U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,942,608 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I place the blame at the feet of Caucasions. They brought the ships and the guns.

I don't because if the Caucasians didn't arrive the slaves would have been sold to some one else. Indeed even today in Mali and Mauritania slavery exists.

I said TODAY in 2014. And what is sad is that some of these slaves are so brainwashed that if you rescued them they will go right back to their masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 AM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 441,354 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do Africans get along with other blacks like people from the caribbean and Latin America meaning Afro-Latinos?
Afro-latino identity is complicated. I'm not extremely familiar with them but I know that a lot of "black" latinos feel more latino than black. It's their prerogative and I don't personally care.

I'd say that individual africans, caribbeans and AAs can get along fine but that wherever you have actual communities that are different and that live side by side you get conflicts simply because the values, goals, lifestyles, etc are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 441,354 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
They generally do not mix well.

Plenty of working-class AAs with roots in Minneapolis were living there when Somali refugees began coming over. They settled in poor neighborhoods where AAs lived. The clash between them and AAs was inevitable.

Somalis, though, have a very foreign, Islamized culture which comes off as hostile a lot of the time.
I have been to somali forums and I can tell you that a substantial minority of them are actually racist against other black africans. Racist in the sense that they call other black africans monkeys, apes and natural slaves. In fact they're very racist against a lot of other groups and they even detest arabs.

Their racism is unusual for a "black" group in that it's supremacist in nature.
They don't hate their arab minority because the arab minority oppresses them.
The hate their arab minority because the arabs are seen as ugly and weak and they have no love
for the weak.
They hate the other black africans among other things because the black africans let themselves be slaves and they have nothing but contempt for that, and they think they're ugly.

In Somalia itself they have a caste of slaves who were taken from further south on the coast of east-africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,353,700 times
Reputation: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I have been to somali forums and I can tell you that a substantial minority of them are actually racist against other black africans. Racist in the sense that they call other black africans monkeys, apes and natural slaves. In fact they're very racist against a lot of other groups and they even detest arabs.

Their racism is unusual for a "black" group in that it's supremacist in nature.
They don't hate their arab minority because the arab minority oppresses them.
The hate their arab minority because the arabs are seen as ugly and weak and they have no love
for the weak.
They hate the other black africans among other things because the black africans let themselves be slaves and they have nothing but contempt for that, and they think they're ugly.

In Somalia itself they have a caste of slaves who were taken from further south on the coast of east-africa.
Thank you for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
 
56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't because if the Caucasians didn't arrive the slaves would have been sold to some one else. Indeed even today in Mali and Mauritania slavery exists.

I said TODAY in 2014. And what is sad is that some of these slaves are so brainwashed that if you rescued them they will go right back to their masters.
Not only does it exist in Africa, but on other continents in some form, including here in the US. Modern Slavery 101

Anti-Slavery - What is modern slavery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not only does it exist in Africa, but on other continents in some form, including here in the US. Modern Slavery 101

Anti-Slavery - What is modern slavery
It's a known fact that slavery exists in Arab and Muslim societies and it's colorist and racist. A documentary of the situation in North Africa showed this in detail and when they exposed the situation the victims turned around and defended the abusers and masters and slave traders and claimed they are not slaves and that the documentary crew was lying.

Slavery is still going on. In the Middle East, North Africa, and in Muslim/Islamic and Arab and Arabic speaking nations, societies, places, and cultures, they still refer to black people and Afrodescendants as "abd" which is Arabic for "slave".

In fact the Arabs are the culprit of slavery against blacks worldwide the world over. They are the real culprits yet everyone wants to target the Europeans only and Europeans alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I have been to somali forums and I can tell you that a substantial minority of them are actually racist against other black africans. Racist in the sense that they call other black africans monkeys, apes and natural slaves. In fact they're very racist against a lot of other groups and they even detest arabs.

Their racism is unusual for a "black" group in that it's supremacist in nature.
They don't hate their arab minority because the arab minority oppresses them.
The hate their arab minority because the arabs are seen as ugly and weak and they have no love
for the weak.
They hate the other black africans among other things because the black africans let themselves be slaves and they have nothing but contempt for that, and they think they're ugly.

In Somalia itself they have a caste of slaves who were taken from further south on the coast of east-africa.
Somalis, Ethiopians, and Sudanese are often considered as Caucasoids and as Arabs at times even.

There is lots of clashing between them and other so called "black" groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Afro-latino identity is complicated. I'm not extremely familiar with them but I know that a lot of "black" latinos feel more latino than black. It's their prerogative and I don't personally care.

I'd say that individual africans, caribbeans and AAs can get along fine but that wherever you have actual communities that are different and that live side by side you get conflicts simply because the values, goals, lifestyles, etc are different.
No it's only complicated for those that choose to make it complicated. One's personal identity belongs to them and not to anyone else.

In addition many Latinos and NON Latinos alike are ignorant on so called Latino identity and dynamics and complexities of race.

In addition I would argue that the history and existence of Afro Latinos and Arabs are so strikingly similar in so many ways.

The African diaspora is global. Have you ever encountered any Afro Latinos or even Afro Arabs? It all depends on whi you talk to. Each individual is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 441,354 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Somalis, Ethiopians, and Sudanese are often considered as Caucasoids and as Arabs at times even.

There is lots of clashing between them and other so called "black" groups.
In north Sudan there are actual descendants of arab tribes that came out of Arabia after the islamic conquests. Over time, they mixed with the local populations so they're kind of dark but they descent in straight line from actual arabs. You also have the "native" north-sudanese who call themselves arabs, but who are basically the Nubians, islamicized and arabicized culturally. Imho they don't necessarily have
any arab ancestry.

Erythreans, North-Sudanese and Djiboutians seem to have a lot in common.

Ethiopians (Abyssinians) are often christians so they definitely don't see themselves as arab.
A lot of the Ethiopians (the Abyssinians) are indeed part caucasoid and they consider themselves separate from the other black people in Africa. I don't blame them for it and I personally don't care that they don't see themselves as regular black people. i don't think they are either and I'm not *at all* into the busines of forcing people into an identity that's not theirs. A while ago I realized that Abyssinia had had NO impact whatsoever on the rest of black africa.

Somalis have a very strong muslim identity but from what I've seen emphatically do not see themselves as arab. They're the blackest among the people from the horn.
A lot of Somalis remind me of Tutsis and I personally know Tutsis who strongly agree that there is a striking similarity. I say they mostly belong to the black race, from a genetic point of view. As far as their link with West-Africa, which is the part of Africa that the diapora comes from, I'd say that they're probably related to the Fulani but not to the other west-Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 441,354 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
No it's only complicated for those that choose to make it complicated. One's personal identity belongs to them and not to anyone else.

In addition many Latinos and NON Latinos alike are ignorant on so called Latino identity and dynamics and complexities of race.

In addition I would argue that the history and existence of Afro Latinos and Arabs are so strikingly similar in so many ways.

The African diaspora is global. Have you ever encountered any Afro Latinos or even Afro Arabs? It all depends on whi you talk to. Each individual is different.
I pretty much meant that it's a lot less complicated than when dealing with, say, Haitians.
Despite the very real cultural difference, the blackness of (most) Haitians is unambiguous, wouldn't
you say ?

It's more "complicated" with, say, Dominicans because a lot of light skinned dominicans don't relate to blackness at all. Just an observation.

North-sudanese are arguably "black" people but they also, for the most part, don't seem to relate to blackness. It's also true to a certain extent in northern Nigeria, even though most of those guys are black as the night, lol. I was browsing some cultural items from the Hausa/Fulani area and it seemed to me that a good portion of the population there "looks towards" the north-east, towards the middle-east and Arabia.

I'm not criticizing them for this. Their attitude is a product of their history and it must make sense to them. I do find it interesting to observe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top