U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 05:27 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,952,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
The AA guy in the above post is now calling out Africans who criticize him for always going to the "BUSH" who accuse him of
showing only the "primitive" side of Africa thus continuing the stereotype of Africa as primitive. .
This is it. They wanted to show the skyscrapers but then these buildings were constructed by the Chinese and not reflecting African expertise or the ability to finance projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 2,885 times
Word! He was "basically" abandoned by his African father, so he really has no connection to his African roots. He was raised by his white American mother. He lived in various countries and Hawaii, not really being exposed to black American culture until he moved to Chicago. He was basically raised white Americans, but fortunately, it did not keep him from embracing black American culture.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Really? What about all the thug dictators ruling many African nations today?

Old 01-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Amen to this. I spent most of my brainwashed life trying to fit into a culture that was never going to accept me. Now I'm a 55 yo women with no family. I'm Only now starting to appreciate what it means to be black. What a waste of a life!!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reality is that white Americans and African Americans culturally are the same
Even though they won't admit it

Racism is so ingrained in people that they think that if two people of the same color meet each other, they should get along
Same way, they are surprised when people of two different colors get along.

Culture has no color
I remember one day at work being confronted by an older Ethiopian man. He wanted me to talk about my African roots. He wanted to know my African name and what African Nation I was from, since I was African American like him. I'm not sure if he was trying to insult me or what, for being less African, but I basically gave him my American name and told him, I was born in California and that my family has been in America for hundreds of years. Later that evening, I had a conversation with an American White women, middle-aged like myself. We were discussing our similar plights of being middle-aged and single in America. There was no insulting language in our conversation and we basically share the same experiences. I have a healthy curiosity about all people, but I also understand that there will always be ignorant people and haters in all cultures and races.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The point that you don't get is that Africans and some Caribbean people see that the USA offers much greater opportunities than do their 3rd world countries, and they just cannot understand why a significant % of the AA population just fail to take advantage of this. They wonder why they, from backward nations, can fit into the middle class while so many AAs, whose ancestries go back up to 400 years, cannot.

Now there are a whole host of reasons for this but then AAs must also understand why immigrants (black and non black) wonder about them. Why for example do AAs score as badly in English tests as do Hispanic and Asian immigrant kids, many coming from homes where English isn't spoken? .

If one looks at most racial groups in the USA the foreign born have lower median household incomes than is the case for US born. Not so with blacks where black immigrant households have higher median incomes. Now this can be explained for African immigrants who are among the most educated groups living in the USA, so this is a highly selective group. But Caribbean immigrants have similar levels of 4 year college attainment as do AAs and yet their median household incomes are higher. This largely because their labor force participation rates are higher.

The reality is that past racism has done severe damage to the psyche of a significant % of the AA population. Contemporary racism impacts all black groups identically as I see no proof that black immigrants are given preferential treatment, except for jobs that no one really wants.
I believe it more of the breakdown of the black American family that hurt us economically more than racism. Of course Racism is what killed the family, although most family life in America is broken down. Racist are always gonna be racist. But if black Americans have a strong black family, that can curb the tide of Racism. This is one thing that Africans do have going for them.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,260,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjieJ98354 View Post
I believe it more of the breakdown of the black American family that hurt us economically more than racism. Of course Racism is what killed the family, although most family life in America is broken down. Racist are always gonna be racist. But if black Americans have a strong black family, that can curb the tide of Racism. This is one thing that Africans do have going for them.
As someone who immigrated at a young age to the USA I see some similarities with poor white people in the USA I hate to generalize but from my perspective most of their families suck and they can't get ahead either. I witnessed many people coming to the USA from my country of origin the parents are working class doing menial jobs the kids and grandkids become financially successful in some cases and college educated whereas the people the parents and grandparents worked with their kids and grandkids are no better despite being in the USA for many generations. In most cases they won't go anywhere there is no drive, no hope and to be truthful many of them are terrible parents and don't give a damn.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:43 AM

691 posts, read 921,972 times
The mere fact that one is an immigrant in the first place indicates DRIVE to get ahead or they want their descendants to get
ahead, that is one of their values. Natives might have the attitude "this is how it is" or are comfortable in a familiar routine of
life.

The argument of why don't Black Americans succeed like other Black immigrants is part of the American racial dynamic as
AA's being painted and the "bad guys". This is a simplistic "Apple vs. Orange" argument. You have Black Americans who are
succeeding and Black immigrants who are not.

No one asks why poor American whites in trailer parks are not succeeding while many whites are. A lot has to due with family function or dysfunction.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:55 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,260,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
The mere fact that one is an immigrant in the first place indicates DRIVE to get ahead or they want their descendants to get
ahead, that is one of their values. Natives might have the attitude "this is how it is" or are comfortable in a familiar routine of
life.

The argument of why don't Black Americans succeed like other Black immigrants is part of the American racial dynamic as
AA's being painted and the "bad guys". This is a simplistic "Apple vs. Orange" argument. You have Black Americans who are
succeeding and Black immigrants who are not.

No one asks why poor American whites in trailer parks are not succeeding while many whites are. A lot has to due with family function or dysfunction.
I have and am fascinated by the one's who push through the obstacles and steer clear of the one's who don't give a damn.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:34 PM

691 posts, read 921,972 times
A lot of it might just come down to personality, I know individuals (mom and daughter) they grew up poor in the projects, one
day something clicked and the mom and daughter both decided to go to school and become nurses, and they both ended up
leaving their husbands.

Or you have individuals in a family who just decide they are not going to be part of the family dysfunction and do the opposite.

Conversely, I had a childhood friend who everyone thought would be a success, with a middle-class upbringing, very intelligent
but got with the ghetto crowd and became a drug addict, meanwhile her ghetto best friend did the opposite and became a
success.

The middle-class girl got fascinated with the "street life" through a street boyfriend, got caught up in it, BUT her best friend
knew when to pick up the streets and when to DROP the streets and go study and do what she was supposed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or