U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times

Advertisements

I could not sleep recently and was watching PBS when a program came on about the disease called River Blindness and what had been done and was being done to combat this horrible, debilitating scourge in Central Africa, as well as, some parts of South and Central America and, sparingly, in Mexico. Although it was hard to see people infected with these parasites, I cried when I saw how effective the medicine, Ivermectin, was in returning people to normal lives. It is truly an amazing and uplifting story. I couldn't find a link to the whole story but, it is a wonderful program to see if anyone gets the chance to do so.

It might not hold a lot of interest for some people but I found it fascinating. I copied a few of the articles in hopes of providing a brief overview of the story. It helps to somewhat restore my faith in human nature.

The story went into some detail about the fight Uganda has made against River Blindness. It was ambitious to say the least but seems to be having results. Their goal was to eradicate the disease completely, although I can't quite seem how that can happen unless surrounding countries have the same goal.

In 1987, pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co., Inc. made the unprecedented announcement
that it would donate Mectizan® (Ivermectin) to “all who needed it for as long as needed”.

Featured Stories

With river blindness, 'you never sleep' - CNN.com

An amazing tale of three men and a miracle drug changing lives of millions | SaportaReport

Uganda Interrupts the Transmission of River Blindness in Three More Areas

Rx for Survival . Global Health Champions . Uche Amazigo, PhD | PBS

http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/...sturchio_e.doc

Featured Stories

Even Pharma's Good Deeds Are Criticized - Forbes

this last link was not an integral part of the topic but I found it interesting and it did mention Merck and their decades long battle against the disease.

There are doctors in SA who are very expert in excising the nodules and it is a common practice in that part of the world. But, the nodules are sometimes deep under the skin and, therefore, all can't be surgically removed, leaving the person still infected with the adult worms.

I hope the goal of eradication is achieve and I'm sorry if this is a subject that makes people squeamish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
The disease is already resistant to Ivermectin, and the number of cases doubled from 2000 to 2005.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
I have been away from the computer.

I haven't been able to find any articles about River Blindness resistant to Ivermectin. I am so interested in this, I would appreciate it if you could post some links. Apparantly, it has been found very recently that ivermectin is a potent drug for other illnesses, either alone, or in conjunction with other drugs. I find that very encouraging. From everything I read, ivermection is still being given twice a year to patients.

I found it an amazing story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa