U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Status: ":)" (set 5 days ago)
 
3,790 posts, read 2,056,273 times
Reputation: 5235

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Sadly your concept of Africa comes from Tarzan!

Nope. It comes from the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Status: ":)" (set 5 days ago)
 
3,790 posts, read 2,056,273 times
Reputation: 5235
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
black Americans face LESS racism than do Africans, or even Caribbean blacks, when one adjusts for personal characteristics like education/skills, ambition and drive.
How do black immigrants face more racism than native blacks?

Quote:
Nigerians in fact arrive with college degrees, with a 1/3 even having advanced degrees. In fact their profile fits that of the Indian immigrant, even more than it does even a native white American. Yet they do much worse!

In what ways? The Nigerians I know are doing quite well. I don't know any native black American families that have had weddings at the Peninsula Hotel. I know Nigerians who have.

Quote:
Immigrants (international AND domestic) possess certain characteristics that help them break barriers.

Yes. They have money. Money buys you A LOT (access, for one) in a capitalistic society.

Quote:
Please don't convince yourself that someone from the University of Lagos will be viewed as seriously as someone who went to NYU, or even Baruch.
Of course they won't. Because...racism.


Quote:
So they would find HARDER time getting any concessions from the white dominated mainstream.
No. They can enroll in our universities (under a quota system that was intended to benefit native blacks...not just anyone with dark skin) and eventually get back to a similar social status they left back home.

Quote:
And if they had funding sources in Nigeria why would they migrate to the USA where they will be discriminated against as blacks, as immigrants and ESPECIALLY as Africans!
...so are you trying to tell me the vast majority of Nigerians in the US were poor in Nigeria?

Quote:
A Nigerian with an educational profile of the average black American (high school only) would do WORSE!
No, because this person likely wouldn't be allowed to (legally) come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,815 posts, read 2,488,198 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Nope. It comes from the Bible.
No, it doesn’t. If it did, you would know there were monetary systems as the Ethiopian in Acts 8 was in charge of the “all the treasury” of Queen Candace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Status: ":)" (set 5 days ago)
 
3,790 posts, read 2,056,273 times
Reputation: 5235
The person claimed *I* got my knowledge from Tarzan. That is incorrect. *I* use the Bible, along with historical knowledge, to guide my understanding of Africa. It was not a question of whether you or anyone else agrees with using the Bible as a credible source. Neither I, or anyone else, asked your opinion on that.

Last edited by treemoni; 08-07-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 PM
 
691 posts, read 923,009 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
OK based on this shall we assume that Lagos is a nice quiet city filled with extremely polite people to the extent that a car horn has people upset?

Some African elites clearly lived sheltered lives where their drivers and maids do the shopping, so live in a bubble. Upon arrival in the USA reality sets in.
I have mostly dealt with educated Africans, I was generalizing from among the group I know...However,
we had a group of Northern Nigerians and Saudis who lived in some row houses in the neighborhood.

My Yoruba friend told me these guys were basically taken from their village and dumped in America, no
acculturation. So we made the mistake of going out for drinks with them. One of the Northerners made
a BIG SCENE in the bar as to since he paid for his drink, why he could not take it outside with him?

He got in the bouncers face and wouldn't let the issue go, I walked off and left him in the bar as I did not
intend to go to jail and/or the hospital that night.

So I guess Street=Street no matter what country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,815 posts, read 2,488,198 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The person claimed *I* got my knowledge from Tarzan. That is incorrect. *I* use the Bible, along with historical knowledge, to guide my understanding of Africa. It was not a question of whether you or anyone else agrees with using the Bible as a credible source. Neither I, or anyone else, asked your opinion on that.
The Bible answers the question you had so obviously you are not using it either. The Bible is credible. You are not. Further, anyone is free to give their opinion on your statement. If you are unable to handle that, common sense would be to avoid posting on a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Status: ":)" (set 5 days ago)
 
3,790 posts, read 2,056,273 times
Reputation: 5235
You made an incorrect statement about my comment, and I corrected you. I responded calmly, as I'm doing now. Seems like you're the one who's upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
6,114 posts, read 1,854,468 times
Reputation: 8681
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I agree Bolu, but it has to be the right education. And too many Africans adopt a western education. Problem. Africans don't have an excuse for allowing those outside their culture to teach them.
If the African education and schools weren't inferior to western education, Africans would have no reason to learn western education.

I'm an educated black American. Obviously western education (regarding history) is highly biased and white washed. You don't read about Black American inventions and black-first achievements, only white ones. Only thing about blacks in American history books are slavery and civil rights.

Nonetheless society says I must study it to get X salary and X job. So I'll gladly adopt and study this western education and culture to making a good living, unless Africa somehow magically turns into Wakanda and has highly paid job one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
African-Americans, on the otherhand, are westerners by birth. Their ancestors were prevented, often under the threat of death, from teaching their descendants the ways of their native culture. So when they were allowed to learn, they had no culture of their own to teach.
African slaves in america weren't prevented from teaching their naive culture. European standards and beliefs were forced upon them, causing them to do away with tribal culture. They had ZERO time to teach anyone anything about culture and slaves came from different tribes/regions so it's not like they would all be teaching the same African tribal culture within the same plantation or within the same family anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Ya know...looking at if that way, it's pretty disgraceful how many Africans do not value their own culture and instead adopt a toxic foreign one. And at the end of the day, it's precisely why westerners see them as a cheap trick...easily exploitable for pennies on the dollar. You benefit their agenda. Do not ever misunderstand your position.
Adopting a "toxic foreign culture" is how you get a nice paying job. If Africa had better job opportunities, Africans wouldn't have to do that. Nothing disgraceful about it, Africans have to eat too and the meals aren't coming out of Africa. The "cheap tricks and exploitable" are Indians on H1-B visas getting paid a low salary because they accept the job.

What's disgraceful is the brain drain in Africa because there are no opportunities in that country.

The "white man's" agenda and "misunderstand your position" is hilarious racial nonsense. You study, adopt a culture, learn a skill, and work in something the world wants done. Or you move to a better country.

That is what smart Africans are doing. Look no further than the France soccer team with numerous 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generational French players with direct African ancestry. Kylian Mbappé makes $17 million a year as a soccer player, he thanks his lucky stars every night he was born in France and not Cameroon where his parents are from.

The rich and famous France soccer team and USA basketball team dominance (largely consisting of African decedents and ancestry) is the perfect example of what successful countries in Africa could've been. But Africa ain't no Wakanda and Kylian Mbappé was born in France.

Last edited by Rocko20; 08-08-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Status: ":)" (set 5 days ago)
 
3,790 posts, read 2,056,273 times
Reputation: 5235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If the African education and schools weren't inferior to western education, Africans would have no reason to learn western education.

Is it inferior? Not sure I agree with that. What's your point of reference?


Quote:
Obviously western education (regarding history) is highly biased and white washed. You don't read about Black American inventions and achievements, only white ones. Only thing about blacks in American history books are slavery and civil rights.
Agreed. Lo and behold...we have a rich history. A deep history. Thousands and thousands of years of history. It's the Europeans that actually have the shallow history. Imagine that!


Quote:
Nonetheless society says I must study it to get X salary and X job. So I'll gladly adopt and study this western education and culture to making a good living , unless Africa somehow magically turns into Wakanda and has highly paid job one day.
Suite yourself. We built civilizations before western society, and we can do it again. I personally have no desire to live in Africa. Wakanda is where the heart is.


Quote:
African slaves in america weren't prevented from teaching their naive culture.
They weren't? Interesting.



Quote:
Adopting a "toxic foreign culture" is how you get a nice paying job. If Africa had better job opportunities, Africans wouldn't have to do that.

No, Africans can build their own damn continent, since they're so smart, talented, and better than the people whose shoulders they stand on in this country. They come from an entire continent full of black people. Why are the Chinese building there? If they are so superior, why do their best and brightest go to western nations to be educated?

Quote:
Nothing disgraceful about it, Africans have to eat too and the meals aren't coming out of Africa.
Nonsense! Africa is full of natural resources. Why can't these people build their continent? Because their minds are enslaved.

Quote:
What's disgraceful is the brain drain in Africa because there are no opportunities in that country.

They should be creating opportunities. Instead, they are content to sit at another man's table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Alabama
38 posts, read 12,189 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do any of you live in places where the two meet? If so what have their interactions been like?
As an African in America, my interaction with some black Americans didn't go quite well when I was in school and some are cool in the real world.

Each side has pre-conceived stereotypes thanks to the mainsteam media that do not help in coming together as one (unity). We may have the same skin tone but we by far have different cultures, family traditions, languages (accents) and goals.

And that can cause confusion.

But we are still brothers and sisters or least cousins in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top