Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM

219 posts, read 922,061 times

Advertisements

The empire of ancient Ghana created by the Mende (Soninke) dating back to around 4,000 BC and recent research confirms that they had a written language predating not only Egypt but that of Sumeria (the Middle East):

Ancient Ghana by the way (There was no civilization Europe (especially Western Europe) during this far back in history:

Quote:
By contrast the area around Dar Tichitt in southern Mauritania has been the subject of much archaeological attention, revealing successive layers of settlement near what still were small lakes as late as 1200 BCE. At this time people there built circular compounds, 60-100 feet in diameter, near the beaches of the lakes. (‘Compound’ is the name given to a housing type, still common today, in which several members of related families share space within a wall.) These compounds were arranged into large villages located about 12 miles from each other. Inhabitants fished, herded cattle and planted some millet, which they stored in pottery vessels. This was the last era of reasonable moisture in this part of the Sahara. By 1000 BCE the villages, still made up of compounds, had been relocated to hilltop positions, and were walled. Cattle were still herded, more millet was grown, but there were no more lakes for fishing. From 700-300 BCE the villages decreased in size and farming was reduced at the expense of pastoralism.

Architecturally, the villages of Dar Tichitt resemble those of the modern northern Mande (Soninke), who live in the savanna 300-400 miles to the south. These ancient villagers were not only farmers, but were engaged in trade connected with the salt and copper mines which developed to the north. Horse drawn vehicles passed through the Tichitt valley, bringing trading opportunities, ideas, and opening up the inhabitants to raids from their more nomadic northern neighbors (1). Development of the social and political organization necessary to handle commerce and defense must have been a factor in the subsequent development of Ghana, the first great Sudanic empire, in this part of West Africa.

Older than any written language in Europe let alone Western Europe.

There is a ridiculous lie that white supremacist like to spread, which is that black Africans never even created the wheel. Below are ancient Saharan rock paintings (over 7,000 years old) showing horse drawn chariots:

The recently discovered Erdedo Walls of Nigeria is the largest recorded Earth work in history and used one million cubic meters more rock and earth then what was used in the construction of the Pyramids of Giza. It has since 1995 been considered a World Heritage site:

BBC

The wall of Benin was also another West African structure was the largest man made structure on Earth, which even surpassed the famed Great Wall of China. Europeans came and destroyed with their Chinese gun powder and Middle Eastern lent technology (guns and cannons):

Hmmmmmm

Below is another West African World Heritage site the Kano civilization of Nigeria, which was founded and maintained by the Hausa people:

Info

Cont.

Last edited by The Unbreakable; 10-07-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
thanks for posting. I was having trouble sleeping before.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM

World Heritage site Loropeni Ruins of Burkina Fasso West Africa

Quote:
The 11,130m2 property, the first to be inscribed in the country, with its imposing stone walls is the best preserved of ten fortresses in the Lobi area and is part of a larger group of 100 stone enclosures that bear testimony to the power of the trans-Saharan gold trade. Situated near the borders of Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Togo, the ruins have recently been shown to be at least 1,000 years old. The settlement was occupied by the Lohron or Koulango peoples, who controlled the extraction and transformation of gold in the region when it reached its apogee from the 14th to the 17th century. Much mystery surrounds this site large parts of which have yet to be excavated. The settlement seems to have been abandoned during some periods during its long history. The property which was finally deserted in the early 19th century is expected to yield much more information....
UNESCO

City of Djado, Niger. Abandoned ruins, dating back some 800-1,000 years ago.

[quote]The Kawar is an area of ​​cliffs topped by ancient dry stone fortifications aligned north-south, forming the junction between the vast sandy Ténéré area to the west and the Great Erg Bilma east. This region has been inhabited since Neolithic times, as there are rock paintings and engravings dating to this period. She is currently a series of small oases which are among the most isolated of the Sahara. They survive in a traditional way by maintaining a caravan business. The site supports salt deposits, the principal object of trade. Large freshwater and brackish environments determine natural biological (fauna and flora) outstanding in the Sahara. It is also one of the regions that Addax is likely to use during his nomadic. The scenic beauty of this region is universally known.

Kawar saw the penetration of the 666 Muslim by Ibn Nafi Uqba who took successively all the forts before seizing the capital Khawar or Qasabat Kahawar "the walled city or the citadel of Kawar. Satements of Authenticity and / or Integrity.The oases of Kawar producing salt and soda are the source of the salt caravan: Ayri or tafordé (road salt) or even tarlam (the string of camels). This ecosystem has been a productive center since ancient times when various populations, Kanuri, Berber, Toubou lived symbiotically in the isolation of the Sahara. This character is reflected perrinité since ancient times and continues to this day with very little change. Comparison with Other similar properties This site of the Salt Road can be compared to the oasis of Dakhla, Farafra and Siwa in Egypt that have persisted since the Egypt Road salt Theghaza Taoudeni-old in Mali and to this day.

Niger (Africa)
Date of Submission: 26/05/2006
Category: Cultural
Submitted by: Ministry of Culture, Arts and Communication - Dir. Cultural Heritage and Museums
State, Province or Region:
Region: Arlit
Department: Agadez
Coordinates: N17 12-20 E8 30 6-10 57
Ref.: 5044[
/quote]Ethiopia:

Ethiopian Underground Church:

Kingdom of Kongo:

King Alvaro of Kongo receiving Dutch Ambassadors

Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Southern African civilizations:

The Great Zimbabwe:

The Kami ruins (Zimbabwe)

Adam's Calender is considered to be the oldest manmade structure on Earth:

Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Timbuktu (West Africa)

Ancient Mali ruler Mansa Musa (RICHEST MAN IN WORLD HISTORY)

Ancient Sudan:

Cont.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Fantastic. Great post.

I blame a lot of the ignorance not only on the racism of non-blacks, but on the people of African descent themselves, especially in America, whom seem to think that all being black means is being a victim of oppression and that we as African people have no history before slavery. It's that whole "victim identity" thing that so many blacks hold onto that ends up being "well, we were always slaves, always will be, and that's alls we be. Ise gots no reason ta' be learnin' how ta' talk like a white boy cause ise keeping it real and keepin' it real is alls we black folks ever done did."

If Africans, especially in America, ever understood that their ancestors built empires in the past than maybe, just maybe, that would inspire them to BUILD A RESUME.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Sudani Script came into existence between 6-800 A.D. and to this day is only legible to Sudanese and West Africans. This also the same script used in Timbuktu.

Sikasso (Mali):

(couldn't find a bigger pic)

Kumasi, Ghana (Ashanti people)

(Painting of Ashanti architecture painted by Thomas Bowdich in the 1800's)

(British soldier enjoying the Ashanti architecture)

Quote:
I blame a lot of the ignorance not only on the racism of non-blacks, but on the people of African descent themselves, especially in America, whom seem to think that all being black means is being a victim of oppression and that we as African people have no history before slavery. It's that whole "victim identity" thing that so many blacks hold onto that ends up being "well, we were always slaves, always will be, and that's alls we be. Ise gots no reason ta' be learnin' how ta' talk like a white boy cause ise keeping it real and keepin' it real is alls we black folks ever done did."

If Africans, especially in America, ever understood that their ancestors built empires in the past than maybe, just maybe, that would inspire them to BUILD A RESUME.

Nok culture (considered the oldest in Nigeria)

Quote:
The Nok culture of northern Nigeria, a civilization that existed from approximately 500 B.C. to about 500 A.D., is principally known for its terracotta figures. Relatively little is known about the purpose of these figures or the civilization that created such extraordinary sculptural representations of its people. A few of the remarkable characteristics that distinguish Nok pieces from terracottas of later cultures in Nigeria include the triangular, pierced eyes; the elaborate coiffure and beard; and the placement of the ears. This work depicts a person of high status wearing elaborate beaded jewelry, and with a crooked baton on his right arm and a hinged flail on the left. These are symbols of authority also found in ancient Egyptian depictions of the Pharaohs and the god Osiris. The Nok culture existed during the late Pharonic period and intra-African trading could have spread Egyptian influences into many other parts of Africa.
Minneapolis Institute of Art

This is just more support for the claims of many many West African tribes that they came from ancient Egypt (times of turbulence or exile are the most common regions cited in African Oral traditions for migration from the Nile Valley to other regions of Africa). Now I point out the reference to ancient Egypt because it has been my experience that many white people claim to be interested in history, will absolutely defecate all over themselves when the Egyptian lineages in many West Africans (the source for African Americans) is pointed out. "The Egyptians have absolutely nothing to do with Sub Saharan Africans" is a knee jerk sentiment by many Eurocentrics who are just jealous because the civilization that they marvel at the most (and many would argue based their contemporary civilizations around) was in fact of the same creed of the people whom they hold the most contempt towards. But recent DNA evidence has SHATTERED that racist bull**** (see above). I won't say too much but people with that mindset are going to line up and jump off the Grand Canyon once an upcoming study is finally published (this year or sometimes next year). (Afrocentric makes an evil grin and rubs cat in lap).

Cont.

Last edited by The Unbreakable; 10-07-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Interesting post, but you are trying to educate the same people who don't want to know their own history in this country neverless learning anything outside of their own city. Hell at least 80% of Americans could not tell you were Iraq was before the war and proably only 40% can point it out on a map now.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Interesting post, but you are trying to educate the same people who don't want to know their own history in this country neverless learning anything outside of their own city. Hell at least 80% of Americans could not tell you were Iraq was before the war and proably only 40% can point it out on a map now.
I mean it all depends on where you're coming from man. The history that many African Americans are use to being told is that which revolves around the glory of people like this George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and the inglorious reality that was chattel slavery for the recent African ancestors. Nobody wants to keep reliving that ****! In my 12 years at public school (but not limited to) the schools NEVER uttered a thing about African history outside of Egypt (not even the third most mentioned place in the Bible..Sudan). That is the perception of "history" is why many blacks are not that interested in "history". Conversely when I walked in my barbershop and Hidden Colors 1 or 2 is playing, the entire shop is silent (which is normally loud) with eyes fixated to the television. Do you know how many "thank you"'s I've gotten from this thread, from people who just DID NOT KNOW the facts about Egypt or the prestige of the numerous civilizations creators by their more recent African ancestors. Our history is HIDDEN and the more it's put forth the greater the interest is in it. You have to remember that Africa's continuous habitation is unmatched by any other continent, but for some reason it is the least excavated continent with over 90% of it having yet to be excavated.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbreakable View Post
I mean it all depends on where you're coming from man. The history that many African Americans are use to being told is that which revolves around the glory of people like this George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and the inglorious reality that was chattel slavery for the recent African ancestors. Nobody wants to keep reliving that ****! In my 12 years at public school (but not limited to) the schools NEVER uttered a thing about African history outside of Egypt (not even the third most mentioned place in the Bible..Sudan). That is the perception of "history" is why many blacks are not that interested in "history". Conversely when I walked in my barbershop and Hidden Colors 1 or 2 is playing, the entire shop is silent (which is normally loud) with eyes fixated to the television. Do you know how many "thank you"'s I've gotten from this thread, from people who just DID NOT KNOW the facts about Egypt or the prestige of the numerous civilizations creators by their more recent African ancestors. Our history is HIDDEN and the more it's put forth the greater the interest is in it. You have to remember that Africa's continuous habitation is unmatched by any other continent, but for some reason it is the least excavated continent with over 90% of it having yet to be excavated.
Yes, but alas, the sad truth is so many black Americans don't want to know about their past or care about their future.
When I was in school I had a teacher from Ghana who had an assembly on black history month during which he talked about the Ashanti Empire, Mali, and a little about the Zulus...and of course, the kids with the baggy pants sat their yapping amongst themselves about rap videos, girl's behinds etc.

I remember one of my ghetto cousins turned the television to rap videos and claimed I was "acting like a white boy" because I was watching one of my favorite miniserie's...yes, you guessed it, it was this:

Intro Shaka Zulu - YouTube

Schools can't teach pride, and unfortunately too many black Americans today, especially the young ones, have no pride in anything but being modern day uncle Toms.

As the Arrested Development song says: that's the story now, of a black man, acting like a N**** getting stomped by an African.

Arrested Development - "Everyday People" Live (1993) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.