U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Timbuktu (West Africa)

Such a repository of great cultural information about West Africa. It holds thousands of rare and historical manuscripts that destroy the myth of an illiterate past. These texts prove there is a great literary heritage outside of European values say that got much development in in 'French' Africa.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM

219 posts, read 721,282 times
Default The Ashanti people

The Ashanti Palace at Kumasi

Adai Festival

(After war)

[IMG]http://the*****ninnypapers.com/storage/Ashanti-Woman.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1300928870715[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Can someone just merge this foolishness when the other established thread?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:33 PM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Such a repository of great cultural information about West Africa. It holds thousands of rare and historical manuscripts that destroy the myth of an illiterate past. These texts prove there is a great literary heritage outside of European values say that got much development in in 'French' Africa.
Arab literature.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,136 times
Well I'd say West Africa did have a literary heritage outside of Arabic lit too. Some of those manuscripts are in West African languages like Tamshek, Songhay and Fulani. The problem at this point is that the manuscripts need to be studied more thoroughly to examine how West African culture worked with the Islamic influences.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 76,516 times
There's nothing wrong with West Africans or other Africans using Arabic or becoming Muslims. They've been doing so for hundreds of years, since Muhammad and his followers spread Islam in the 7th century. It's their culture.

Muhammad's followers took shelter in Axum (what is now Ethiopia) in 613 CE when they ran into trouble spreading Islam in Mecca. The Axumite king welcomed them and gave them refuge. The African empire of Kanem adopted Islam in the eleventh century. The Great Mosque of Djenne (in the Empire of Mali) was built during the reign of Mansa Musa, a Muslim ruler in the 12th century.

Islam has become as much of some African cultures as it has for other peoples like the Persians, Turks, Indians/Pakistanis (non-Arabs who adopted Islam) etc... How long must a society practice a religion or use a form of writing for it to be authentically called their own? Is 500 years not long enough for Africans to have the right to have an Islamic culture? 800 years? A millennia? jeez....

No one criticizes Asians for practicing Buddhism even though it was a religion created by Indians. And Europeans are for the most part Christians, giving up their original "pagan" religion to follow a new one that began in the Middle East, by a Middle Eastern people. And many of the so-called "Arabs" of Arabia and the Middle East were originally different ethnic groups who only became "Arab" when they adopted Islam.

So why is it that Africans are criticized for adopting aspects of Islamic cultures? Why the contradictions only for Africans?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,285,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanturner View Post
There's nothing wrong with West Africans or other Africans using Arabic or becoming Muslims. They've been doing so for hundreds of years, since Muhammad and his followers spread Islam in the 7th century. It's their culture.

Muhammad's followers took shelter in Axum (what is now Ethiopia) when they ran into trouble spreading Islam in Mecca. The Axumite king welcomed them and gave them refuge. The African empire of Kanem adopted Islam in the eleventh century. The Great Mosque of Djenne (in the Empire of Mali) was built during the reign of Mansa Musa, a Muslim ruler in the 12th century.

Islam has become as much of some African cultures as it has for other peoples like the Persians, Turks, Indians/Pakistanis (non-Arabs who adopted Islam) etc... How long must a society practice a religion or use a form of writing for it to be authentically called their own? Is 500 years not long enough for Africans to have the right to have an Islamic culture? 800 years? A millennia? jeez....

No one criticizes Asians for practicing Buddhism even though it was a religion created by Indians. And Europeans are for the most part Christians, following a religion that began in the Middle East. And many of the so-called "Arabs" of Arabia and the Middle East were originally different ethnic groups who only became "Arab" when they adopted Islam.

So why is it that Africans are criticized for adopting aspects of Islamic cultures? Why the contradictions only for Africans?
Thank you for writing this. I didn't have the patience to do it. If you read these threads enough you will understand that some posters here just can't help themselves.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM

45 posts, read 76,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Thank you for writing this. I didn't have the patience to do it. If you read these threads enough you will understand that some posters here just can't help themselves.
You're welcome. I know EdwardA and others are trolls, but I don't want uninformed people who view this thread to mistakenly fall for their lies.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM

15 posts, read 19,906 times
Well, I'm white, and knew some of this, but I for one want to thank you for this! I think this information is awesome and thoroughly enjoy it.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,328,149 times
I am interested in architecture, so I especially liked looking at the pictures of walls, structures, and buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa