U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM

179 posts, read 187,954 times

Advertisements

In my experience the two tolerate each other but with massive misunderstandings and over generalizations coming from both sides. This isn't across the board of course, because the two groups will marry and intermingle but I agree with what a few other posters said before me in regards to assimilation calming relations between the two over time. The generation of Africans I know that were born here are much less hostile towards African Americans although they still tend to identify more with their specific culture/country more so than the general African American collective culture. I've seen similar situations with Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans as well, the parents can some time be very racist against blacks but their kids, not so much.

Edit: Basically what I've seen is just a huge amount of potentially offensive ignorance regarding Africa/African Culture on the African American side of this equation and misinformed hostility on the African side.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,868,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah most of the time it's a look especially down here in DC.
Lola love lol

Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,196,618 times
I think dating, marrying, and having children with each other will eventually erase whatever divide there is. There are already many Black American women involved with men directly from Africa, or who were raised in the U.S., born to African parents.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
In their defense not every child in Africa can afford to be educated and those especially in the villages have to work at an early age so education is a luxury.

Hence the reason why a lot of African Parent always stress education on their children.

But also like you said the US is pretty selective when it comes to africans immigrating here versus The UK or France where a lot of immigrant children are indeed involved with crime (but even then, I believe their crime rates not as high compared to the U.S.).

Of course not all African first gen's are Amazing scholars and model citizens in America. I know/knew a few myself were involved in some shady activities themselves. Unfortunately many do get caught up wth crime esp if the neighborhood is bad. Which explains why a lot of African Parents want their kids to shy away from African Americans the other black kids. They have good intentions but it just comes off as ignorant.

What I am telling you is that African migrants to the USA are a select group, coming mainly from the middle class. Many arrive with college degrees, or to attend college in the USA. Definitely not typical of Africa.

So one cannot look at African immigrants to the USA and then extrapolate about Africans. If one wishes to compare African immigrants to black Americans then compare apples with apples and not with oranges.

These comparison don't help either group, and indeed hurt Africans who experience real problems settling into the USA, which are often glossed over by the notion that they are models when compared to ghetto dwelling black Americans. When ghetto dwellers from Nairobi and Lagos arrive in huge numbers and succeed similarly in colleges then we can open the champagne bottle.

BTW I don't think that middle class black Americans parents want their kids hanging out with kids from dysfunctional homes either.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:30 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,815,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Very too. Too much generalization does not paint the accuracy of individual cases. Well said.
Hmm, audacious and inaccurate is how I would describe it. That's usually the case, though, when you have non-blacks who believe they know us better than we know ourselves and remain oblivious to the fact that they have no idea what in the hell they're talking about.

What jtur88 has overlooked is the simple fact that her family escaped the misery in Russia. Black Americans, on the other hand, remain in the nation where they were oppressed and continue to be marginalized.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 AM

644 posts, read 671,312 times
An African told me that African Americans were not his brothers or sisters. I agreed with him because he had family values , which African Americans lack. Fathers day is a lonely and embarrassing time for black kids in America. In philosophy, they say for a man to make it in this world, he has to do it without a father. I remember my own laughters saying that with fathers today, who needs enemies.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
An African told me that African Americans were not his brothers or sisters. I agreed with him because he had family values , which African Americans lack. Fathers day is a lonely and embarrassing time for black kids in America. In philosophy, they say for a man to make it in this world, he has to do it without a father. I remember my own laughters saying that with fathers today, who needs enemies.

What a silly post. Fathers day is a beautiful day for Black kids in America. Millions of Black kids in America actually have their Fathers involved in their lives. Lol at "An African told me". Wow. Could you be more lame than this? I don't think you actually know even one Black person from Africa, or from the U.S. Try going to a predominately African American church. Fathers with their wives and children are all over the United States. Also, there are plentry of Africans who worship with African Americans. Again, all over the United States. Stop the lies. It makes you seem quite uneducated, and lacking in values yourself.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:15 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,150,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I think dating, marrying, and having children with each other will eventually erase whatever divide there is. There are already many Black American women involved with men directly from Africa, or who were raised in the U.S., born to African parents.

The black women who marry Africans are usually overweight and desperate. No black man wants to deal with their trainwreck ways, so thy go for Africans. Africans seem to like hefty women.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post

A White Russian definitely doesn't think that a white American is his brother, so why should it shock you that the African doesn't see the AA as his either?

In the USA 50% of all kids do not live with two biological parents. Partially because of the high divorce rate. And also because out of wedlock births are growing in other groups (more than 50% among Hispanics, and now 30% among non Hispanic whites). Yet people will have us think that its only among blacks this is an issue.

I can well ask is it good "family values" for the parents of young kids to divorce, unless their is some physical or psychological abuse involved? From what I see kids from divorced families are often more damaged than kids who never had a bonding with their father.

Now as to good family values in Africa. There has been a move in several nations to introduce laws to prevent domestic abuse. In most instances these were rejected because the notion is that men have a right to beat their women to guarantee respect. So lets chat about the trauma of kids seeing their mother beaten up, and having no legal redress.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The black women who marry Africans are usually overweight and desperate. No black man wants to deal with their trainwreck ways, so thy go for Africans. Africans seem to like hefty women.

I won't stoop to your level of degradation. I will just say be well. Your problem with African American women is between you and the God you serve. Negative energy is not healthy. You may want to pray to be released from that. Black women who marry Africans are usually women who absolutely love, adore, and respect African men and get the same love, adoration, and respect in return. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or