Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM

46 posts, read 142,718 times

Advertisements

Uganda hosts meeting of experts to fast-track political federation of East Africa - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

It looks like that those 5 countries (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda) will soon be united into one political federation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
This smells very strongly to me of the plutocracy of those countries wanting to maximize their opportunities for profit, without regard for the interest of the citizenry, who speak at least three different languages as the official languages of their current countries (English, French, Swahili), and where the problems of minority populations is already fractious enough without everyone becoming a smaller minority in a more authoritarian entiy.

The report says nothing at all about what expertise the "experts" possess, except that they are all high-ranking (and handsomely bribed) government officials interested in "potentially providing a rich market for goods and services which in turn could boost trade and development in the region." To the benefit of the experts themselves and their wealthy benefactors, as the planet continues is free-fall into global oligarchy.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This smells very strongly to me of the plutocracy of those countries wanting to maximize their opportunities for profit, without regard for the interest of the citizenry, who speak at least three different languages as the official languages of their current countries (English, French, Swahili), and where the problems of minority populations is already fractious enough without everyone becoming a smaller minority in a more authoritarian entiy.

The report says nothing at all about what expertise the "experts" possess, except that they are all high-ranking (and handsomely bribed) government officials interested in "potentially providing a rich market for goods and services which in turn could boost trade and development in the region." To the benefit of the experts themselves and their wealthy benefactors, as the planet continues is free-fall into global oligarchy.
Well the U.S. was successful by annexing smaller republics back in the 18th/19th centuries. I am pretty sure the East African Federation will solve the problems. These countries are still poorly developed, so merging into one nation for better economic development might be beneficial to the entire "new country".

Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryopus View Post
Well the U.S. was successful by annexing smaller republics back in the 18th/19th centuries. I am pretty sure the East African Federation will solve the problems. These countries are still poorly developed, so merging into one nation for better economic development might be beneficial to the entire "new country".
Might be, but no group of countries in the past century has ever done it successfully, nor, as far as I know ever even tried it over the natural factors of resistance to it. You want to create an East African Yugoslavia, and then stand back later on and watch how it comes apart?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Might be, but no group of countries in the past century has ever done it successfully, nor, as far as I know ever even tried it over the natural factors of resistance to it. You want to create an East African Yugoslavia, and then stand back later on and watch how it comes apart?
Or it could become an East African India where diversity remains, but a common, large, federated state lifts all boats.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
I know the Democratic Republicof the Congo wont like this. All its enemies united, haha.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I know the Democratic Republicof the Congo wont like this. All its enemies united, haha.
There have been some efforts to invite South Sudan and the DR of the Congo to join the East African Community:
Southern Sudan, DRC lining up to join the EA Community - News - www.theeastafrican.co.ke
Let DRC, South Sudan Join EAC

Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
There are lots of communities, lots of alliances. I wish the African countries the best. Maybe something good will come out of this. I certainly can't see the harm.

But I believe the only thing that will succeed is unification under 1 flag, with 1 government formed as a republic, with voting rights extended only to those who are qualified in some way. That's what did it in America all those years ago.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
The term “fast-track” is relative. In my experience, nothing is ever fast in Africa. They’ve been talking about this for a long time.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryopus View Post
There have been some efforts to invite South Sudan and the DR of the Congo to join the East African Community:
Southern Sudan, DRC lining up to join the EA Community - News - www.theeastafrican.co.ke
Let DRC, South Sudan Join EAC
Yes, the DRC probably would be better off to join the EAC, than to have their territory broken up like the case with Sudan and South Sudan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa