U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 06:16 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,660,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I had to correct a Nigerian doctor on this issue...He started with the false comparison of successful Black immigrants vs. poor
American Blacks who complain of racism. I said "Why aren't the Area Boys and 419 scammers in Lagos not successful as
there is no white racism there? He then admitted how Nigeria was mis-managed and that England and the United States were
stable countries. At least here, he said he knows that the schools will start the same time every year!..?

He was happy to be here because Nigeria is dysfunctional and mis-managed he stated.
For that same reason lots of African immigrants come to Europe, Canada, or these days even parts of Latin America.

People from poor countries move to where they have a chance at a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 AM

1,740 posts, read 625,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So you had to read a book to contribute. Are you sure that's a meaningful contribution? A semi-fictional book?

There's nothing wrong with not being able to contribute to or knowing very little about a subject. I'm not going to contribute to the Balkan subjects because I'm not from the Balkans and I don't live there.

You're neither an African or an African American, and at best can only look on the outside. You don't have any in depth knowledge on what happens when Africans meet African Americans.

This isn't a personal insult. I don't know what happens when people from the Balkans meet Russians, and I cannot speak about the experiences of either as I have nothing to do with either one.

It's okay for people to admit that certain things they don't know anything about (or even care to learn about, lol).
What is wrong with looking from the outside and arriving at accurate conclusions concerning people that one intends to live around (which I did indeed intend, until I concluded that there was still too much crime in Parkchester, so my Bronx condo will likely permanently remain my investment property, rather than home in retirement)? Teju Cole is very sharp, was born in the US, spent childhood and half of the teenage years in Nigeria, got his higher education again in the US - if he has no insight in the topic of this thread, I don't know who has. Btw, I don't read books to contribute to this forum, I just read them in general.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-23-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 10:58 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,660,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What is wrong with looking from the outside and arriving at accurate conclusions concerning people that one intends to live around (which I did indeed intend, until I concluded that there was still too much crime in Parkchester, so my Bronx condo will likely permanently remain my investment property, rather than home in retirement)? Teju Cole is very sharp, was born in the US, spent childhood and half of the teenage years in Nigeria, got his higher education again in the US - if he has no insight in the topic of this thread, I don't know who has. Btw, I don't read books to contribute to this forum, I just read them in general.
Who says your conclusions are accurate to begin with? You can't really go into details on the interactions between Africans and African Americans, which are not limited to African Americans and African immigrants to the US.

Some African Americans visit Africa or go there or business. Some African Americans move to Africa.

Some African Americans meet Africans in Europe or Asia or Canada or Latin America.

People who have direct experiences with these don't need to read a book to talk about them.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,045,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's also difficult to compare a highly motivated, gifted, driven person with no fallback options to a larger group of struggling people. If you take the smartest, hardest working black Americans, they could just as easily succeed in other places absent overt discrimination designed to keep them at the bottom.

It's actually laughable when you think about it. How are you coming here and comparing yourself to some of the poorest of our nation? Is there pride in being "better" than people who started with less and face way more barriers than you ever had to face, since you come from a country run by people who look like you? It's apples and oranges, and they know it.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
So that 'upper middle class' person from a war-torn nation comes to America with nothing (relative to other Americans) but with enough effort and hard work, gets back to their previous status......

Not to mention that they often have an easier time getting loans than black Americans, and they have networks back home that they can source money from. And really, in some ways, it's not a compliment to be so accepted by the power structure here. You are accepted because they know you're not a threat. Whether it's true or not, the fact that you left your country to find a "better life" shows that you are prone to disloyalty. After all, you could have stayed within your country to work toward building a better life for ALL, not just yourself. But you chose not to. Don't think that you are esteemed because you did so. In a way, you have marked yourself.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:56 AM

52 posts, read 92,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not to mention that they often have an easier time getting loans than black Americans, and they have networks back home that they can source money from. And really, in some ways, it's not a compliment to be so accepted by the power structure here. You are accepted because they know you're not a threat. Whether it's true or not, the fact that you left your country to find a "better life" shows that you are prone to disloyalty. After all, you could have stayed within your country to work toward building a better life for ALL, not just yourself. But you chose not to. Don't think that you are esteemed because you did so. In a way, you have marked yourself.
Iíve never heard of this. Source?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:

It's actually laughable when you think about it. How are you coming here and comparing yourself to some of the poorest of our nation? Is there pride in being "better" than people who started with less and face way more barriers than you ever had to face, since you come from a country run by people who look like you? It's apples and oranges, and they know it.

I have started financially with LESS, much less than an average person on welfare gets in the US. In the country where I am from, the skin color means nothing (since everybody has the same skin color), but the religion/ethnicity (which tends to be obvious the moment you start talking because the dialects and vocabularies are characteristic of specific ethnicities/religions) would have been a reason for being killed in the 1990s. If you are talking about me here, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever lived in a country with a long-simmering civil war (such as, eg, Nigeria - people who emigrate from there do NOT necessarily emigrate for economic reasons, and people somehow manage to obtain advanced education despite permanent political problems in the country). You have no clue about barriers you have to face when you are hunted down to be killed, being that you are from a country where poor people (including poor people of any race) get every kind of social support one could dream about. Who has been hunting you in the US at the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st century?

Yes, people who work for their keep are better than those who steal or take handouts when the system is offering them everything. Suppose you are a poor minority kid from ghetto in the US. You have free schools, free healthcare, free housing and free food stamps (all of it paid by some other hardworking people whom you despise despite the fact that they feed you and keep you alive). There is nothing else you need except go to school and get a an occupation. After you get trained for an occupation, then you get a job, and earn income. What else do you need to have offered to you? The rest of the society can't offer kids from ghetto parental care and safety from crime if their own parents don't care for them, and if their own community perpetrates the crime. The problem of "minority disadvantage" will never be resolved until the minority community solves it for itself, when it stops behaving dysfunctionally, and stops forever finding "historic" excuses for dysfunctional behavior. History is done and gone, for all of us. The economic support is there in the US for everyone who needs it, the chance to progress in life is offered on the plate (unlike in many other places in the world). There is nothing else that anybody can do about people who do NOT want to take what is offered to them.

You are prone to disloyalty after you leave a country due to being driven out of it forcefully? You are prone to disloyalty because you are ready to cooperate with a normal, fair, functional foreign government? Disloyalty towards whom - towards criminals? True, I owe no loyalty to criminals.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the floacist View Post
I’ve never heard of this. Source?

We're on the internet. Google.

ETA

Let me clarify "loans". I'm referring to business loans, specifically.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have started financially with LESS, much less than an average person on welfare gets in the US.

Do you even know what the "average person" on welfare gets a month? Listen...take your issues with poor people elsewhere. My comments didn't warrant the narrative you wrote. I am not about to go back and forth with you about this. Perhaps you should talk to someone who can help you work out your issues.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Do you even know what the "average person" on welfare gets a month? Listen...take your issues with poor people elsewhere. My comments didn't warrant the narrative you wrote. I am not about to go back and forth with you about this. Perhaps you should talk to someone who can help you work out your issues.

Yes, those data are published. The full package of welfare benefits for an unemployed single mother with two children in New York State (housing, healthcare, food, welfare checks) costs taxpayers $38,000 per year right now, ie, more than a person earns in a minimum wage job. What I earned for my first 3.5 years in the US was $8,000 per year (it was biomedical research, well over 40 hours per week). Adjusted for inflation, that would be equal to about $24,000 per year in today's money - 1/3 less than what you get handed to you in NY if you pop out two kids and spend your days sitting on a couch, munching on potato chips, and watching the Kardashians on TV.

You seem to enjoy repeating phrases you have heard somewhere, without bothering to understand what they mean, eg, "talking with someone who can help me work my issues out" - what does that mean. what issues?? Coming to the US at the age of 23, ****-poor and persecuted, working hard in the US, and semi-retiring at 49 with a couple of million in assets isn't really an issue that I need to work out :-). If everybody handled their problems the way I did, nobody would have any "issues" (hint: "issues" are generally not worked out by talking, but by working).

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-24-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or