U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 9,080 times

Advertisements

Workers? You guys have employable skills? Hum, that is news to me...
A poll was taken last week in the U.K., asking the citizens under who's rule they would choose, and a whopping majority said Roman. Hilarious! When asked why, the response was sporting events were free (never mind that you might be thrown to the tigers) and you didn't pay taxes. Now my ancient history is a little rusty, but I am confident that there are some here who will settle this...but wasn't the rule of this empire based upon the conquering others (slavery)? Also, weren't these peasants just workers for the empire-they did not own the land they worked?
Funny how this relates to the previous post...so let me try and wrap my logical brain around this illogical statement-99% work for the 1% who don't work? Please explain what you mean by work? Do you mean paid work, physical work? I don't get it...47% of Americans don't work now! One in 4 Americans are collecting SSD, which will be insolvent in 2016, and the top 3 percent of Americans PAY 90% of the TAX REVENUE for YOU!
SO confused....here in reality....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,762,625 times
Let's keep this on the topic and not talk of Chicago or the 47 percent on this thread. There are other forums for that.

I'm very sad people were killed and injured by these terrorists, who wouldn't be? I also feel intense outrage at the loss of life and injury and the permanent displacement of people in Somalia. The mall attack shows just how vulnerable Kenya is to this type of violence. Attack any big mall in the world and it will be headline news.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM

158 posts, read 227,611 times
RIP to the victims in Kenya.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
RIP to the victims in Kenya.
No they should not rest in peace...The spirit of innocence will have justice...it just takes some time...Those who are liars and supposedly kill in the name of God - will eventually suffer cosmic retribution....You can not insult heaven itself and not expect to pay for the sin...it just takes time.....and in time they will pay...

Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No they should not rest in peace...The spirit of innocence will have justice...it just takes some time...Those who are liars and supposedly kill in the name of God - will eventually suffer cosmic retribution....You can not insult heaven itself and not expect to pay for the sin...it just takes time.....and in time they will pay...
Be careful whom you call lairs acting in the name of God. You are contradicting yourself. The sin will be paid for, whether the victims rest in peace or not, so they might just as well rest in peace and leave heaven to take care of itself....it just, as you say, takes time.

By an odd coincidence, last night before turning off the light, here are the last words I read, from David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas", which are worth reflecting upon:

"Peace, though beloved by the Lord, is a cardinal virtue only if your neighbors share your conscience."

Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Westgate mall siege: hostage crisis over, say Kenyan officials | World news | theguardian.com

Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 AM

45 posts, read 59,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
This story is only relevant because some upper class people got shot and killed. That is all.

Low class people in Somalia, Nigeria, Yemen, Iraq, and Pakistan get shot and killed routinely due to terrorism by Islamic extremists. This is going to be big news only because some people of status got killed.
Have you been to anyone of those countries? I take it you're an expert now speaking from the comfort of your seat in the USA.
I can understand if criticism came from Europe or Australia but from an American? last week 12 people were shot dead in D.C., a few days later 11 people were shot in Chicago...please do not attempt to lecture the rest of the world.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM

It has nothing to do with Kenya. Nor with Somalia.

The nature of people being what it is, there will always be, from time to time and place to place, outrageous events carried out by fringe outlying people whom we do not understand or sympathize with. They happen in Norway, Tasmania, Juaraz, Rwanda, Poland, Vietnam, Jonestown, Newtown, anywhere.

It is, theoretically, possible to place the entire population of the world under such tight police control and minute-to-minute surveillance and regimentation of personal movement that this can never happen. But you do not want to live in that world. This one is better, even with it's Nairobis.

In fact, what surprises me is how not how many such perpetrators there are, but how few. I would venture that every one of you who will read this are among the wealthiest and most privileged ten percent of the word's people, unwilling to give up any of your well-being to share with others. Others who are becoming increasingly angry, with increasing technical access to the means to inflict mayhem. How do you fit into the picture?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 AM

I fact, in my readings just last night, I ran across a highly appropriate quotation that I think put it into a very good perspective:

"There is no Why -- this is our nature. Who and What run deeper than Why." -- David Mitchell, "Cloud Atlas".

Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM

471 posts, read 764,991 times
Difficult to understand supposed religion-based groups in Kenya and other similar places that feel their cause will be enhanced and admired when they go on killing sprees based on what religion their random victims happen to be or not be.

Too bad people in Kenya can't live their lives without worrying about yet more fanatics killing them "in the name of God"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa