U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
632 posts, read 290,552 times
Reputation: 741

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Race was not invented America. It began in Europe among scientists who wanted to classify humans in the same manner that had been done for plants and animals. It was brought to the Americas by Europeans and continued and forced on others by them and their descendants...
Ancient Talmudic teachings divided mankind into three races: the Semitic (Asiatic), the Hamitic (African), and the Japhetic (Indo-European).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2018, 12:45 PM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
632 posts, read 290,552 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Highly educated black men are surrounded and outnumbered by unattached talented and highly educated black women while in higher education. Sometimes dating outside of your ethnicity is by necessity and not desire. Perhaps Barack had neither the desire or the necessity to date anyone other than black women.
Also, however, many highly educated black men prefer to marry white women because "they know how to treat a man"... after all, chances are greater that a white woman grew up in a household headed by her father than the average black woman... and, as such, has more experience in *normal* married husband-wife relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM
 
9,480 posts, read 10,224,346 times
Reputation: 7201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Also, however, many highly educated black men prefer to marry white women because "they know how to treat a man"... after all, chances are greater that a white woman grew up in a household headed by her father than the average black woman... and, as such, has more experience in *normal* married husband-wife relations.
A black man perusing higher education at the level of Yale or Harvard or in the Ivy League schools will come into contact with African American women who are far from "normal." According to the journal of Blacks in Higher Education, black men are out numbered. You will find many black women in the Ivy league come from backgrounds that for all practical purposes are no different from their white counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 PM
 
24,252 posts, read 17,689,806 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
a black man perusing higher education at the level of yale or harvard or in the ivy league schools will come into contact with african american women who are far from "normal." according to the journal of blacks in higher education, black men are out numbered. You will find many black women in the ivy league come from backgrounds that for all practical purposes are no different from their white counterparts.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,763 posts, read 2,476,704 times
Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Ancient Talmudic teachings divided mankind into three races: the Semitic (Asiatic), the Hamitic (African), and the Japhetic (Indo-European).
Nope...those are not racial categorizations. You are trying to racialize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 PM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
632 posts, read 290,552 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nope...those are not racial categorizations. You are trying to racialize them.
This is a primer on the view of black/African people in early Judaism, Christianity and Islam:

https://glc.yale.edu/sites/default/f...Goldenberg.pdf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 11:56 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,844 posts, read 12,365,202 times
Reputation: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To a point, I disagree. History means nothing. My grandparents came to America from Russia, escaping the oppression of the Tsar. That is completely meaningless to me, and has made no contribution whatsoever to who I am as a person.

A Black American and a Black African have nothing in common whatsoever, any more so than a White American and White African. They may, incidentally, be able to find some common ground if they both grew up in a place where Blacks were subjected to discrimination or oppression. But no living Black American was directly affected by Slavery, and very few old enough to have been directly affected by Segretation. Similarly, very few Black Africans are old enough to have been directly affected by Colonialism. However historically important those phenomena are, a Black American and a Black African meeting in the street have not been influenced at all in their lifetimes by slavery, segregation or colonialism. No more so than I and a 25 year old Russian have any common experience of serfdom or oppression in Russia.

As an aside, has it occurred to you that Barack Obama did not spend one single day of his childhood living in an African-American household, society or neighborhood, and cannot know from personal experience that that would be like. He is the 44th US president to be raised as a white child by a white family in a white social framework. It would be "unnatural" for Obama to assume that he has anything in common with even a Black American, much less a Black African.
But he's truly embraced a black identity despite not growing up in a traditional African American family, much like Colin Kaepernick is also into black radicalism even he too was raised in a white family. And we see how many African Americans were really into the Black Panther movie because it depicted an African nation. Some African Americans do believe in a pan-African identity while fewer Africans do. I do know a couple African immigrants who grew up not being obsessed about race and seeing themselves more like typical immigrants, but get caught up in black activism after joining African American groups in college and are now into BLM and that bull crap;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Status: ":)" (set 13 hours ago)
 
3,776 posts, read 2,049,654 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Race was not invented America. It began in Europe among scientists who wanted to classify humans in the same manner that had been done for plants and animals. It was brought to the Americas by Europeans and continued and forced on others by them and their descendants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Good point because Europeans came to America with that notion already prior to American being known as America.

We are splitting hairs. It was created for implementation in America and sanctioned as an institution here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 12:44 AM
Status: ":)" (set 13 hours ago)
 
3,776 posts, read 2,049,654 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
chances are greater that a white woman grew up in a household headed by her father than the average black woman... and, as such, has more experience in *normal* married husband-wife relations.

What are "normal" husband-wife relations? Having a father in the household doesn't mean he is a good father/man. Plenty of rich kids in two-parent households doing more drugs than any poor kid from a single-parent household. The logic is a bit flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 03:58 AM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
632 posts, read 290,552 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What are "normal" husband-wife relations? Having a father in the household doesn't mean he is a good father/man. Plenty of rich kids in two-parent households doing more drugs than any poor kid from a single-parent household. The logic is a bit flawed.
Research has consistently found that children living with two parents are better off than children living with only one parent. See, for example, https://ifstudies.org/blog/when-it-c...he-same-as-two, or for a brief exposition on the benefits accrued to children with two parents, see https://living.thebump.com/data-sing...lds-15860.html.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top