Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 AM

280 posts, read 685,870 times

Advertisements

I just read an article on the UN's websites about plans to build solar power stations in many areas across the continent. The article stated that such plans could succeed because of the abundant sun in Africa.

The article made me wonder if there is more sun in Africa, on average, than other continents? In other words, does it get the most sun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
I think Australia probably gets the most sun as far as the percentage of a continent. Africa would likely have the largest sunny area with the Sahara.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Yes,.

Trapping the Sun's energy - Earth's energy resources - Earth & beyond - Sun|trek

Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
If it didn't, there wouldn't be any dark skin people on the continent.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Luckily, there are very few trees left in Africa to shade the power stations.

http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0722-c...ainforest.html

Old 12-11-2015, 01:10 PM

270 posts, read 481,550 times
I reasonably think that Africa is globally a very sunny continent, having extended portions of its land mass within the subtropical and tropical belts where subsidence prevails.

According to the 13 years of average cloud cover done in a full world map by NASA, Africa is the sunniest continent on the planet, along with Australia.

This is an interesting note to show that clear skies are common throughout Africa, even beyond the Sahara, which stands up as the most cloud-free large region on Earth.
The only cloudy parts of the continent are definitely the lush equatorial areas covered by rainforests including countries such as Congo, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, for example, where the great cloudiness considerably reduces the annual sunshine duration.

So yes, not only Africa receives many more hours of bright sunshine than any large continent in the world, but the intensity of solar radiation is also very high due to the low latitude.
Both factors combined make Africa a very suitable place to install solar power stations, virtually anywhere.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 12-11-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM

906 posts, read 712,016 times
How do you quantify light?

The sun in Africa is stronger, it hits Earth at the equator more directly...so, I'm not sure what you mean by more sun, it is more like "more immediate sun".

Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
IF we measure it by temperature, most parts of Sub-Saharan Africa receive little to no snow and temperature never drops below 70's or high 60's. Unlike hot cities like Houston, Dallas and Phoenix although temps can get ridiculously high, they can also get ridiculously cold. This of course may have nothing to do with the amount of sunlight but Africa is kind of a triple whammy, with the Equator then a Northern Desert, then a much smaller Southern Desert(s). Also multiple regions similar to the Sahel.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:39 AM

270 posts, read 481,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
How do you quantify light?

The sun in Africa is stronger, it hits Earth at the equator more directly...so, I'm not sure what you mean by more sun, it is more like "more immediate sun".
More sun means a higher number of sunshine hours/a higher sunshine duration.

Is Africa sunnier than other continents? Are skies clearer in Africa compared to other continents?
Yes, and yes. Just read the article : News - NASA map shows thirteen years of cloud cover - The Weather Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
IF we measure it by temperature, most parts of Sub-Saharan Africa receive little to no snow and temperature never drops below 70's or high 60's. Unlike hot cities like Houston, Dallas and Phoenix although temps can get ridiculously high, they can also get ridiculously cold.
Sub-Saharan Africa absolutely never gets any snow, except at extremely high elevations, and even then... As well, it's never cold over there. It can get way colder in Phoenix, Arizona than Accra, Ghana, for instance. The only "cold" you can feel in Africa is in the Mediterranean climates (winter), the extratropical desert climates (winter nights) and probably in the Ethiopian Highlands.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 12-12-2015 at 01:50 AM..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Thanks for expanding on my post, for example the first time I saw snow was when I lived in The Netherlands. Before that the coldest temps I felt in Nigeria was 65 degrees maybe and that was when cold rain(Every time it rains it is comparable to a small tropical storm, I didn't know what a drizzle was until I left Nigeria) came down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa