U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,835,980 times

Advertisements

This thread turned out just as I expected it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Obfuscation, you seem good at it. You have time and time again spoke about things you know nothing about and I have proven that. Now you are trying to hide behind claims that you supposedly have been to Sierra Leone, which I find impossible. You claimed Krios (you didn't even know their name) were dominant in Sierra Leone, wrong. You claimed West Africans are Bantus, wrong. If you actually did visit Sierra Leone, you would have known about the krio settlements, and known that they are a marginalized group. So my conclusions are as follows 1. you know nothing about Sierra Leone or Africa in general and 2. You seem to invent fantasies to back up your ineptitude, as it relates to Africa.
I never said Krios were dominant, I said their language is, or at least, historically was. The fact that I didn't use their name in my post doesn't mean that I did not know it, but when traveling all over Africa, one does not learn the name of every tribe in every village and remember it decades later, since I've been in most of the countries of Africa. "Bantu" is a word widely used by ethnographers to describe the peoples of Africa who speak Bantu-related languages (including Niger-Congo) or have been heavily influenced by Bantu culture.

In late June of 1976 (probably before you were even born), I flew from Abidjan to Madrid with a two week stopover in Monrovia. While in Liberia, I went overland to Sierra Leone (on wooden benches in the back of a pickup truck), where I stayed for 4 or 5 days, mostly in Freetown, with an overnight stop in Bo. I stayed at the City Hotel, and sat on the veranda each evening watching the bats flying out of the palm trees. It was a wonderful adventure to go to the movies almost every night, as American black power pictures were very popular then, as well as Bollywood before that genre got spoiled by internationalism. I'm sorry you have missed out on it -- Sierra Leone is a wonderful country to experience. Maybe you can still go there sometime, and not have to depend on second-hand reports for your knowledge of the country.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM

48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This thread turned out just as I expected it to.
Sadly, it is no surprise that it turns out like this,

Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Question jtur88, Is Sierra Leone below the Sahara, haha.

Are people in Sierra Leone 'sort of black' like the ones in Ethiopia, haha.
Yes, haha..

No, haha.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,435,683 times
Quote:
Question jtur88, Is Sierra Leone below the Sahara, haha.

Are people in Sierra Leone 'sort of black' like the ones in Ethiopia, haha.
Do you know the history of Liberia and Sierra Leone, I mean even on a superficial basis?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,435,683 times
Good God now Krios are marganilized. They were the civil servants under the Brits and some of their families dominated the country but they were marginalized. I can't with you people you simply make stuff up. Every Sierra Leonean I've ever met spoke Creole even the ones who were Muslim and they make up the vast majority.

It was only recently that the "Africans" in Liberia gained any modicum of power. The power, economy was firmly in the hands of Americo-Liberians. The Americos viewed the Africans a little bit better than savages. I worked with one Liberian African girl who had these wretched tribal markings all on her stomach and back. I could tell coming to the USA was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Last edited by EdwardA; 09-10-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,485,772 times
Quote:
LOL, dude you are definitely a troll, and an entertaining one at that.

No one who has stepped foot on the continent would say the things you've said in this post.

I bet all your history of Africa comes from the writings of Joseph Conrad, lol. I bet you went to school on a Rhodes Scholarship, if you know of Cecil Rhodes.
ROFL

I don't think many will get that one lol

May he rot in hell!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If course from a humanity perspective, everyone traces their ancestry back to Africa but I think the big question is "Are they of recent African descent?" I'm not saying that there are no possibilities it's just that I would love to see indisputably prove that they were indeed of African descent. We already know that the Olmecs were a Meso-American civilization.
I posted a video above, you should check it out and then find that Researchers work. I don't know how recent the blacks were (if they were indeed black), but there is a compelling argument to say they were there. You should also do a google search for "Christopher Columbus diary AND Harvard professors" there was a very interesting research article posted about and Africans being found in the new world. There is one other thing i can add but i need to find a link first.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never said Krios were dominant, I said their language is, or at least, historically was. The fact that I didn't use their name in my post doesn't mean that I did not know it, but when traveling all over Africa, one does not learn the name of every tribe in every village and remember it decades later, since I've been in most of the countries of Africa. "Bantu" is a word widely used by ethnographers to describe the peoples of Africa who speak Bantu-related languages (including Niger-Congo) or have been heavily influenced by Bantu culture.

In late June of 1976 (probably before you were even born), I flew from Abidjan to Madrid with a two week stopover in Monrovia. While in Liberia, I went overland to Sierra Leone (on wooden benches in the back of a pickup truck), where I stayed for 4 or 5 days, mostly in Freetown, with an overnight stop in Bo. I stayed at the City Hotel, and sat on the veranda each evening watching the bats flying out of the palm trees. It was a wonderful adventure to go to the movies almost every night, as American black power pictures were very popular then, as well as Bollywood before that genre got spoiled by internationalism. I'm sorry you have missed out on it -- Sierra Leone is a wonderful country to experience. Maybe you can still go there sometime, and not have to depend on second-hand reports for your knowledge of the country.
This is funny

So here is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you ever been in Sierra Leone, yourself, personally? I have.

Let's clarify that before we talk about who know what about where.

Then, Sierra Leone (along with Liberia) are unique in Africa in that much of the present population is descended from slaves, returned from America, and brought the languages of the Americas back along with them. As such, they are largely ultimately of Bantu cultural origin, but their culture has been influenced by the New World.
link

Again you don't know what your talking about, so the rest is irrelevant, made up non sense and not really worth addressing.

I should add, its rather unsettling that a adult would sit around making up weird lies, i mean whats the point?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Good God now Krios are marganilized. They were the civil servants under the Brits and some of their families dominated the country but they were marginalized. I can't with you people you simply make stuff up. Every Sierra Leonean I've ever met spoke Creole even the ones who were Muslim and they make up the vast majority.

It was only recently that the "Africans" in Liberia gained any modicum of power. The power, economy was firmly in the hands of Americo-Liberians. The Americos viewed the Africans a little bit better than savages. I worked with one Liberian African girl who had these wretched tribal markings all on her stomach and back. I could tell coming to the USA was the best thing that ever happened to her.
Krios in 2013 have NO POWER in Sierra Leone, they only make up 2% of the population; and yes they are marginalized. That is something Google may not explain to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or