U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 12:14 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,947,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree with you that history means nothing. I can't really speak about the lasting impacts of colonialism in Africa, but de jure and de facto segregationist practices in the U.S. still have very impactful and lingering effects from everything to housing, education, employment, etc. It goes well beyond only having lived within that particular era of history. Unfortunately, it is the negative impacts of that legacy, and some ill-fated attempts at rectification, that are the source of many ills that plague African American communities and thus skews the perception that African immigrants--and others--have about African Americans overall.

I really think that there is more to being "black" than our respective white oppressions. In addition there is a large and vibrant AA middle class, who maybe have less in common with an impoverished black American than they do with an African who is a fellow MBA student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
But the reasoning of tension between the two are very simple. Africans come to work and that's about it. America is where African Americans were raised and still till this day feel the effects of institutional racism. Africans and West Indian people didn't come to America to complain about such things, even though it actually affects them also. They all come here for one thing only that's opportunity, hence the reason why you see a lot of west indian women walking white babies around Manhattan, and Brooklyn. You cant catch an AA doing that type of job, but as I said it all comes down to the viewpoints of each group.

That about puts it in a nutshell. I have heard AAs complain that these West Indian women "are carrying black women back to the "mammy" era". When I suggest that these women are usually undocumented, so have few alternative avenues of employment I still get push back.

Now I understand where these sentiments come from, given the degradation of the black female in this country, but I also think that AAs need to understand that some people are here to work, and don't always have a choice in what they do. Very few of them will not immediately switch to another occupation the minute that they can.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Immigrants come for economic opportunity and don't have time to get caught up in internal American racial issues ..

People of black immigrant origin are quite active in the "Black Lives Matter". They also have had experience with racist policing.

In fact some of the most notorious incidences of police abuse in NYC have impacted black immigrants. Diallo, Bongo, Sean Belle (wife is of Haitian origin), Ramarley Graham, Akai Gurley, Louima. One of the Miami riots started when the cops shot some one from the Virgin Islands.

In addition, for those who remember, some of the bias attacks of the late 80s/early 90s did impact black immigrants. A Grenadian family fire bombed in Canarsie. A Guyanese family driven out of Flatlands by their white (and Hispanic) neighbors. The murder of a Trinidadian in Queens, and Yusuff Hawkins was with 2 West Indian friends when he was killed in Brooklyn.

So it isn't true to imply that racial issues don't concern black immigrants. What is true is that they deal with racism as it currently is, and not how it was 60 years ago.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,173,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Africans are foreigners for most African-Americans.

What you have to keep in mind is that there is a larger cultural distance between Black-Americans and Africans in comparison to Caribbean blacks like those in Haiti and Cuba. The type of slavery we had in the U.S distance us more from Africa so black-Americans never developed a culture that included African drums and other African customs that could help black-Americans and Africans to relate to each other. Blacks in Haiti and Cuba still have direct African customs that could be used to help them to interact with Africans better.
I've been in work settings where you have Africans, Black Americans, and Afro Caribbeans side by side. No, the Nigerians and Jamaicans didn't get along better with each other than they did with us Americans. And, no, I didn't have more in common with all of the Americans than I did with any of the Africans.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 09-05-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 AM

15,554 posts, read 17,783,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Black people have that culture with everyone that is their skin color. That's why its ignorant
Try rewording your original sentence then put it through Google Translate again.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,221,423 times
Dated a gentleman from another country who told me the first thing he noticed when entering the United states was how different our blacks were. I asked him in what way. He told me the arrogance and overall attitude here was horrible. The blacks world wide he said have class so to speak, try to use proper language and so you can understand them,not rude. This was back in the 80s and realize world wide all people have changed especially here. Now our culture idolize the low life of the entertainment industry. Where you have basically ex criminal background with no education so to speak setting examples to the young of that you dont need an education to make money and you can do what you want when you want to. Rest of the world seems to be just fighting for their lives. Here we fight and kill one another for no good reason. The future doesnt look good for mankind the way things are going.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:25 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,173,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Dated a gentleman from another country who told me the first thing he noticed when entering the United states was how different our blacks were. I asked him in what way. He told me the arrogance and overall attitude here was horrible. The blacks world wide he said have class so to speak, try to use proper language and so you can understand them,not rude. This was back in the 80s and realize world wide all people have changed especially here. Now our culture idolize the low life of the entertainment industry. Where you have basically ex criminal background with no education so to speak setting examples to the young of that you dont need an education to make money and you can do what you want when you want to. Rest of the world seems to be just fighting for their lives. Here we fight and kill one another for no good reason. The future doesnt look good for mankind the way things are going.
Black Americans have played the hand they were dealt, just as every other black person in the world. Your gentleman friend should enlighten himself.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Black Americans have played the hand they were dealt, just as every other black person in the world. Your gentleman friend should enlighten himself.

It is sad that so many of us black immigrants, ESPECIALLY Africans, play into the divide and rule games played by some whites.

Some black Americans are ignorant and rude, just as are some West Indians, and some Africans. But there exists a group of highly successful black Americans as well, but some fall for the "you're better" trick that some whites use to undermine us.

At the most elite levels of black USA, one hardly finds black immigrants. These blacks know the system, and are networked within the system, something which is very difficult for a black immigrant to accomplish.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,456,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Obama has been married to a woman with deep African American roots, has represented AAs in Illinois state assembly, and has had various levels of engagement with them.

I will submit to you that it is AFRICANS who he has nothing in common with. He is part of a segment of the AA community, which is hardly a monolithic group.
In Obama's case I agree, he had a pretty nonexistent relationship with his dad. Seeing him once at age 10. Culture is more than DNA.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:25 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,456,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
This is one huge difference I see between African-Americans and frankly just about any other group. They uplift the values of the underclass as the ideal or at worst worthy of protection. You simply don't see that anywhere in the world where the underclass dictates cultural norms.

It's to the point that middle class black kids will join gangs and brush off school in order to be more "authentically black".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or