U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2018, 09:05 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Reputation: 5213

Advertisements

That's great. Now have you calculated how much of your taxpayer dollars are allocated to DOD? What's the "per person" figure on that, in terms of annual salary? I'd love to know. Because it's much higher than whatever paltry sum goes to support single mothers.

You'd do well to focus on yourself and stop directing so much ire at people who are just trying to survive. That...or seek citizenship in a country that doesn't offer "welfare" to people.

ETA

Somehow I doubt you have millions in assets. You have too many gripes against the poor. Wealthy people (unless they are politicians trying to rile people up) don't focus so much energy on the poor. They're too busy trying to keep those assets. You behave as though the poor are taking food out of your mouth. That's not millionaire behavior.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2018, 05:45 AM
 
1,738 posts, read 621,943 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That's great. Now have you calculated how much of your taxpayer dollars are allocated to DOD? What's the "per person" figure on that, in terms of annual salary? I'd love to know. Because it's much higher than whatever paltry sum goes to support single mothers.

You'd do well to focus on yourself and stop directing so much ire at people who are just trying to survive. That...or seek citizenship in a country that doesn't offer "welfare" to people.

ETA

Somehow I doubt you have millions in assets. You have too many gripes against the poor. Wealthy people (unless they are politicians trying to rile people up) don't focus so much energy on the poor. They're too busy trying to keep those assets. You behave as though the poor are taking food out of your mouth. That's not millionaire behavior.

I haven't calculated anything, that is the publicly reported figure (by adding the cost of everything that an average person on welfare gets for free, and the working people have to buy. You are probably looking at the welfare check itself, that a welfare recipient gets after the living needs (housing, food, healthcare - all provided for free) are already taken care of. For your info, people who work have to pay for their living needs out of their earnings (which are also taxed if they make over a certain amount), and what is left over may be much less than the paltry sum the welfare recipient gets without work). Where do you think this welfare money comes from if not from taxpayers' earnings, does it just fall from the sky?


For your info also, since I know a lot if people who are in my low-million asset range (ie, between $1M and 4M in self-made assets): they tend to think EXACTLY like me. Overall, I focus on many things in my life, but somebody (in fact, I think you!) brought up the issue of poverty on this tread (in connection with Afro Americans vs the allegedly much better off native African immigrants), and I just responded - pointing out that many immigrants come from much worse poverty than the universally subsidized poor Americans (including poor Afro Americans) in the US do, and yet the immigrants in this country tend to do well in terms of taking care of themselves, without crime or handouts - I gave you a fairly detailed description of myself not because I think I am "better" but because I obviously know that particular example very well, and because I was really very, very poor when I came here. There are immigrant stories that are much more intensely "rags-to-riches" than mine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Reputation: 5213
Yes, we've heard a million times that you were poor when you got to America. As far as I'm concerned, you're still poor. Poverty of the mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 09:25 AM
 
1,738 posts, read 621,943 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yes, we've heard a million times that you were poor when you got to America. As far as I'm concerned, you're still poor. Poverty of the mind.
City Data Forum: personal insults from people who have no valid counter-arguments in discussion :-).

Incidentally, people who grew up poor and worked their way into a stable financial situation oftentimes (not always - there are people who insist on luxury, but those are usually the ones who came into money suddenly, not by working patiently for 30+ years) so, people who spent their youth being poor often actually prefer very modest lifestyle once they can afford much more. I am like that, I would rather do things cheaply than lavishly - but the things I enjoy most actually have to do with mind, and cost nothing. When I was poor, less and less poor, and no longer poor, my main recreational activity (without change) was reading books. If all the welfare poor craved books (which cost nothing borrowed from school or public library) rather than craving coke and bling and popping out kids, the poverty problem (and possibly even more importantly THE CRIME problem) would be solved in no time. If I mention that I never tried coke, do not own any bling, and do not have any kids, that is not because I mean to say I am "better", but that it is possible to be a frugal minimalist, and still be happy, and still accomplish safety/freedom in life (safety and freedom being the only reasons why one needs money in the first place, in excess of covering basic survival needs).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 09:54 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Reputation: 5213
Nobody is insulting you. I am only commenting on the behavior you display. Your actions speak loudly. Additionally, I think it's your desire to have me argue with you. There's no other explanation for the paragraphs you write in response to my simple statements. I want you to know that I see what you're trying to do, and I won't take the bait.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
 
1,738 posts, read 621,943 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Nobody is insulting you. I am only commenting on the behavior you display. Your actions speak loudly. Additionally, I think it's your desire to have me argue with you. There's no other explanation for the paragraphs you write in response to my simple statements. I eant you to be aware that I see What you're trying to do, and I won't take the bait.


What behavior? Sharing my experience, so somebody else in my former situation (ie, somebody very poor) can consider doing the same to help themselves constructively, instead of constantly complaining about not having this/that due to "history", and ripping other people off? If you see it as "the bait" (and why would I be "baiting" somebody I don't know from Adam and Eve?), then agreed, let's end this discussion. But then don't come back making personal remarks; I didn't make any about you (except that I said you couldn't possibly have a clue what it means to experience escalation of a civil war in your home country - but even that is not a personal remark, just a statement of the fact. I had no clue about it myself until it happened to me).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 10:03 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Reputation: 5213
You keep trying to turn the conversation back to the poor by making inflammatory statements. You've seen this get a reaction before, so you're trying to push that button again. I'm here to tell you it won't work. You should probably try this tactic on someone who doesn't see your pattern. Now, back to the topic of discussion...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 AM
 
1,738 posts, read 621,943 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You keep trying to turn the conversation back to the poor by making inflammatory statements. You've seen this get a reaction before, so you're trying to push that button again. I'm here to tell you it won't work. You should probably try this tactic on someone who doesn't see your pattern. Now, back to the topic of discussion...
Are you sure you have the correct recognition and interpretation of behaviors? (a moment ago you thought I didn't think the way people with a few but not many millions tend to think, although I in fact think very much like everybody else I know to be in that same financial situation). I am not pushing any buttons, why are you interpreting everything as pushing buttons? Again, it was YOU who brought the poverty into this discussion; I initially only said that I thought Africans were more similar to Europeans, and African Americans to other Americans, and the similarity seems to be a greater degree of individuality/curiosity in the people from the Old World, and a greater need to conform to a group in Americans. That is all I said initially, and that still strikes me as the greatest difference between the people from Africa/Europe and the people from the US. I think all other differences stem from that one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Are you sure you have the correct recognition and interpretation of behaviors?
Yes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM
 
1,738 posts, read 621,943 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yes.
No.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top