U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,258,849 times
Reputation: 5879

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In Ghana they call black Americans the same word that they use for white Americans, and in fact laugh at Transatlantic blacks who think that they are "returning home". In fact a black American got into an argument with a Ghanaian taxi driver when he told her that she was lucky that her ancestors were dragged off as slaves, because now she lives in the USA. He having to figure out how to get a visa to get there, and as a taxi driver the prospects are remote.

AAs are indeed welcomed, if they arrive with resources, skills, connections and a pragmatic attitude. Skin color conversations bore, as if one is from a country where every one is black, yet serious divisions exist the notion of an automatic collaboration based on skin color will be seen as being bizarre.

It is perfectly understandable that a North American or European black will bond around race as they are minority groups which face exclusion from economic opportunity. But in Senegal they don't understand that. They just know that they don't trust those "pesky" Mauritanians, who most Americans will consider to be black, even if light skinned.

So yes an African might sooner bond with a black American than a white one, but if the black American only has "brother talk" they soon lose interest.

That is discussed in this series.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VDLPkq0vE


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDMxzabRSo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Camano Island, WA
229 posts, read 341,901 times
Reputation: 281
Lets not forget that during the civil war and the post-bellum period, many white abolitionists provided funds to send the former slaves to Liberia and ditto for Senegal for the British. The AAs who moved to Liberia became the political elite and were in control for over 100 years. The native africans certainly saw them as Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenSDL View Post
.That hood has nothing good to eat, beauty shop, chinese food, bodega, dominos, 99cent store. smh its 2017,..
Middle class people, regardless of race, want a certain quality of life. In SE Queens they go shop in Long Island and nothing is going to stop them from doing that. So Joe Smith can open up his little store on Merrick, but if Costco has it cheaper, or offers more variety in Long Island that is where they will go. And Joe Smith cannot compete with Costco.


SE Queens used to have decent Caribbean restaurants (sit down places, not just the take outs). If these no longer exist then ask yourself why. It certainly isn't that they never existed.

A black retail business cannot compete in NYC, and blacks silly enough to try will not last long.

Please don't suggest that there is a shortage of black owned restaurants in NYC as I will know that you clearly have an agenda, or are quite ignorant.

100 Black-Owned Restaurants and Bars in New York City and Brooklyn - I Don't Do Clubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Lets not forget that during the civil war and the post-bellum period, many white abolitionists provided funds to send the former slaves to Liberia and ditto for Senegal for the British. The AAs who moved to Liberia became the political elite and were in control for over 100 years. The native africans certainly saw them as Americans.
And to prove a point the Americo Liberians became an elite just as racist towards the Africans as the European colonial elites, and were quite despised by the indigenous populations. Helene Cooper of the NYT wrote an auto bio which addresses this. I went to Liberia before the first revolt and I was appalled at how the Americo Liberians behaved and how excluded the indigenous people were. It was quite colonial, so the violence which came a mere few months after I left was no shock to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:42 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again there both ignorance coming African Americans and Africans

.
I have been told by many EDUCATED Africans that some of the most disrespectful treatment that they have received came from middle class AAs.


Not every middle class AA is an Afrocentric interested in Africa. And in fact even among those who are there is a greater interest in South Africa, because its history more closely approximates that of the USA in terms of its virulent legally sanctioned racism.

If AAs were really connected to Africa their interest would focus more on Congo/Angola, the Senegambia/Guinea, and the SE Nigeria/Cameroon regions where most of their ancestors were enslaved. Outside of the Afrocentric minority few care of these regions or see any relevance.

And I have also heard the reverse from Africans, repeating the same stereotypes of black Americans that non blacks make. And also ridiculing the term "African American" wondering what is "African" about them. In fact there was a viral thread among some Africans accusing Beyoncé engaged in cultural appropriation merely because she used some African symbolism. To them she isn't African, nor does she understand what black Africa is about so had no business dabbling in what she doesn't know.

So this isn't a minority view. There are indeed major tensions between blacks descended from the Transatlantic slave trade and those from Africa itself. We really don't understand each other, and face it Transatlantic blacks see the world in a westernized prism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:47 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That is discussed in this series.

]
I went to Gambia just after Roots. The locals told us that they knew we weren't black Americans. When we queried why, they laughed and said that they hadn't seen us kiss the ground and to acclaim to be back in the homeland. They then boasted about fake tours to villages upriver where part of the tour was for the chief of the village to welcome the black Americans "home". It was a huge scam.

People just need to understand that centuries have past and the trauma that was the Transatlantic slave trade has removed the ability of those descended from it to really be "African".

I really don't see too many Afrocentric blacks who are fluent in any African language, and even if they were interested the question would then be which of the myriad of African languages should they learn.

So we communicate with Africans using one of several European languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 AM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,428,692 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
And I'm going repost this here, because yall reposting same videos over and over

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again there both ignorance coming African Americans and Africans

The most hostile towards Africans comes from the lower class African Americans what they know about Africa is Tarzan.... so say they derogatory terms like African blank stretcher and etc ignorant hateful stuff. So they stay distant from Black Americans cause they this this what's doing to happen.

With Africans it's the same thing they don't know much about the history of slavery in the Americas, the jim crow era, and how blacks were treated as second class citizens until a few decades ago. They ignorantly believe Black Americans had a silver spoon in their mouths. So the Africans who call Blacks Americans "returning home" white people and laugh at them and etc is an example of ignorance.


Ignorance on both side leads each side to say something a white racist would to that group

Thinking Africa has no history, nothing sophisticated, nothing going for them self, savages..... this is stuff you aspect a white supremacy to think not another black group

Thinking black Americans are lazy, never accomplish anything, criminals...... this stuff again you aspect a white supremacy to think not another black group

Basically what happen is blacks overcame the slave or colonial minset to towards them own group. But kept the ignorance that came racism towards the other.

For dozen time it's not skin color it's ancestry, If Black Americans were identifying with skin color they would be identifying with People native to the south pacific, Aboriginal, Papuans and etc as well as some Indians have Dark skin. That's not what happening Black Americans are identifying with West and central Africa because that were there ancestors came from, they want to know about tribes and etc. Africa was colonized by European making Africa just as conscious of race as black Americans. They knew the natives were black and colonizers where white. If some in Africa identify with their ethnic group it's the same thing as saying black cause that's what black means.

Otherwise the Africans who are derogatory towards blacks Americans going to Africa are just as ignorant as the black Americans who are derogatory towards Africans when they come to America. The more educated Africans would understand and be more welcoming to Blacks Americans. The same with Africans coming to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,428,692 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I went to Gambia just after Roots. The locals told us that they knew we weren't black Americans. When we queried why, they laughed and said that they hadn't seen us kiss the ground and to acclaim to be back in the homeland. They then boasted about fake tours to villages upriver where part of the tour was for the chief of the village to welcome the black Americans "home". It was a huge scam.

People just need to understand that centuries have past and the trauma that was the Transatlantic slave trade has removed the ability of those descended from it to really be "African".

I really don't see too many Afrocentric blacks who are fluent in any African language, and even if they were interested the question would then be which of the myriad of African languages should they learn.

So we communicate with Africans using one of several European languages.
Again

Africans that mark African Americans going back to Africa is in the kind the same ignorance why African Americans who mark and make fun Africans coming to the the US. It's 2 side of the same coin of ignorance.

Chances are the black Americans that are visiting Africa, are way more educated than Africans mocking them for visiting.

Similar to how the black Americans that mock Africans coming to the US calling them derogatory names etc. The African person likely have a more open of world views.

Africans who are more educated will have a better understanding of African American wanting to learn about their ancestry. And Blacks Americans who are more educated are more welcoming to Africans to coming to the US.

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-30-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 AM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,428,692 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I have been told by many EDUCATED Africans that some of the most disrespectful treatment that they have received came from middle class AAs.

Not every middle class AA is an Afrocentric interested in Africa. And in fact even among those who are there is a greater interest in South Africa, because its history more closely approximates that of the USA in terms of its virulent legally sanctioned racism.

If AAs were really connected to Africa their interest would focus more on Congo/Angola, the Senegambia/Guinea, and the SE Nigeria/Cameroon regions where most of their ancestors were enslaved. Outside of the Afrocentric minority few care of these regions or see any relevance.

And I have also heard the reverse from Africans, repeating the same stereotypes of black Americans that non blacks make. And also ridiculing the term "African American" wondering what is "African" about them. In fact there was a viral thread among some Africans accusing Beyoncé engaged in cultural appropriation merely because she used some African symbolism. To them she isn't African, nor does she understand what black Africa is about so had no business dabbling in what she doesn't know.

So this isn't a minority view. There are indeed major tensions between blacks descended from the Transatlantic slave trade and those from Africa itself. We really don't understand each other, and face it Transatlantic blacks see the world in a westernized prism.
let me try this again, cause that not remotely what I said

Educated Africans treat African Americans better

Educated African Americans treat African better

ignorant Africans treat African Americans terrible

ignorant African Americans treat African terrible


I did not say anything about "middle class" African Americans, I said Educated. An middle class African American can be ignorant or Educated, I did not mention anything about class in the post you quoted.


And your post is a contribution of itself that makes my point further. You essentially promoting African American and Africans to stay ignorant of each other keep the tension going.

The African Americans who are interested in learning about Africa aren't the ones who treat Africans bad, calling them derogatory terms those are the ones who are poorly educated and have a closed world viewed.

So whether you A black American or Black African you should not be phase by ignorance on the others sided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 11:27 AM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,428,692 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Lets not forget that during the civil war and the post-bellum period, many white abolitionists provided funds to send the former slaves to Liberia and ditto for Senegal for the British. The AAs who moved to Liberia became the political elite and were in control for over 100 years. The native africans certainly saw them as Americans.
So you comparing free educated ex slaves going to Africa.

To modern educated blacks going to Africa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top