trade. There are no natural resources in Singapore. They basically import goods in to make other goods, and collect taxes on anything that moves in and out of the port.


It is a nothing but a center of wealth in Southeast Asia just like New York City is a center of wealth in North America. This is nothing but textbook capitalism. New York and Singapore are nothing but PORT CITIES and therefore centers of trade.

Singapore is not a country; it is a part of the new and improved British Empire (see neocolonialism).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,673,934 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Singapore has a larger population than several African states and has significant ethnic diversity and tensions.
New York City also has a larger population than several African states and has significant ethnic diversity and tensions. I don't see how this changes the fact that New York City is a CITY and African countries are COUNTRIES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,673,934 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Not just Singapore, but Taiwan, Hong Kong & S. Korea. All of the "tiger economies" that saw rapid development over the course of a few decades can provide lessons for Africa. And indeed would already have done so had Africa wise leadership.

The single biggest difference btw Africa and these Asian nations in the post-colonial period was leadership. Asias leaders, though flawed were highly patriotic and cared about national prestige and national competitiveness.
Africa came into the hands of cunning praetorian generals who were concerned with enriching themselves and their clique rather than national progress.

Also, the statements earlier in this thread about economic systems is correct. We see how nations like Vietnam and China were crippled early on by marxism, and how they are now playing catch-up. North Korea & South Korea, same people, originally same culture, but very different levels of development currently.
People, let's be honest, these "Asian Tigers" are nothing but European strongholds in Asia; and when I say European, I mean white. As in the white countries throw money at these places, make sure they are developed and prospering, so they can give themselves strong influence in this region where countries like China, North Korea, Indonesia, and Vietnam are threats to European hegemony.

It is the same thing with Israel. Israel is considered a developed country, but it is in a region where it is surrounded by poor countries. Do you think that is an accident? Why is Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt poor countries, but we have this little strip of land called Israel as rich and prosperous?

Answer: white countries throw money at it, specifically the United States. Israel is nothing but the unrecognized 51st state of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Allendale MI
2,532 posts, read 1,899,513 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
People, let's be honest, these "Asian Tigers" are nothing but European strongholds in Asia; and when I say European, I mean white. As in the white countries throw money at these places, make sure they are developed and prospering, so they can give themselves strong influence in this region where countries like China, North Korea, Indonesia, and Vietnam are threats to European hegemony.

It is the same thing with Israel. Israel is considered a developed country, but it is in a region where it is surrounded by poor countries. Do you think that is an accident? Why is Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt poor countries, but we have this little strip of land called Israel as rich and prosperous?

Answer: white countries throw money at it, specifically the United States. Israel is nothing but the unrecognized 51st state of the US.
South Korea and Japan don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:11 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,673,934 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
South Korea and Japan don't agree.
South Korea and Japan are US occupied territories. Why you think there are permanent US military bases over in those countries?

Japan lost in WWII and got subjugated by the white countries. They subsequently got brought into the club, but not before the US made Japan rewrite it's constitution, and made it illegal for Japan to establish it's own national military. If you are not aware, it is illegal for Japan to establish a national military. Thus if somebody decides to invade Japan, then who is coming to Japan's rescue? Answer: The United States, because that is United States territory.

Japan had territories it controlled on the mainland of Asia at the time of WWII. After Japan lost the war, it had to pull out of these territories, causing a power vacuum in these territories.

The US had regimes in these territories it was supporting against the Japanese. In China the US was supporting the Koumintang government, who also were fighting the Chinese communists led By Mao Tse-Tung. The Chinese communists won on the mainland, and the Koumintang government fled to Taiwan. Taiwan is a prosperous and developed country because they have been and still are supported by the white countries.

Japan also controlled the Korean peninsula; when they pulled out a Civil War broke out between communists and capitalists; the US sent in actual troops during the Korean War to support the capitalists; communists and capitalists fought to a stalemate; they came up with an agreement: Capitalists get the south, and Communists get the north.

It should be no suprise to anyone that South Korean and Japanese companies are big in the United States; they got bought into the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
 
4,454 posts, read 5,761,167 times
Reputation: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
South Korea and Japan are US occupied territories. Why you think there are permanent US military bases over in those countries?

Japan lost in WWII and got subjugated by the white countries. They subsequently got brought into the club, but not before the US made Japan rewrite it's constitution, and made it illegal for Japan to establish it's own national military. If you are not aware, it is illegal for Japan to establish a national military. Thus if somebody decides to invade Japan, then who is coming to Japan's rescue? Answer: The United States, because that is United States territory.

Japan had territories it controlled on the mainland of Asia at the time of WWII. After Japan lost the war, it had to pull out of these territories, causing a power vacuum in these territories.

The US had regimes in these territories it was supporting against the Japanese. In China the US was supporting the Koumintang government, who also were fighting the Chinese communists led By Mao Tse-Tung. The Chinese communists won on the mainland, and the Koumintang government fled to Taiwan. Taiwan is a prosperous and developed country because they have been and still are supported by the white countries.

Japan also controlled the Korean peninsula; when they pulled out a Civil War broke out between communists and capitalists; the US sent in actual troops during the Korean War to support the capitalists; communists and capitalists fought to a stalemate; they came up with an agreement: Capitalists get the south, and Communists get the north.

It should be no suprise to anyone that South Korean and Japanese companies are big in the United States; they got bought into the club.
How do you explain that there are European countries asking for China for assistance on their economy?

During the first official day of her visit to China, German Chancellor Angela Merkel sought support from Beijing for aid in solving the common currency crisis that burdens the European economy.

On Thursday, Wen offered the prospect of China providing more money to the euro bailout mechanisms -- both the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF) and its successor, the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) -- but he offered no concrete agreements. A Trio of Crises: Merkel Looking for Help During Visit to China - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM
 
574 posts, read 1,673,934 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
How do you explain that there are European countries asking for China for assistance on their economy?

During the first official day of her visit to China, German Chancellor Angela Merkel sought support from Beijing for aid in solving the common currency crisis that burdens the European economy.

On Thursday, Wen offered the prospect of China providing more money to the euro bailout mechanisms -- both the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF) and its successor, the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) -- but he offered no concrete agreements. A Trio of Crises: Merkel Looking for Help During Visit to China - SPIEGEL ONLINE
You ever heard of the phrase "if you can't beat em, join em." China isnt a podunk country like Afghanistan and Iraq. They just cant run in there and take it over. Some regimes you have no choice but to do legitimate business with them. That doesnt mean the white countries like it; its just business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,324 posts, read 23,803,150 times
Reputation: 11740
This singapore model might make sense if it were something like zanzibar or cape town becoming their kwn sovereign nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This singapore model might make sense if it were something like zanzibar or cape town becoming their kwn sovereign nations.
I've thought of Zanzibar, and how different it might be if not conjoined with Tanganyika. But then, Cape Verde, the Comoros, Djibouti and Equatorial Guinea don't seem to have done much with their similar situations.

I think Zanzibar is heavily Muslim-Arab, which might have put the kobosh on their hopes of getting a Disney World.

Actually, Zanzibar was an independent republic for 5 months, during which there was continuous civil war and genocide, in a country that had been perfectly peaceful before the British got there..

Last edited by jtur88; 08-16-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top