U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM
 
1,247 posts, read 1,097,385 times
Reputation: 631

Advertisements

What you see the prime rib of African nations. They come here to invest money and time and then go back and start businesses. People do that in China. That Restaurant is funding another family elsewhere in another nation. I went to college and ran into two African people.

1. A guy talked about problems with Sugars in American drinks.

2. A gal said if she had a million dollars she return home and never look back

Very interesting people. African people are pretty much like European people but more able to take chances. Again in college we would give each other lifts in our cars. African guy was ready to give me a lift. Good people, good people in most cases.

However be aware, many African people escape there own nation for there own purpose. They do not want money but other rights that are in America, like non-heterosexuals, feminism, and anything else among those tables. Some train in policing to sell out there own kind. Then of course there is the variety among American women.

American is known for the clean friendly mindset we all have as youths. Most Africans carry that mindset as well.

Think of it like this. If we could deport all the Rap ( hip-hop )-happy criminals in jail and replace them African-African people. The nation would look cleaner but our culture would be damaged. To the 77% of white people in America, they do not care in general and that is what is occurring.

In my area we have alienated Haitian people. Some are raised as American blacks but they still hold there nations value high above there heads. In my opinion an well trained African-African person would have a far easier time in the western world if they moved to Haiti and attempted to merge with the culture group there. Why I say this is because Haiti itself carries African-African values that is lost to the West Indies, Caribbeans and Americas.

Even till this day there alienated fathers ( like my fathers generation ) have the American values but the sons hold the street and low-live values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM
 
16 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 39
I have many friends from the Caribbean, Africa, and America. There is lots of intermarrying between these groups.


Yes, African Americans may face a different dynamic being displaced and disenfranchised in a majority white society. I know many Caribbean people who look to Africa- mainly Ethiopia, in a romantic way because they too have lost their identities due to slavery. At least the are not minorities in their current lands and do not have to deal with racism on a daily basis. They come here to work. Blacks however, have been fighting this equality fight in America for centuries and the successes have benefited all minorities in the US, but they are rarley credited.


Just so you know, there are millions of American Blacks who are educated, do not promote violence, and value family. The media only shows you the news worthy images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM
 
6,332 posts, read 3,588,176 times
Reputation: 22162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeHarmony View Post


Blacks however, have been fighting this equality fight in America for centuries and the successes have benefited all minorities in the US, but they are rarley credited.
What? We have a whole month when we educate about and celebrate Civil Rights and it's centered around the birthday of Martin Luther King.


That is an incredible acknowledgement. We don't even give that much attention to religious holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 03:36 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What? We have a whole month when we educate about and celebrate Civil Rights and it's centered around the birthday of Martin Luther King.


That is an incredible acknowledgement. We don't even give that much attention to religious holidays.

You know that's not true

I think what the posters is try to say when a lot of other minorities groups and people of color come to America, Or even before they come have negative stereotypes of black Americans and don't understand how their be poverty in the US.

And they don't know or realize how black Americans have reshape America, and open doors other minorities group benefit from.

Back during Jim crow era there were actually slums in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 04:48 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is one huge difference I see between African-Americans and frankly just about any other group. They uplift the values of the underclass as the ideal or at worst worthy of protection. You simply don't see that anywhere in the world where the underclass dictates cultural norms.

It's to the point that middle class black kids will join gangs and brush off school in order to be more "authentically black".
Besides this mostly untrue, and rare actions

I'm going to respond to this ignorance below

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't mind her there is ample evidence and literature about how black American middle class kids adopt the ethos of the ghetto as to not appear white.

Facing Identity Conflicts, Black Students Fall Behind : NPR
The problem with people arguing your position is ignorance of generalization, There so much generalize over generalizing over generalize to create this statement.

  • What is consider black or African American culture.....
  • What is Hip hop,.....
  • What is ghetto....

They are not the same thing...

What consider black to Americans or AA is usually something cultural they can relate with their family, Soul food, heck the music they would play at family reunion and etc. A lot of older generations of blacks are more into Soul, funk, Jazz and Blues. Their African American Vernacular English, and dancing and etc. Rituals like jumping broom at weddings, names, tracing your roots, Tradition of the Black church. and etc

What is Hip hop is apart of American pop culture at large. The art of rapping, fashion and etc.

ghetto is the means to dealing poverty, Ghetto is stuff sugar water, mayonnaise sandwich and etc.

I think it's bizarre when someone non blacks try to tell someone black what is black and what is acting white. And then diagnose acting white as acting smart. Which is like racism to tickle their own funny bone. This stems from the start of not knowing the difference between what AA might find ethnic culture from what is consider hip hop even of that what is consider ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Dated a gentleman from another country who told me the first thing he noticed when entering the United states was how different our blacks were. I asked him in what way. He told me the arrogance and overall attitude here was horrible. The blacks world wide he said have class so to speak, try to use proper language and so you can understand them,not rude. This was back in the 80s and realize world wide all people have changed especially here. Now our culture idolize the low life of the entertainment industry. Where you have basically ex criminal background with no education so to speak setting examples to the young of that you dont need an education to make money and you can do what you want when you want to. Rest of the world seems to be just fighting for their lives. Here we fight and kill one another for no good reason. The future doesnt look good for mankind the way things are going.
Really? Africans and The African diaspora often speak in creole and Pidgin dialects. pon de replay?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEauWw9ZGrA

Africa
West African Pidgin English

Nigerian Pidgin

Cameroonian Pidgin English

Ghanaian Pidgin English
etc


West indies
Jamaican Patois

Bahamian Creole

Belizean Creole

Turks and Caicos Creole

Virgin Islands Creole

Guyanese Creole

Trinidadian Creole
etc

Black Americans
African American Vernacular English

Gullah language

The relationship between Black Americans and Africans are complicated

- Africans often know little about Black American history jim crow slavery and etc. If some one comes to the US with out understanding the full context of AA history it could look bizarre. Like there was a group people struggling for no reason and just had easy. And misrepresenting by the media that they would think current pop culture as black America culture and not black American history and etc.

- Black American often know very little about there roots or even colonization later. If some one doesn't know how dehumanize people where treated during colonization. That colonial nations where more into exploiting Africa resources than developing Africa, and that empires and tribes were divide and house together base on nothing which lead ethnic conflict later.........

Basically Africans often believe white supremacy ideas on blacks Americans, and black Americans often believe in white supremacy ideas on Africans. because there is bad communications between the two.

If one had bad experience with the other it could worsen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 PM
 
2,347 posts, read 953,685 times
Reputation: 1790
I call them "ethnic black people".

And no, we don't have anything in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,785,378 times
Reputation: 8809
Thank you chiatldal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeHarmony View Post
I know many Caribbean people who look to Africa- mainly Ethiopia, in a romantic way because they too have lost their identities due to slavery. ..


Not sure who these Caribbean people are. Only Rastafarians see anything positive about Ethiopia. Most others see it as a poverty stricken famine ridden country based on the TV images. We only hear of that nation when famine strikes. Starving babies too sick to even swat the flies feasting on their faces.

I also don't know which Caribbean people feel "lost". Most have very strong national identities as the waving of their national flags at every event shows.

To the extent that Caribbean people identify with a specific African nation it will be Ghana. Many of those who led slave rebellions were of Akan stock and there are many cultural overlaps between Ghanaian culture and that of the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
.and replace them African-African people. The nation would look cleaner ..


Hmmm. Lagos. Nairobi. Jo'burg! I don't think so.

The Africans who come to the USA, either as students or as immigrants, are the most educated of that continent so a comparison between them and other black groups living in the USA makes no sense.

In fact in Paris there is the totally opposite impression with the African immigrants being maligned and the African American professionals and artists thought well of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top