U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

24,247 posts, read 17,637,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I think it is very true that many Americans, independent of race, would have held Barack Obama suspect if he had married a white woman... and that this would have prevented his political ascendancy.
That maybe true, but that doesn't mean that's why he married Michelle Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I believe that his mother had some African ancestry down the line in her family history: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ack-slave.html

So, he actually may be or is mostly of African descent.
His mother, even if she had some Black African ancestry, was clearly mostly white.

Just by looking at his facial features, hair, and complexion Obama is not mostly of African descent. Too light, and some of his mother's facial features come through.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm no expert of Barack's inner mind when it comes to loving Michelle Obama.

BUT....I always thought him growing up in Hawaii to a white mother and white grandparents, he was very removed from what people associated as his black-American identity.

I felt like his desire to move to Chicago and work in the poorest neighborhoods, was him trying to connect to that perception of what other people saw. That's where he would have met the Reverend Wright and his future wife and everyone else who were instrumental in shaping his future self. They were big parts of him trying to find his identity. He also went to Kenya to search for his Father's family.

In short, I have no idea his inner mind when he met Michelle, but he obviously loves her. I'm going to guess they've gone through a lot of similar experiences that have bonded them to each other. Particularly the ones where Barack just keeps being associated as '100% black' (dismissing he's half and it isn't his primary identity/history)', or even the 'Muslim' or '100% Kenyan' labels and all the other negative stuff that regular Americans throw at an 'other' type.

Good points. People like Trump pretended Obama's Kenyan father just SPAWNED him alone and questioned him being an American. Due to his mother being an American citizen, Obama would be an American citizen by birth even if he was born overseas. McCain was born in Panama and no one gave him a hard time.

So yes, Barack and Michelle would have faced similar experiences due to race, particularly as Black/non white students who both went to Ivy League schools. They would have shared similar professional struggles, as what it's like to be one of the few non white faces in certain environments.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,041,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
His mother, even if she had some Black African ancestry, was clearly mostly white.

Just by looking at his facial features, hair, and complexion Obama is not mostly of African descent. Too light, and some of his mother's facial features come through.
Aaaaahh....but this is where you fall for for the "race" con. I can totally believe his mother has African ancestry, because the original man came from that region. In a very (seemingly) radical way, every human being is African. Please believe that every single person who rose to prominence in American politics, be they black or white, has an ancestor who is either native to or helped found this land. If you trace the lineage of every American politician you will find this to be true. I guarantee it. Barack Obama is no different. This is because ultimately, the world is made up of people from various tribes. Barack Obama's mother was a "white" woman from an ancestral tribe. You can change the name, but the blood ties are forever.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM

677 posts, read 254,777 times
Let me help some of you. We are all of African decent "ALL OF US"..............Ever heard of Dr. Louis Leakey? Read up.

"Africans come in all colors". If you haven't been to Africa then do so........you'll get it then. And please do not listen to made up garbage presented by leftist professors or whacko's trying to change history.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,837,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don’t doubt that Barack and Michelle love each other.

It’s very hard for me to say what lead Michelle to unite with Barack, mostly because I haven’t researched her aspect of this.

With Barack, and based on all the information that exist regarding who he picked to be his spouse, its certain to me that from his part it didn’t start with love but interest. The love part probably grew on him with time, if not durig courtship and marriage then definitely after the daughters were born. None of this negates that Barack initially picked Michelle not so much due to a love of her, but rather his desire to become president. At that particular moment of his life he decided to sacrifice his own full happiness because his desire to be president was greater. Had the US been a different type of society where people’s allegiances aren’t based on race/color/with whom they date or marry, that’s one sacrifice Barack would had never done.

Now that I think about it, I don’t think the US has ever had an interracial presidential family. The reasons for that probably has nothing to do with many of the presidents themselves but rather the racism that permeats US society.
This is a very solid post, well done. If Obama marries any of those white female students from Harvard then you can rest assured he doesn’t get close to the office.

In America, interracial relationships still come with a huge stigma when you’re running for public office and based on what political party you represent. Kamala Harris is a black democratic woman married to a white man so it will be interesting if she can stomach the scrutiny it would take to run for the Whitehouse.

However, if Obama was a republican who married a white woman I do believe he would have some success with conservative voters. As we know, Ben Carson and Herman Cain also ran for president as Republican but even they are married to black women, so who knows for sure?

As far as Obama’s being African American, this is complex. There is nothing about Obama’s life that is typical of the average African American. He’s half white, lived in Indonesia, father is African, raised by his white grandmother, born in Hawaii, and took back and forth trips to Indonesia to visit family.

At the end of the day, Obama is more “multiracial” than he is “African American.” Being married to an African American woman doesn’t make him anymore black than being married to a white woman makes me a white American. His multicultural and international travel childhood differentiates him from most blacks. He likely blended/hid behind his light skin growing up and many blacks like myself don’t have that luxury. Republican Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon and never even had that luxury.

But the point is Obama was brilliant. Exploiting the black vote for empty “hope and change” while he cashed out on numerous book and speech deals which made him a millionaire overnight is something only corrupt Chicago politics could teach. Telling blacks they need government assistance to accomplish what he did a long with having his own daughters go to Harvard, was another great play out of the black exploitation playbook.

