U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,763 posts, read 2,476,704 times
Reputation: 2780

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Immigrant success is overblown, is my point.

White privilege (yes, there are lots of white immigrants) goes far beyond what any Black immigrant will get.

That was my point. Pushing means absolutely nothing if you don't have access.

And yes, look at all the first Black people to do this or that in the US (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Thurgood Marshall, Adam Clayton Powell, Condoleeza Rice, etc). They were able to do so in part because of partial white ancestry. White privilege is that strong.

And apparently these morons like the understanding off their home nations as well. Black people aren't native to the Caribbean, there were brought there via the transatlantic slave trade. So the legacy of those sugarcane plantations is that the Caribbean is very poor, and thus people are desperate to immigrate. Of course, the history of slavery and subsequent exclusion is why you have considerable poverty among Americans.

I've been to the Spanish Caribbean and certainly saw a lot of poverty there, and the other islands I'm sure cannot much better.

All that money was made off Black people for centuries, whether we grew sugarcane or cotton.

The idea that some Caribbeans have to show that they are somehow better than "bad" African Americans is like a house slave mentality. It's the ultimate in self hatred. Because someone really comfortable in their own skin does not need to compare themselves to others, or even care what others are doing. You'd be able to assess yourself on what you've accomplished.

I've two Ivy League degrees, I've worked in academia, among other jobs in NYC and there were always almost NO other Black people doing the things I did. There were so few Black people at that level that any Black person I met was happy to see another Black person, and ethnicity wasn't an issue.

Another thing that probably distorts the perspective of Caribbean Blacks is many moved from the islands to the Northern ghettoes. Even during the 1800s, there were Black Americans who owned property.

I grew up in the rural South. It was the norm for Black people to work, to have cars (there's no public transportation, etc). It is the norm for people to own the property where they live. I'm not saying everyone is fine, but presenting AAs as "urban" completely distorts the history of the US and the current realities of African Americans, who still mostly live in the South.
My point is simply that immigrants push themselves because they endeavor to be successful, to achieve a better life for their families. Yes, some are prejudice and are ignorant of AA struggles. However, the focus is not and has never been to spit on other people.

Caribbean people are generally well aware of their histories and the reasons for poverty in the region. However, like many immigrants, some Caribbean people have yet to grasp the affects of the mistreatment of African-Americans. As far as the non-Spanish speaking Caribbean, the level of poverty depends on the island. Certain groups are less likely to immigrate because their islands are doing relatively well at this point. Others come in higher numbers.

There is ignorance on both sides when it comes to each other’s histories and accomplishments. Hopefully, now that more information is accessible via the internet and the increase in travel, things will change for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM
 
24,251 posts, read 17,689,806 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
My point is simply that immigrants push themselves because they endeavor to be successful, to achieve a better life for their families. Yes, some are prejudice and are ignorant of AA struggles. However, the focus is not and has never been to spit on other people.

Caribbean people are generally well aware of their histories and the reasons for poverty in the region. However, like many immigrants, some Caribbean people have yet to grasp the affects of the mistreatment of African-Americans. As far as the non-Spanish speaking Caribbean, the level of poverty depends on the island. Certain groups are less likely to immigrate because their islands are doing relatively well at this point. Others come in higher numbers.

There is ignorance on both sides when it comes to each other’s histories and accomplishments. Hopefully, now that more information is accessible via the internet and the increase in travel, things will change for the better.
Caribbean people who stay in the US long enough do indeed grasp the affects of mistreatment of African Americans, particularly as they or their children suffer from those affects. People of color were locked up in prison due to the war on drugs, which was a war on people of color and many darker people whether Latino, AA, or Caribbean fell victim to this. Caribbean people, along with other minorities including AAs are getting gentrified out of huge parts of NYC, and obviously replaced by white people. Immigrant communities in NYC are not only living in fear of displacement, now there's fear of ICE.

