U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 AM

3,508 posts, read 1,707,992 times

Advertisements

obviously I am not grouping all AA's into that group, I said AA pop culture. It is obvious that a good majority of blacks do not want their children to be gangsta rap gods or whatever. Although I do like rap, most of the rap I listen to isn't the gangster glorifying raps but the partying and having fun (American and Nigerian rappers)/talking about economic problem rappers (French rappers and American rappers). I live in an area that is nearly 20% Black and at least 95% of them are African American. I know that most middle class blacks like everyone else that is middle class don't glorify gangster culture. But the overwhelming black pop culture which is controlled by the Black celebrities besides Morgan Freeman always talking about getting money through illegal behavior, shooting people and getting high/drunk constantly. No other culture besides Hispanic American culture and British Nigerian/Black rap culture which both came from Black American culture emphasizes violence that much. Sorry if I sounded like I was grouping all AA's together but some of these rappers manage to make MLK look gangster by their lyrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,448,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Exhibit ONE of the black immigrant who plays into divide and rule. The AAs who I know DO NOT glorify ghetto culture, and I suspect you know this, but feel the need to curry favor with whites, who you think might more likely accept you if you peddle this nonsense.

The AA parents of the middle class kids who join gangs will be as upset as the parents of ANY middle class household. I just cannot imagine the Huxtable parents being happy if Theo came in with pants of his buttocks, flashing gang signs and not wanting to study. I do recall the exact OPPOSITE as a matter of fact. Go into the home of many AAs, and the walls will be packed with all sorts of graduation pictures, and pics of some one in the military.
LOL I'm seeking the approval of whites, that I don't know on an anonymous message board. Listen to how silly you sound.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,448,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
obviously I am not grouping all AA's into that group, I said AA pop culture. It is obvious that a good majority of blacks do not want their children to be gangsta rap gods or whatever. Although I do like rap, most of the rap I listen to isn't the gangster glorifying raps but the partying and having fun (American and Nigerian rappers)/talking about economic problem rappers (French rappers and American rappers). I live in an area that is nearly 20% Black and at least 95% of them are African American. I know that most middle class blacks like everyone else that is middle class don't glorify gangster culture. But the overwhelming black pop culture which is controlled by the Black celebrities besides Morgan Freeman always talking about getting money through illegal behavior, shooting people and getting high/drunk constantly. No other culture besides Hispanic American culture and British Nigerian/Black rap culture which both came from Black American culture emphasizes violence that much. Sorry if I sounded like I was grouping all AA's together but some of these rappers manage to make MLK look gangster by their lyrics.
Don't mind her there is ample evidence and literature about how black American middle class kids adopt the ethos of the ghetto as to not appear white.

Facing Identity Conflicts, Black Students Fall Behind : NPR

Quote:
But middle-class black children know, and are often related to, poor black children. And, of course, they are influenced by media images that glorify the rough-and-tumble street. This can cause a lot of confusion for children, especially as they become teenagers.

"I used to be the geek," says student Keith Cordy. "Used to be the geek in the class, always raising my hand like teacher's pet."

Keith was 14 and flunking ninth grade last year. But he had skipped first grade at the recommendation of his teacher.

"During fifth grade, I just felt like I didn't have any friends, so I tried to fit in," Keith says. "I started doing less work always with my friends, always in the back, playing around and stuff like that."

Keith's mom, Angela Gunnings, and his stepdad, Michael Elder, moved from Brooklyn, N.Y., to New Jersey partly because they wanted him in a suburban school. But his grades continued to plummet.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 PM

691 posts, read 920,718 times
As an AA I do think hip-hop and street have taken over AA pop culture, we were complaining about how bad the music is
today...Those of us who like House Music or British Northern Soul are ignored...there are some stations that play quality
AA music from the 60s and 70s...

Diana Ross still performs and she just finished a spectacular show which had a great write up in the local media...I think this
is a general American problem of pop culture going to the garbage...I think there is a generation of people who don't know
what good music is: Motown, TSOP etc.

I say follow the money, if junk sells then junk is produced..and don't get me started on these styles, over sized people in
over sized clothes, tattoos etc.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,942,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Better believe. Blacks do not control what gets promoted and what doesn't. Gangsta rap was pushed because white suburban kids became the market, and in fact accounted for over 70% of the sales. This isn't to say that there aren't blacks who participate and push it, but they are just running to cash in.

Rap was a good deal more diverse in scope before the early 90s when white kids became interested in it. The thug replaced cops and robbers in the fantasy world of the US adolescent....that much better to shock their parents, who pulled the same trick by mimicking the moves of black performers in the late 50s.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL I'm seeking the approval of whites, that I don't know on an anonymous message board. Listen to how silly you sound.

Of course you are because you would otherwise know that there isn't a monolithic AA culture and that middle class AAs no more approve of ghetto behavior than you do.

In fact if you tell an inner city person that they are acting "ghetto" they will NOT be too happy with you.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
As an AA I do think hip-hop and street have taken over AA pop culture, we were complaining about how bad the music is
todayetc.

I was talking to my twenty something niece and nephew about how bad contemporary music is. To my shock and surprise they agreed with me.

Music is no longer about quality. Its about quick sales, with the marketing guys taking full control. In fact we can say the same about other areas of the media as well.

It isn't just AA pop culture. Its pop culture in general.

Also younger people do know good music of earlier eras, from the amount of sampling which goes on.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't mind her there is ample evidence and literature about how black American middle class kids adopt the ethos of the ghetto as to not appear white.

Facing Identity Conflicts, Black Students Fall Behind : NPR

What is interesting is that your post indicates that BLACK PARENTS DO NOT want their kids not to adopt this ghetto culture.

How about the fact that the media promotes this aspect of AA culture as representing the entirety of what AA culture is, stupid kids swallow it, despite what their AFRICAN AMERICAN parents do to protect them from it.

Looks like the issue is more complex, and I know for a fact that BLACK IMMIGRANT parents have the SAME issues with their US born kids.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM

41 posts, read 23,620 times
Black Americans are still effected by slavery and segregation and white Americans still benefit from the fortunes of their forefathers from the captivity of negroes. I see alot of misguided comments an its obvious these people don't understand the oppression of blacks in America! This is the white mans heaven where everything is ran and under the supervision of him, just look around and you can see the white supremacy around this world and if you cant your extremely delusional. I'm no afrocentric guy I'm just a realist that lives in a eurocentric world. There will still be racism in this nation even without captivity because there is a long lasting grudge that whites have against blacks and it been like that since the beginning of times. It's bigger than institutional racism, its a rivalry that the high powers can't let go of.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:13 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,104,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Israelite View Post
Black Americans are still effected by slavery and segregation and white Americans still benefit from the fortunes of their forefathers from the captivity of negroes. I see alot of misguided comments an its obvious these people don't understand the oppression of blacks in America! This is the white mans heaven where everything is ran and under the supervision of him, just look around and you can see the white supremacy around this world and if you cant your extremely delusional. I'm no afrocentric guy I'm just a realist that lives in a eurocentric world. There will still be racism in this nation even without captivity because there is a long lasting grudge that whites have against blacks and it been like that since the beginning of times. It's bigger than institutional racism, its a rivalry that the high powers can't let go of.
Ya, mon! Babylon make the rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or