U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 PM

334 posts, read 358,874 times

Advertisements

You'd have to go back to ancient times before Arabs, Romans, Asians, Jews, and Muslims came into Africa and penetrated and colonized it.

Africa has been colonized since ancient times that it's hard to know what Africa would have been like.

Also the landmass of Africa is an imposed name on a landmass. All of these conventions and concepts are social constructs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:58 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
You'd have to go back to ancient times before Arabs, Romans, Asians, Jews, and Muslims came into Africa and penetrated and colonized it.

Africa has been colonized since ancient times that it's hard to know what Africa would have been like.

Also the landmass of Africa is an imposed name on a landmass. All of these conventions and concepts are social constructs.
You make this blanket statement about African being colonized since ancient times, as if Africa is a monolith.

FYI in the early 19th century Africa had quite powerful kingdoms and empires which were strong enough to keep Europeans out. The Kingdoms of the Ashanti, Yoruba, Dahomey and others traded with Europeans and prevented Europeans from encroaching on their lands. Slaves and other materials procured from the interior were only available through these kingdoms. When tey Europeans didn't comply these kingdoms simply refused to trade with them.

So one cannot say that Africa was colonized since ancient times, when most of West Africa only fell under European control in the late 19th century. Ditto for most of southern Africa. Not to talk about Ethiopia.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM

48,086 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCarr View Post
Ife Art from Nigeria

Benin Bronze

these are not Arab influenced, do you see this in Muslim north African? no
This is good stuff.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Timbuktu Manuscripts

Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,460,030 times
All the African kingdoms situated in the Guinea gulf and Sub-Saharan West Africa had a written system of their own?
If, instead, they used Arabic script, how did they manage to adapt it to their language?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,513,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
All the African kingdoms situated in the Guinea gulf and Sub-Saharan West Africa had a written system of their own?
If, instead, they used Arabic script, how did they manage to adapt it to their language?

They used a form of Arabic called Ajami

Prior to that, there was limited use if a few ideographic writing systems such as Nsibidi and Adrinka, and I have seen it claimed that there was limited use of Tifinagh, although the evidence is scarce.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 PM

687 posts, read 694,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Let me also add this: The Latin alphabet, which was spread by Europeans throughout Africa, Asia, and the Americas, is originally derived from the Phoenician alphabet. Of note is that the Phoenicians were from the middle east (present day Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Jordan). Would we say that the people of the middle east are more advanced culturally than Europeans because they gave their language symbols to Europeans?
Correct, written language began in the fertile crescent. It makes sense that cuneiform spread outward from Sumer into other regions, and that changes were made en route and also upon arrival to destination. These changes happened somewhat organically over dozens or hundreds of years.

Egyptian heiroglyphics though depicting a written language, was not an alphabet per se, it was a "logography". East Asian languages including modern (an ancient) Chinese, Korean and Japanese are not technically alphabets, rather syllabaries.

Regardless, there have been no organic developments out of Africa.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Correct, written language began in the fertile crescent. It makes sense that cuneiform spread outward from Sumer into other regions, and that changes were made en route and also upon arrival to destination. These changes happened somewhat organically over dozens or hundreds of years.

Egyptian heiroglyphics though depicting a written language, was not an alphabet per se, it was a "logography". East Asian languages including modern (an ancient) Chinese, Korean and Japanese are not technically alphabets, rather syllabaries.

Regardless, there have been no organic developments out of Africa.
The Meroetic script, developed in the 700-300 BC period.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM

687 posts, read 694,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Meroetic script, developed in the 700-300 BC period.
And yet was derived from Hieratic, the cursive form of Egyptian which allowed scribes to write quickly without having to rely on hieroglyphics.

You will find no intrinsically native African writing systems (other than Egyptian) which are not derived from either Egyptian, or more commonly from Arabic, which is ultimately derived from Phoenician which itself has earlier parents.

Also in a completely separate topic: Where is the African Coliseum? The Parthenon? The Colossus at Rhodes? Even a Stonehenge? Where are the thousands of Castles or towns with parallel and perpendicular streets?

Where are even the ruins or remnants of such things? Did the colonists steal the ruins from under the ground too?

We have evidence of planned cities of 40,000 inhabitants going back 8,000 years (6,000 B.C.) at Harappa and Ur. Africa doesn't even have such designs today, in fact most roads are still mud and travel is slow, arduous and dangerous...and that's without the perils of armed gangs or rebel groups or even just corrupt police/officials at checkpoints.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 PM

664 posts, read 696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with you 100%, I am just saying though, people have to want to learn and take a active roll in their education, that is all I am saying.
I agree also. I'm thankful that God is showing me the truth. My eyes are opened, and I'm ready to help my people. I hope I have kids. I will teach them the truth. I want to visit Africa soon. I pray it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or