Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
It's interesting... the woman in the video says that blacks built America... you hear that a lot among Afro-centrists... negating the contributions of other people.
I find it interesting when people make such comments. So instead of being defensive, I'll ask: name a group that has done just as much if not more to build America. Please also name one that helped build it for hundreds of years with little or no compensation. And by "built" I mean...starting from the time before America was "America".

Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
With Barack, and based on all the information that exist regarding who he picked to be his spouse, its certain to me that from his part it didn’t start with love but interest. The love part probably grew on him with time, if not durig courtship and marriage then definitely after the daughters were born. None of this negates that Barack initially picked Michelle not so much due to a love of her, but rather his desire to become president. At that particular moment of his life he decided to sacrifice his own full happiness because his desire to be president was greater. Had the US been a different type of society where people’s allegiances aren’t based on race/color/with whom they date or marry, that’s one sacrifice Barack would had never done.
I'm no expert of Barack's inner mind when it comes to loving Michelle Obama.

BUT....I always thought him growing up in Hawaii to a white mother and white grandparents, he was very removed from what people associated as his black-American identity.

I felt like his desire to move to Chicago and work in the poorest neighborhoods, was him trying to connect to that perception of what other people saw. That's where he would have met the Reverend Wright and his future wife and everyone else who were instrumental in shaping his future self. They were big parts of him trying to find his identity. He also went to Kenya to search for his Father's family.

In short, I have no idea his inner mind when he met Michelle, but he obviously loves her. I'm going to guess they've gone through a lot of similar experiences that have bonded them to each other. Particularly the ones where Barack just keeps being associated as '100% black' (dismissing he's half and it isn't his primary identity/history)', or even the 'Muslim' or '100% Kenyan' labels and all the other negative stuff that regular Americans throw at an 'other' type.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
He saw himself in fact more as a non white foreign student.
A year earlier he was the All-American, though.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...hotos_0011.jpg

Old 09-11-2018, 01:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,839,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There's nothing complex about Obama's professed 'identity.' What he has done was to above all win the presidency. It was all calculated. He already knew of the racial problems affecting the USA and once the presidency became a goal of his, he had to think not what he truly wanted but what was best to gain him access to the White House as president of the USA.

According to this article, Obama married Michelle to ensure he would win the presidency, especially to get the African American vote. He knew that people were going to judge him based on the race of his wife (for people from outside of the USA this may seem odd, but in the USA all of this is important.)

In fact, his ex-(white)girlfriend's parents didn't object to him on racial terms because he came through to them as a 'white, middle-class kid.' That was before he had the presidency as his ultimate goal, when he was able to be who he truly is and not make calculating decisions to make others like him and vote for him.

Then, once Obama made the presidency one of his goals, his decision to ditch the white girlfriend and find himself a black one took precedence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d2f673825096
According to that article, yes. Whether the article is right or not is irrelevant.

Barack Obama is married to an African American woman and he has raised two African American daughters. Michelle Obama (Robinson) before she was married, like your typical African American is not 100% African. Most African Americans have at least some white ancestry. And please don't go out posting charts about what population is this percentage white and this percentage Black.

The point is Obama is not inaccurate in saying he is African American according to how he has lived, and that is his identity that he has every right to claim if he so choses.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

92,188 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
Obama was not the "first black president". This is another falsehood perpetuated by the left.
Notice he wasn't referred to as the first half white president...............

The issue of skin color being the only difference between whites and blacks.......another lie. People live in a dream world of lies. Ask any doctor or med student if there is a difference in the skeletal formation of a black vs. a white.
O.K .........I'll answer it for you, yes. Blacks have different skeletons than whites.

Makes me chuckle how gullible people are.
Actually, I believe that his mother had some African ancestry down the line in her family history: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ack-slave.html

So, he actually may be or is mostly of African descent.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I think it is very true that many Americans, independent of race, would have held Barack Obama suspect if he had married a white woman... and that this would have prevented his political ascendancy.
That maybe true, but that doesn't mean that's why he married Michelle Obama.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I believe that his mother had some African ancestry down the line in her family history: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ack-slave.html

So, he actually may be or is mostly of African descent.
His mother, even if she had some Black African ancestry, was clearly mostly white.

Just by looking at his facial features, hair, and complexion Obama is not mostly of African descent. Too light, and some of his mother's facial features come through.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm no expert of Barack's inner mind when it comes to loving Michelle Obama.

BUT....I always thought him growing up in Hawaii to a white mother and white grandparents, he was very removed from what people associated as his black-American identity.

I felt like his desire to move to Chicago and work in the poorest neighborhoods, was him trying to connect to that perception of what other people saw. That's where he would have met the Reverend Wright and his future wife and everyone else who were instrumental in shaping his future self. They were big parts of him trying to find his identity. He also went to Kenya to search for his Father's family.

In short, I have no idea his inner mind when he met Michelle, but he obviously loves her. I'm going to guess they've gone through a lot of similar experiences that have bonded them to each other. Particularly the ones where Barack just keeps being associated as '100% black' (dismissing he's half and it isn't his primary identity/history)', or even the 'Muslim' or '100% Kenyan' labels and all the other negative stuff that regular Americans throw at an 'other' type.

Good points. People like Trump pretended Obama's Kenyan father just SPAWNED him alone and questioned him being an American. Due to his mother being an American citizen, Obama would be an American citizen by birth even if he was born overseas. McCain was born in Panama and no one gave him a hard time.

So yes, Barack and Michelle would have faced similar experiences due to race, particularly as Black/non white students who both went to Ivy League schools. They would have shared similar professional struggles, as what it's like to be one of the few non white faces in certain environments.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
His mother, even if she had some Black African ancestry, was clearly mostly white.

Just by looking at his facial features, hair, and complexion Obama is not mostly of African descent. Too light, and some of his mother's facial features come through.
Aaaaahh....but this is where you fall for for the "race" con. I can totally believe his mother has African ancestry, because the original man came from that region. In a very (seemingly) radical way, every human being is African. Please believe that every single person who rose to prominence in American politics, be they black or white, has an ancestor who is either native to or helped found this land. If you trace the lineage of every American politician you will find this to be true. I guarantee it. Barack Obama is no different. This is because ultimately, the world is made up of people from various tribes. Barack Obama's mother was a "white" woman from an ancestral tribe. You can change the name, but the blood ties are forever.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM

673 posts, read 461,356 times
Let me help some of you. We are all of African decent "ALL OF US"..............Ever heard of Dr. Louis Leakey? Read up.

"Africans come in all colors". If you haven't been to Africa then do so........you'll get it then. And please do not listen to made up garbage presented by leftist professors or whacko's trying to change history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa