U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 02:55 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is, however, a filter you are not considering: They left Jamaica.

I call this the "Frontiersman Filter." The willingness to leave "home" for a "chance of better" is a distinct advantage of adaptation that is proven time and again over human history. I count it even in my own family history, when my great-great grandparents left a Mississippi sharecrop plantation to join the 1889 Oklahoma land rush. Why didn't everyone do that? Why didn't everyone leave Europe for the New World?

The psychological ability to step out of a settled environment into an unknown is an adaptive benefit in itself and is part of the equation of that person's success.

I agree, and that is the major difference between Caucasian immigrants such as the Irish and the Italian and post-1964 immigrants compared to African-Americans. It really isn't slavery, it's Jim Crow--which is a 20th century phenomenon that was still in full force in my early childhood and is only now on the ebb. As I've said before, it will take at least the death of the Boomer Generation to assert that Jim Crow is gone.

In fact there have been studies comparing AAs who have recently migrated to another part of the USA with those who have never left home. The differentials in median HH are about the same as that which separates Caribbean immigrants from AAs. So the biggest fact driving the differentials between these two black groups is the selectivity of migration. Not that whites prefer Caribbean blacks, as some AAs want to peddle.

And yes Jim Crow did far more damage than did slavery and yet claims for reparations are blamed on the latter. Now imagine if the focus was on seeking financial redress for post WWII treatment of blacks by the Federal gov't as measured by the GI Bill and redlining by Federal agencies. Clearly there are still people DIRECTLY impacted by this. Clearly virtually all whites benefitted from this and so clearly the usual arguments against reparation dont apply.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Caribbean people who stay in the US long enough do indeed grasp the affects of mistreatment of African Americans, particularly as they or their children suffer from those affects. People of color were locked up in prison due to the war on drugs, which was a war on people of color and many darker people whether Latino, AA, or Caribbean fell victim to this. Caribbean people, along with other minorities including AAs are getting gentrified out of huge parts of NYC, and obviously replaced by white people. Immigrant communities in NYC are not only living in fear of displacement, now there's fear of ICE.

It's actually pretty bad in the US, and only a completely delusional fool could not see it.
Not only do they see the impact of racism on AAs, but they are also impacted by them. Some of the most notorious examples of police abuse involve black immigrants, often African or Haitian. Institutional racism and implicit bias impacts all blacks regardless as to ethnicity.

The difference is that of the AA underclass when compared to middle class AAs and black immigrants. The legacy of Jim Crow has left many with a cynical attitude towards this country, and so an inability to display the attributes which allow them to benefit from opportunities as they emerge. The fact that Caribbean immigrants have higher median household incomes when compared to AAs is due largely to the differential outcomes among the least educated of both groups. Poorly educated Caribbean immigrants have higher levels of labor-force participation and work longer hours. So there is more income.

Please stop babbling about ICE. Obama deported more immigrants than did any other president and its not apparent that Trump is deporting more. Obama and others deported many green card holders with minimal criminal records like DUI or fare beating. Its about time the SJW quit peddling lies because they want every single Honduran to claim asylum and then walk into the country. They need to go through the same process as the rest of us did because I dont see anyone sending boats to Haiti to allow them to crawl on to some beach and ask for asylum. As bad as Honduras might be Haiti is a good deal worse and so Haitians have the same rights of asylum, yet I dont see the entire SJW nation lobbying for them.

ICE is enforcing the existing immigrant laws and if people wish them to do different then they need to change the immigration laws. No country allows unrestricted access by foreigners. As an immigrant I can assure you that the USA has more lenient policies of legal immigration than do most wealthy nations. Canada selects who they want and if you dont fit their criteria they dont let you in. The undocumented migrants who fled there away from Trump have now been denied permanent entry.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Lots of African immigrants working as cab drivers, in pizza stands, etc NYC. The majority of them are not middle class immigrants.

In fact, more African immigrants come to Europe where I'd say most work in salons, restaurants, farms, security, construction, etc. There are wealthy ones who come (same as the US) but these are not the majority.
The USA and the UK get a better pick of African immigrants than does continental Europe. In both countries they are among the most educated migrant groups, and this is especially true for those from Anglophone nations. Europe gets the economic refugee type, most arriving as undocumented migrants.

Nigerian immigrants in the USA have median household incomes equivalent to that of the average American, this based on the ACS. This means that large numbers are in the middle class. The issue is that they are much more educated than is the average white American, and in fact even more than Asian Americans. Their household incomes lag behind Indian immigrants, which suggests that they face challenges that Indians dont. So its not just being immigrants.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
There are successful African Americans, and there are unsuccessful Black immigrants. There's a desperation of certain immigrants to push themselves ahead of others or to spit on them. Of course this is an era in which Trump would really like to END immigration from non white countries, and if the Republicans win in 2020 many of these immigrants may end up immigrating again, along with a number of Americans.
You are actually more obsessed with Trump's rantings than are most black immigrants who I know. In fact its your conflation of illegal aliens with legal immigrants at large which makes a perfect pathway for the xenophobes.

If people do not like the laws that govern legal immigration then they need to change it. I can assure you that many immigrants, who aren't from Mexico/Central America, who have complied, at great expense and sacrifice with US immigration laws, aren't happy to see some just enter the country illegally. And then these illegals become exploited because of fear of detection, and then reduce the quality of life for those who they live among. An illegal will work for much less than will a legal immigrant so there are many employers who will favor them as they avoid having to incur the costs of complying with labor laws.

There are LEGAL immigrants and then there are those people who enter illegally. They two aren't the same.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Sounds like a victim mentality to me. If you're poor, get a job. If you're still broke, get two jobs or a higher paying one. If that's not working, move to another state and get a job. If that doesn't work, get two jobs in that state. Still not working? Try investing your money. Nothing? Ok how about working 3 jobs?

Quit blaming people and get on with your life. The people who work the hardest, save their money the hardest, invest in the future the hardest, regardless of color, religion, sexual orientation, etc win. It's that simple. If I save my money and work hard to get ahead and you don't... I win.

Tell that to all of the Trump supporters who are screaming that their lives went to hell because of non white people. White victimhood, based on a nation that whites have the hardest time in the USA, has become veru fashionable. Given the history of the USA, quite ridiculous as well.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Also, however, many highly educated black men prefer to marry white women because "they know how to treat a man"... after all, chances are greater that a white woman grew up in a household headed by her father than the average black woman... and, as such, has more experience in *normal* married husband-wife relations.
Where is the evidence of this? Some ball players? Most educated black men marry educated black women. Most educated black men PREFER educated black women because they make better partners in their need to navigate themselves around white racism than will some clueless white woman who will babble nonsense like "I dont see skin color".

Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Still, stable homes are what is best for children. Children also do best with two married parents, if you believe the research. Fidelity to the marriage covenant is also what is best for married parents.

Research will show you two things.

1. Marriage rates among the white working class is now below 50%. This will suggest that a decent % of white working class kids are now born out of wedlock.

2. Because of the high divorce rates over 50% of American kids are NOT growing up with both biological parents. I will submit to you that kids from a broken home have more psychological issues than one where there were never two parents around.

Quit thinking that a legal arrangement guarantees nirvana when many in fact break this legal marital bond and do so often with anger and irrational behavior.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I previously posted in this thread links to research finding that children raised by married parents are better off for/in life than children raised by a single parent. That's THE research I was referring to if you want to go back and read it.
Yes a kid growing up in a house with two battling parents and domestic abuse is better off than one with a loving single parent.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Overdosing and direct suicide have lowered the life expectancy among white Americans, due to the deteriorating conditions in places like Appalachia and Oklahoma. And no, Trump has made no change in their condition and will not.
And yet people like 2ner devote their entire lives to ranting about these immoral negroes. In fact what befell the black under class is now impacting working class whites. And as we can see the results are the same. When local economies collapse this leads to dysfunctional families and self medication. This was true among poorer blacks in the early 60s and now among poorer whites in 2019.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,043,774 times
Nope nope nope. We are not starting any "reparations" story in the 20th century. Recent black immigrants think they are slick with that. For the record, I don't give a hoot about reparations because that is not how justice will come. America will pay for her dirty deeds going back to the 16th century or earlier because that's how far back this rabbit hole goes. It's deeper than that, but we don't want to confuse the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or