Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times

Advertisements

This is the title of a recent BBC news article regarding the use of skin bleaching products in Africa. I find it very sad that people do this. And isn't it funny that people that are white wish they were darker and continue to tan despite what it can do to the skin. In the photo, the woman who is a musician has used expensive bleaching products. She has 2 attractive darker children, what message does that send to them as they grow up? That they are not OK as they are. She can liken it to getting a nose job or breast enhancement, but this is something much more deep rooted. I'm one that does find black is beautiful, I find darker women more attractive. I don't think she is more attractive lighter or find her color more appealing. Some will go to great lengths to use these products despite warnings of the chemicals used in the formulas and the hazards of long term use. To feel so inferior you don't care if you damage your skin and looks long term, its a says much about history and the present day. Who are they comparing themselves to? Celebrities and others they perceive as being wealthy. The big name companies are making sizable profits, they have no ethics regarding what they sell, 10 billion dollars globally by 2015. Nigeria leads the world with the highest percentage (77%) of women using skin-lightening products according to the WHO. Governments needs to ban these products completely just for the real health problems that can occur. And those bleaching their children, that's just not right at all. I think its a topic worth some discussion, as it represents both health and societal issues. Though I don't want this thread turning into a racial rant. If you wish to contribute please be civil and keep to the topic of the thread.

BBC News - Africa: Where black is not really beautiful

This second article is actually better than the first.
Skin Whitening is a Self-Denying Legacy of Colonialism | Think Africa Press

Beauty in Nigeria: Lighter shades of skin | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
It seems to be that the blame for this self esteem issue is always placed on colonialism. The truth is that most cultures of the world have valued lighter features for all recorded time. I have light brown/dark blonde hair and I even highlight it to make it look lighter (It looks very good btw. lol). Colonialism had no bearing on my mind, nor do I have any jealousy towards people who have lighter hair than I. I just want to make myself look good.

I don't think there is anything wrong about wanting to change someone's appearance. The concern I would have in this situation is that these chemicals that bleach skin are very dangerous. One of my Dominican friends has an aunt that is blind due to overuse of skin bleaching agents.

'Light is in' is probably here to stay, as it has always been. Perhaps rather than try in vain to change people's attitudes towards this we should try to make attaining lighter features a safer process.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Same thing in Latinamerica
I bet $1 million that the reason is Hollywood always pushing the idea that white=good, black=bad

Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
'Light is in' is probably here to stay, as it has always been. Perhaps rather than try in vain to change people's attitudes towards this we should try to make attaining lighter features a safer process.
Don't think there is such a thing as a safe way to lighten something as inherent as skin color. Even many hair-straightening products, which are less invasive than putting something all over your skin, can be harmful, as is the case with Brazilian blowouts.

Brazilian Blowout Consumer Alert: Possible Formaldehyde Danger | Video - ABC News

And, even if there were a safe way to do it without compromising one's health, why should someone be forced to spend all the money/time this would require, to subscribe to someone else's standard of what's beautiful?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Then explain why many Whites tan in order to be darker or why some dye their hair blonde? Just examples of the human condition. Don't get me started on the Botox for "Fuller" lips or even butt lifts by many Whites as well. So, it isn't exclusive to one country or race of people.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
isn't it funny that people that are white wish they were darker and continue to tan despite what it can do to the skin.
It isn't funny or confusing. Most people around the world agree that the most attractive skin tone is light brown. People whose skin is naturally white or dark brown are both striving for the same goal.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The truth is that most cultures of the world have valued lighter features for all recorded time.
How do you know this?

This current day obsession with lightness is more than likely the results of white domination of the world since the colonial period.

Why do black kids choose the white doll as the pretty doll? Because in America you grow up with white dominance in so many areas. You see whites in power so much,white women on the majority of magazine covers,the majority of the people on TV shows and in the movies are white etc. This shapes the minds of the black kids who keep choosing the white dolls as the more desirable dolls.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
One solution to this is for more black and darker skinned people to get wealthy and create their own media to reflect them.

People are attracted to white/light skin because it's associated with wealth and power in the world. White people are viewed as the rich people in the world. So if more darker skinned people would become wealthy and then create their own media that reflects them, similar to what whites have done,then this would offset this association of whiteness with wealth and power. More darker skinned people will become wealthy as they adopt and implement better economic reforms in their countries.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I can't count the times I've heard a white/Caucasian/European woman exclaim "OMG I'm so white!" or when wearing shorts for the first time in the summer saying "My legs are so pale!". And then they race for the nearest tanning salon or lay out in the sun despite the danger trying to get that golden brown look. I've been guilty of tanning before a trip to Hawaii just so I wouldn't look like a pasty-skinned tourist and could better blend in with the locals.

People can't leave themselves alone. Simple as that. Its nothing new, every culture does it in a myriad of different ways. People are never satisfied with how they look. Plastic surgery, tattoos, piercings, gauged ears (Africa gave the world that mutilation), tanning/lightening skin, dying hair, makeup, etc, etc, etc... Maybe there is some cultural imperative in Africa towards skin lightening that reflects an admiration/envy of European racial characteristics, but the tinkering with the appearance of the human body is old as humanity itself.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It isn't funny or confusing. Most people around the world agree that the most attractive skin tone is light brown. People whose skin is naturally white or dark brown are both striving for the same goal.
I accidentally Repped you instead of responding!

I've traveled to various continents and am from a "third world" country. I would say most non-white people's image of "attractive" is as white as imaginably possible.

And as a black person, hey people who are "naturally dark" are not striving for the same goal. I'm not doing any skin-bleaching and I enjoy natural vitamin-d and tanning. So I can survive to inherit the world we've crapped up.

But WAH apparently the majority of marrigeable African guys are looking for women of the "first color." IE the lighter colored skin. I don't think they're going to spit on a white woman, either. ke ke ke. Because her skin is too white. Almost all guys love white women...even non-tanned/brown women.

Has anyone posted pictures of bleaching African ladies?

Anyway, I am too tired to look for them, but in Senegal it is a big enough issue there's an anti-bleaching campaign.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa