U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:24 AM

9,523 posts, read 9,407,481 times

Advertisements

Dozens of casualties in attack on Nairobi shopping mall - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:07 AM

45 posts, read 76,542 times
That's really sad to hear! I hope no more innocent people get hurt. I hate these senseless acts of violence.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM

4,247 posts, read 10,553,435 times
Now there's a religion still living in the stone age.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
So, the difference between Chicago and Nairobi, is Kenyans are better shots?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 PM

3,217 posts, read 4,712,544 times
This has nothing to do with Chicago and its gang fights. It has everything to do with Muslim terrorists (which we've suffered from repeatedly in the US). This is akin to you being in your local shopping mall (or Walmart ) and having a bunch of Somali terrorists bust in and start shooting up the place - purposely hunting down non-Muslims to kill. I'd imagine you'd need a change of underwear... if you survived.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 AM

6,517 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Kenya sent troops into the mess that is Somalia in response to muslim attacks on its people correct??? It sounds totally justified unless Im missing something. So these lawless Somalis murdered a bunch of innocent people in a shopping mall in Nairobi in retribution. I hope the Kenyans put the boot down on those Somalis, I think the whole world should be tired of the nonsense in Somalia. The world community tried to feed them in the 1990s, but they were met with violence. The US sent troops to help feed them, but faced open combat against them, international shipping has faced the piracy of this lawless place for years and now they have acted violently toward others again. Im sure Kenya will deal with this appropriately, its just too bad the loss of life over there.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM

574 posts, read 1,670,585 times
This story is only relevant because some upper class people got shot and killed. That is all.

Low class people in Somalia, Nigeria, Yemen, Iraq, and Pakistan get shot and killed routinely due to terrorism by Islamic extremists. This is going to be big news only because some people of status got killed.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
This has nothing to do with Chicago and its gang fights. It has everything to do with Muslim terrorists (which we've suffered from repeatedly in the US). This is akin to you being in your local shopping mall (or Walmart ) and having a bunch of Somali terrorists bust in and start shooting up the place - purposely hunting down non-Muslims to kill. I'd imagine you'd need a change of underwear... if you survived.
And Chicago gangs are, somehow, morally superior to Muslim terrorists?

In the US we have suffered repeatedly from Muslim terrorists? Give me some numbers. In your living memory, how many Americans have been killed here by Muslims. Compared to how many Muslims killed over there by Americans, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Gulf War.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-22-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM

13,650 posts, read 8,569,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
This story is only relevant because some upper class people got shot and killed. That is all.

Low class people in Somalia, Nigeria, Yemen, Iraq, and Pakistan get shot and killed routinely due to terrorism by Islamic extremists. This is going to be big news only because some people of status got killed.
Can't argue much, Diggs. But the fact that lower class non-attractive people matter less than higher class attractive people is not news. That's the way it is everywhere.
I (somewhat sardonically, I admit) note regularly that the missing pretty white girl of the week is just that - pretty and white.

And terrorists know that. They know full well that they could virtually wipe out a slum area and not be reported or pursued.
But isn't that the point? If they can't make headlines and generate fear, then they would be powerless.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM

574 posts, read 1,670,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Can't argue much, Diggs. But the fact that lower class non-attractive people matter less than higher class attractive people is not news. That's the way it is everywhere.
I (somewhat sardonically, I admit) note regularly that the missing pretty white girl of the week is just that - pretty and white.

And terrorists know that. They know full well that they could virtually wipe out a slum area and not be reported or pursued.
But isn't that the point? If they can't make headlines and generate fear, then they would be powerless.
Yes, that is the point, generating fear and making headlines.

One poster called the violence 'senseless'. But this violence makes a lot of sense. If you want to really scare the people of a country, you attack the people who think they have a vested interests in that country, i.e. the upper classes.

The 99% (as opposed to the 1%), we all get exploited by the system; we are all just workers who support the guys at the top. But they, the 1%, create these different classes in order to make some people feel that they have a vested interest in this society.

The upper classes, they are considered in society the special classes. The upper classes are the ones who really keep this society rolling, who fight to keep the system the way it is so they can stay in their upper class position. The lower classes are usually poor and powerless (or think they are poor and powerless) to really matter.

Therefore if you are a terrorist, and you really want to make a change, you attack the upper classes and destroy the sense of security that they have in the society that they live in. You disrupt them, you can change the society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa