U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 AM

6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Let me get this straight, you think someone who probably knows about as much on the history of Africa as you do (which apparently isn't much), makes a silly video and it refutes a PROFESSOR whose articles are PEER reviewed? Do you understand what the term "peer reviewed" means?
An interesting article related to peer reviews.

http://www.ferris.edu/ISAR/Pretell-Afrocentrism.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Beautiful post. But question: Are Ethiopians black? What's your view on that?
Yeah, sort of, but so are Australian Aborigines and South Indians. So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Yes, most Ethiopians are linguistically, and culturally different from Bantus. But even if they do have Asiatic origin at some point (of course we all have African origin at some point too), they've been cut off from their Asian influences for a very long time. On the other hand, they live next to Bantu cultures and as isolated as they may be, at this point it's likely that they have far more interaction with their neighbors then with any distant Asian relations. Plus, the fact remains that they do live in a continent called Africa and in a region of Africa that most geographers call "sub-Saharan".
Historically inaccurate. As early as the 7th century BCE, Ethiopian coastal areas were colonized by spice traders from Asia. From Eritrea, "I can see Asia from my house!", and there was never a lapse in commerce and communications between the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, separated by 20 km of water. However, the South Sudan (which separated Ethiopia from Congo) is,and has always been, one of the most difficult geographies in Africa to wander back and forth across. To this day, there is no reliable road.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-07-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Then you should agree that racial terms like "Black African and other racial colors" don't hold much weight in this when it comes to ancient African civilizations and culture. In reality do we even have to ask if Ethiopians are Black or not? It just seems completely ridiculous to me.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,479,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
An interesting article related to peer reviews.

http://www.ferris.edu/ISAR/Pretell-Afrocentrism.pdf
How is the writing of a supposed lawyer "an interesting article related to peer reviews"? She babbles for the entire time about supposed afrocentrism. She is appealing to the read from the basis of emotions, not facts. Not once does she quote Dr. Winters and show that he is wrong in anything. So I am not sure what any of this has to do with the price of rice in China.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,368,271 times
Quote:

Historically inaccurate. As early as the 7th century BCE, Ethiopian coastal areas were colonized by spice traders from Asia. From Eritrea, "I can see Asia from my house!", and there was never a lapse in commerce and communications between the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, separated by 20 km of water. However, the South Sudan (which separated Ethiopia from Congo) is,and has always been, one of the most difficult geographies in Africa to wander back and forth across. To this day, there is no reliable road.
I'm not saying that there was a lack of contact with Asia. Rather I would argue that the Ethiopian heartland has developed a unique culture due to both its longevity and its relative isolation. Since their society has been in its present location in Africa for over 2000 years, I would call it an African culture and not an offshoot of Asiatic culture.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM

6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
How is the writing of a supposed lawyer "an interesting article related to peer reviews"? She babbles for the entire time about supposed afrocentrism. She is appealing to the read from the basis of emotions, not facts. Not once does she quote Dr. Winters and show that he is wrong in anything. So I am not sure what any of this has to do with the price of rice in China.
If all this stuff that Clyde Winters is putting out is true and has been examined and approved by credible archeologist and historians then Clyde Winters is single handedly revolutionizing history. He claims that Black Africans founded the chinese civilization and that the Olmecs were mande speaking Africans. Never mind the fact that the Olmec heads can be matched to the faces of most Mexican Indians or that no mande artifacts have been found in Mexico.

This Mayan boy is a splitting image of an Olmec stone head.

Face of a True Descendant of the Olmec - YouTube

Last edited by Motion; 09-07-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM

574 posts, read 1,670,424 times
Quote:

LOL, Dude how is a person sort of black? I swear you are too entertaining. I guess Barack Obama is sort of Black also, haha

Ok, this is a serious question (im not trolling or anything): is Barack Obama sort of white, or sort of black? In your opinion?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Except that European colonialism in Africa was a last minute scramble for the remainder of the world that was only really complete at the end of the 19th century. Between 1880 and 1895 Europe went from controlling very little of Africa to controlling almost all of it. Then, 30 years later, colonialism started it's death march. So the Europeans were there just long enough to create a bunch of illogical (future) nation states.
Yeah true dat. But I would say Europeans are still on the continent, but their influence is more than troops on the ground; it is more indirect now. Its what Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana called 'neocolonialism.'

Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 PM

To Jturr88 and EdwardA, what is your opinion on Arabs being descended from Black Africans? And when I say descended from Black Africans I mean recently descended from Black Africans (last 4000 years); cause if you go back far enough, everybody on earth is descended from Black Africans.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 15,479,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If all this stuff that Clyde Winters is putting out is true and has been examined and approved by credible archeologist and historians then Clyde Winters is single handedly revolutionizing history. He claims that Black Africans founded the chinese civilization and that the Olmecs were mande speaking Africans. Never mind the fact that the Olmec heads can be matched to the faces of most Mexican Indians or that no mande artifacts have been found in Mexico.

This Mayan boy is a splitting image of an Olmec stone head.

Face of a True Descendant of the Olmec - YouTube
I don't have the time right now. However, the first people in South America seem to have been "negro" of some sort, not the current day "mongloid" people that we see today. Secondly Clyde Winters is not the first people to bring up that the Olmecs may have been African, it was a German researcher. You can watch this video, you will see him speak in his own words, about what he felt about the Olmecs. From there you will have to do your own research into this German researchers findings.

'Olmecs' They Came Before Columbus - Dr ivan Van Sertima, Part 2 - YouTube

Also, this is a short clip but listen to what they say about the oldest skull found in South America

1st ANCIENT AMERICANS Were BLACK! - White Archaeologists Discover - YouTube

I am not saying the Olmecs were African, I don't know and I don't care. But my point in showing this is, you don't know enough about history, researchers or their findings to have a intelligent opinion or conversation and I assure you, it will take more than a half day of google searches, for you to intelligently discuss the topic, because it is very very intricate. You need to know archeological evidence, linguistic evidence, cultural evidence etc etc. That takes years my friend. Thats why there are people with Ph Ds in the subject.

As for taking a statue and pointing to someone today as having the same features, thats not very scientific in approach and doesn't prove much. There are African's with many of these same features, so it is going to take more than that. Unless you have been to Africa, seen all its people and understand physiology, you comparing features like that doesn't mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or