U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Reputation: 9493

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yet Obama's primary identity is black and he completely rejects his white side.
I guess you've never read his books. He talks openly about his white mother and grandparents. I've never once heard him reject them.

He did grow up in non-black Hawaii, and was interested in the black experience in the U.S., but he never rejected or denies or whatever else about having a white mother, etc.

Your narrative sounds like negative political propaganda that you believed.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2019, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,582,433 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where are all these people who dress in pan African outfits? If it's true, then more power to them. It's a free country, and if someone wants to dress in whatever way they can, they can. As for the names people name their children, again it's a FREE nation.

It amazes me the people who claim to love "America" have only hate and completely hate the concept of democracy and freedom. Also learn to get your nose out of other people's business.

Most Africans have plenty of problems of their own, to the point of not really caring about how AAs dress or name themselves.

Re: Obama, he did not completely reject his white side. His white grandmother paid for him to go to Columbia University and to Harvard University, the top colonial/white universities in the country. Racists/Trump supporters like you are simply pathological LIARS.
I have not always agreed with your commentary but spot on bruh.

I have always found it very interesting that non blacks of any persuasion have an issue with Diaspora blacks embracing their heritage; doesnt matter if we are a few generations removed. Italians, Irish, Anglo, etc. all get to love whom they are descended from but Blacks is another issue.

And the incredulous hate that Blacks and others, worldwide can revel in the metaphor which was Black Panther is crazy.......but speaks to the issues at hand in America and other countries.

Not to get too far off topic but I am curently living in Brazil...and Afro Brazilians, Diaspora blacks just like Afro Americans, have REALLY taken pride in their Afro-ness. Bahia is a different animal because its the blackest place on the planet outside of Nigeria, but places like Rio, Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte, Curitiba, etc.....Afros, dashikis, you name it. Afro Brazilian cuisines, like one of my favorite places to go in Rio called Dida Bar. Embracing that heritage. For posters like Tom Lennox 70 to try and marginalize those facts is insane. But I do also understand that part of the problem is continental Africans whom act as though we are not descended from that place as well. And Obama ALWAYS let it be known he was raised by the white side of his family and never disowned that fact. He simply understood the racial dynamics of the US and that he was considered a Black man by the whites living there. I always tell them he is as much white as he is black....he just embraced his blackness more because thats what embraced him outside of family life.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Nope nope nope. We are not starting any "reparations" story in the 20th century. Recent black immigrants think they are slick with that. For the record, I don't give a hoot about reparations because that is not how justice will come. America will pay for her dirty deeds going back to the 16th century or earlier because that's how far back this rabbit hole goes. It's deeper than that, but we don't want to confuse the class.


can you furnish proof that black immigrants want reparations. Why would they when they aren't the descendants of American slavery. Not even those from the Caribbean.


Demands for reparations come from a black American intellectual class.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
First, because they wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the Civil Rights movement. .
1. Most whites could give a fig between the different categories of blacks. You think that the cops cared that Amadou Diallo was an African immigrants when they fired more than 40 bullets into him?


2. Those immigrants who were present in the USA prior to the Civil Rights movement were just as involvement in activities to improve the lot of blacks. You do know that Marcus Garvey is a name much commemorated all over the USA and that he was born in Jamaica. His movement was the first mass based black grass roots movements not led by the light skinned bougie class and funded by white liberals. Malcolm X is another. Constance Baker Motley played a huge legal role with the NAACP.


3. Not all civil rights activity began with the Montgomery bus boycott and in fact NYC was a hot bed of activity in the early 20th C, and many West Indians were very much involved in that.


It says much for a certain type of black American who is so ungrateful as to refuse to credit those West Indians who toiled right next to them to better the lives for blacks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
[quote=Tom Lennox 70;54519078]Yet Obama's primary identity is black and he completely rejects his white side. He described himself as a "son of Africa" [quote]



In fact Obama had less to do with Africa then any recent president aside from Donald Trump. Even "W" Bush did more.


His black identity lies in the fact that for most of his life white America treated him as black. Now why would he call himself biracial when he wasn't any better treated than was someone who is fully black. Look at all the criticism directed towards him, inclusive of your comments. The man went to Ireland and made th joke that maybe his name is O'bama and of course, because he is black you didn't notice that!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,582,433 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
1. Most whites could give a fig between the different categories of blacks. You think that the cops cared that Amadou Diallo was an African immigrants when they fired more than 40 bullets into him?


2. Those immigrants who were present in the USA prior to the Civil Rights movement were just as involvement in activities to improve the lot of blacks. You do know that Marcus Garvey is a name much commemorated all over the USA and that he was born in Jamaica. His movement was the first mass based black grass roots movements not led by the light skinned bougie class and funded by white liberals. Malcolm X is another. Constance Baker Motley played a huge legal role with the NAACP.


3. Not all civil rights activity began with the Montgomery bus boycott and in fact NYC was a hot bed of activity in the early 20th C, and many West Indians were very much involved in that.


It says much for a certain type of black American who is so ungrateful as to refuse to credit those West Indians who toiled right next to them to better the lives for blacks!


I agree. But like to add that it says a lot for the certain West Indians and continental Africans whom hold anymous and such towards black Americans. Its been a long held internal strain comprised of bull****. To your point, the powers that be could care less where you are from, cause black is black to them. We def have to handle the internal issues amongst us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
[/color]

I agree. But like to add that it says a lot for the certain West Indians and continental Africans whom hold anymous and such towards black Americans. Its been a long held internal strain comprised of bull****. To your point, the powers that be could care less where you are from, cause black is black to them. We def have to handle the internal issues amongst us.
I agree that among recent black immigrants there is a lot of ignorance directed towards black Americans. Interesting enough that declines the longer that we live here and learn that the white kick on the black butt doesnt ask for ethnic origin before it lands. All one needs to do is to go on the NY forum and see the ignorance by some whites directed towards Caribbean immigrants, where we are sometimes described as savages.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,582,433 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I agree that among recent black immigrants there is a lot of ignorance directed towards black Americans. Interesting enough that declines the longer that we live here and learn that the white kick on the black butt doesnt ask for ethnic origin before it lands. All one needs to do is to go on the NY forum and see the ignorance by some whites directed towards Caribbean immigrants, where we are sometimes described as savages.
100% agree Caribny....Im also a member of that forum...lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
can you furnish proof that black immigrants want reparations. Why would they when they aren't the descendants of American slavery. Not even those from the Caribbean.


Demands for reparations come from a black American intellectual class.
Slavery was instituted by European colonialism, and what's now called the US was European colonies when Africans were enslaved and brought over.

So perhaps Caribbean nations SHOULD ask for reparations. After all the Caribbean is so poor people are trying to leave en masse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2019, 03:12 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
1. Most whites could give a fig between the different categories of blacks. You think that the cops cared that Amadou Diallo was an African immigrants when they fired more than 40 bullets into him?


2. Those immigrants who were present in the USA prior to the Civil Rights movement were just as involvement in activities to improve the lot of blacks. You do know that Marcus Garvey is a name much commemorated all over the USA and that he was born in Jamaica. His movement was the first mass based black grass roots movements not led by the light skinned bougie class and funded by white liberals. Malcolm X is another. Constance Baker Motley played a huge legal role with the NAACP.


3. Not all civil rights activity began with the Montgomery bus boycott and in fact NYC was a hot bed of activity in the early 20th C, and many West Indians were very much involved in that.


It says much for a certain type of black American who is so ungrateful as to refuse to credit those West Indians who toiled right next to them to better the lives for blacks!
Quite clearly that NYC activism went nowhere in terms of legislative changes.

Obviously the 60s civil rights movement lead to effective changes, and before they could do anything else they were assassinated, imprisoned, or otherwise marginalized.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top