Now he’s made it, never has to work a day in his life and will have secret service protection for his entire life all while Souttside Chicago surpasses 400 homicides for the 4th straight year. Well done Obama, well done.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:54 AM

Skin color politics is so funny. Kamala Harris is light-skinned. Barack Obama? Not so much. But I guess he's light-skinned if you're darker than he is.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 AM

3,509 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Barack Obama is light skin in comparison to his Kenyan relatives and is lighter than a lot(if not over half) of African Americans.

As for his mother having black African ancestry(at least in th pass 400 years), it was said during his first term that he had ancestors who were slave owners on his mother side. It was also reported that he is part Irish, and perhaps unbeknown to a lot of people there is history of the Irish being indentured servants in this country and were mingling with blacks, who back in the early 17th century were practically treated in the same manner as their Irish counterparts. Its possible back then that there was a quite of bit intermingling between Irish and Blacks to a point of producing mixed children, since not only do today African Americans tend to have British ancestry as a result of slavery but also Irish ancestry as well. Its also likely that some of the slave owners themselves were Irish.

But if you look at Barack, he resembles his mother a lot in the face; and stands out comparatively when around Kenyan relatives(father included). Its just when you compare him to African Americans, he can blend in to the point as almost not being detected as biracial.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-12-2018 at 08:19 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Barack Obama is light skin in comparison to his Kenyan relatives and is lighter than a lot(if not over half) of African Americans.

As for his mother having black African ancestry(at least in th pass 400 years), it was said during his first term that he had ancestors who were slave owners on his mother side. It was also reported that he is part Irish, and perhaps unbeknown to a lot of people there is history of the Irish being indentured servants in this country and were mingling with blacks, who back in the early 17th century were practically treated in the same manner as their Irish counterparts. Its possible back then that there was a quite of bit intermingling between Irish and Blacks to a point of producing mixed children, since not only do today African Americans tend to have British ancestry as a result of slavery but also Irish ancestry as well. Its also likely that some of the slave owners themselves were Irish.

But if you look at Barack, he resembles his mother a lot in the face; and stands out comparatively when around Kenyan relatives(father included). Its just when you compare him to African Americans, he can blend in to the point as almost not being detected as biracial.
I'm one of those Irish descents, via Detroit. I think they shared the same spheres....my grandfather, when he was alive, was basically like a Puerto Rican or something, in that they used to live side-by-side and shared the same non-WASP existance. That being said, like anyone on this forum would acknowledge, being Irish, if you really wanted to, you can deny your heritage/your background/your ancestors/your family and go completely WASP-like, if you so wanted to (unlike someone without white skin). THere's a great book with a title of something like 'How the Irish became white."

You are also right about the Indentured Servitude of Irish...of course, they weren't permanently marked by pigmentation in the same way. But that 'serving time' was a similar element. Also, sometimes among the Black community there is this mis-fact that blacks built New York City and built the North, when in fact, Irish were the ones usually up on the 50th floor in those pictures, up on a beam, and practically everywhere else. Not dismissing Black Americans at all...but just agreeing that Irish were in there quite a bit, building a lot of America more than people sometimes realize. ANother theme, most of my Irish descendents were involved in some element of legalities - either serving time in prisons (or the boxing ring) or going the other way, police officers, judges, lawyers....always something with the legal system. It reminds me a lot of the more hardcore blacks who see one of those sides one times too many, and at a young age choose a side. That being said, most irish are now mixed in the u.s. so there is much less of that than before. But, very much a reality before.

Mixed children. Yeah, wouldn't suprise me if Barack has some Irish in him. I think I read Bob Marley also has a white Father, and something sticks in my mind that he might have been Irish. Found something unrelated on my 3-minute search to verify that - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...aica-1.3225038

Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM

There was a NYT article in 2012 that said Barack Obama may be connected to John Punch on his mother's side. Punch is known by some historians as the first "African" to be legally deemed a slave in America. He was an indentured servant who escaped with white servants but received a harsher penalty. What's interesting is that Ralph Bunche, a diplomat, also descends from the Punch family. Like I said before, you will probably find such links among all these people in the upper echelon of government. These positions are not left to chance. Anywho, it looks like the Punches had a history of passing (Google a photo of Ralph Bunche). Although black genes are dominant (meaning even if you try to breed the "black" out of your family, it could show up generations later), there are some white people with strong genes. I know someone whose grandmother is white. This person is 3/4 "black" but looks biracial, and so does her child who has two black parents. So the grandmother's "white" genes are very strong, especially considering one of her parents is dark-skinned. Interestingly enough, the Punch family does have Irish in their lineage. My best guess is Barack Obama's black relative was mixed and could pass for white, and the family simply lived as white after that, only procreating with whites or fair-skinned Native Americans. Louisiana Creoles managed to keep their families as fair-skinned/white through selective breeding, so it's possible to keep your ethnic heritage hidden. This is why Louisana's culture is more similar to a Caribbean island, down to the colorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or