It's actually pretty bad in the US, and only a completely delusional fool could not see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,763 posts, read 2,476,704 times
Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Caribbean people who stay in the US long enough do indeed grasp the affects of mistreatment of African Americans, particularly as they or their children suffer from those affects. People of color were locked up in prison due to the war on drugs, which was a war on people of color and many darker people whether Latino, AA, or Caribbean fell victim to this. Caribbean people, along with other minorities including AAs are getting gentrified out of huge parts of NYC, and obviously replaced by white people. Immigrant communities in NYC are not only living in fear of displacement, now there's fear of ICE.

It's actually pretty bad in the US, and only a completely delusional fool could not see it.
Yes usually that is the case the longer one is in the U.S. Some take longer than others depending on where they live, of course. There are also individuals who were aware before they reached the U.S. Nowadays, the climate of the nations has made immigrants in general far more aware of how many feel about and treat minorities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 AM
 
24,251 posts, read 17,689,806 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes usually that is the case the longer one is in the U.S. Some take longer than others depending on where they live, of course. There are also individuals who were aware before they reached the U.S. Nowadays, the climate of the nations has made immigrants in general far more aware of how many feel about and treat minorities in general.
There's also the fact news is much more available due to the internet, social media, and even cable television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,763 posts, read 2,476,704 times
Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's also the fact news is much more available due to the internet, social media, and even cable television.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 AM
 
84 posts, read 33,715 times
Reputation: 153
African immigrants in the US are well off people that meet the requirements to migrate to the US.

They come from Africa's middle class.

American blacks on the other hand are descendants of slaves who were highly oppressed for several centuries.


One is an educated fresh off the boat immigrant who does not know what oppression is because in their countries they lived a life of priviledge and freedom…..

The other one is an American carrying a load becuase of a history of discrimination and oppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
 
5,861 posts, read 14,075,455 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovia View Post
African immigrants in the US are well off people that meet the requirements to migrate to the US.

They come from Africa's middle class.


American blacks on the other hand are descendants of slaves who were highly oppressed for several centuries.


One is an educated fresh off the boat immigrant who does not know what oppression is because in their countries they lived a life of priviledge and freedom…..


The other one is an American carrying a load becuase of a history of discrimination and oppression.
Uh, no. You must not have ever traveled to the many US cities with large numbers of African refugees, such as Atlanta, Washington, Minneapolis, St Louis, Denver, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 AM
 
24,251 posts, read 17,689,806 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovia View Post
African immigrants in the US are well off people that meet the requirements to migrate to the US.

They come from Africa's middle class.

American blacks on the other hand are descendants of slaves who were highly oppressed for several centuries.


One is an educated fresh off the boat immigrant who does not know what oppression is because in their countries they lived a life of priviledge and freedom…..

The other one is an American carrying a load becuase of a history of discrimination and oppression.
Lots of African immigrants working as cab drivers, in pizza stands, etc NYC. The majority of them are not middle class immigrants.

In fact, more African immigrants come to Europe where I'd say most work in salons, restaurants, farms, security, construction, etc. There are wealthy ones who come (same as the US) but these are not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM
 
Location: PVB
3,239 posts, read 1,660,008 times
Reputation: 3745
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Richard Pryor had a hillarious gag about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Status: ":)" (set 13 hours ago)
 
3,776 posts, read 2,049,654 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Uh, no. You must not have ever traveled to the many US cities with large numbers of African refugees, such as Atlanta, Washington, Minneapolis, St Louis, Denver, etc.
Of course some of them will struggle here. You cannot compare the 1% of a third world nation to the 1% of a developed nation. It's like someone who can live well in rural Alabama thinking they can have the same lifestyle if they lived in New York City. A very select group of people gets to come to America. It is not some random process left to chance. America knows who she allows within her borders, and it ain't the low people on the totem pole. We have our own poor to deal with. Why would we accept someone else's? That's why they have such a problem with the border. These people aren't the "right" kind of immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top