U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 PM

691 posts, read 920,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Outside of the USA it is always amazing how fast white Americans run to black Americans when they are the only Americans around.

Not to say that AAs and whites are the same, because clearly they aren't. AAs have a distinct range of styles and characteristics that mark them as an ethno-racial group. But they are cut out of that American tapestry and have contributed in a HUGE way to determining what being American is.

Billy Bob can have a temper tantrum but at the end of the day just as blues and country are related so too are the blacks and whites of the South. And many will claim, and with great justification too, that the South is the USA's cultural heartland. That is where the various groups first became "American".

The cities of the northeast still remain connected to an immigrant origin, and ethnicity becomes very important. Ditto for the Midwest, though to a lesser degree.
That happened to me in the Bahamas, I went alone and was on a chartered plane and some frat boys
and some girls were from West Virginia, in the new social context all of a sudden we were all AMERICANS.

I knew at home we both would not be seeking each other for friends..So these white "bros" were my new
"buddies" So I am with this group, so one night we all went out and went to a bar, so a Bahamian guy was flirting with the girls, people drinking (except me). I was NOT about to get drunk in a foreign country less
alone at home.

So at 2:00am. --we were walking back to the hotel, the guy in the bar pulls up with a buddy of his in a
sports car telling the girls to get in they will give them a ride. Ok so we are walking but they want to give
the girls a ride.

We met these girls on the trip also, and they were about ready to get in...

So me and the "bros" are walking behind when one guy says to me "Hey! We gotta protect the women."

I said," WE?...That's YOUR friend!" Good Night, I am going to bed. BYE BYE BABY, BABY, BYE BYE. I felt
the "Ugly American" was going to jump out with them and I was not going to be a part of it.

Conversely, the Bahamians went out of their way to be cool to me. As I mentioned, I went down to
breakfast and the waiters were coming around, there was an old British couple, they said very formally
"Coffee or Tea Sir? with a slight bow. They got to my table, they both pulled out chairs and sat down and
said "Hey Man, what state are you from?" we sat there and ran our mouths for 20 minutes.

We had to dress up for dinner, so I put on my dress pants and shoes and bush jacket had no problem
gaining admittance. One of the "bros" came down in cut-offs and tank tops when the sign clearly said
dress respectable for evening dinner. He got sent back up stairs and could not understand why.

Some Bahamians told me privately that the worst tourists were the Germans....At the end of the trip,
I ran into one of the Bahamian guys who wanted to offer the girls a ride, he said "When you coming back
to me country man?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM

402 posts, read 307,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Outside of the USA it is always amazing how fast white Americans run to black Americans when they are the only Americans around.

Not to say that AAs and whites are the same, because clearly they aren't. AAs have a distinct range of styles and characteristics that mark them as an ethno-racial group. But they are cut out of that American tapestry and have contributed in a HUGE way to determining what being American is.

Billy Bob can have a temper tantrum but at the end of the day just as blues and country are related so too are the blacks and whites of the South. And many will claim, and with great justification too, that the South is the USA's cultural heartland. That is where the various groups first became "American".

The cities of the northeast still remain connected to an immigrant origin, and ethnicity becomes very important. Ditto for the Midwest, though to a lesser degree.

You could add, "and have the same great great great grandfathers!" Looks at the various shades of brown.

I've been to parties with AA's, Africans, Caribbean people, Black Brits. Yes, there are differences of course. Everyone gets along fine.

Same as a room full of Germans, French, American etc people

Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 PM

6,600 posts, read 3,650,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I never knew any white person by name until the 7th grade. I can't recall that I ever even had an occasion to speak to a white person until then...not even a kid at a playground. Totally separate parts of town, and although our house was near the dividing line, that was a line that I as a child never crossed.

We had some nearby towns that were "Sundown towns" until well into the 70s. Those were towns a black person had to vacate by sundown.

It was rather eerie playing basketball games with a sundown town school when I was in high school. There could be no private vehicles--everyone had to take the school bus, including parents. We rode straight to the school, got out and played the game, got back in the bus and rode directly out again. That was in the early 70s.
I came up a few years after you in Los Angeles, and because I wasn't one of those bused out to the valley beyond a few school teachers (until 1978 it was LAUSD policy to send black teachers to black neighborhoods my father got caught in the teacher integration draft in 1978) I didn't know any white people by name until I enlisted in the US Army.

White flight was so thorough there really wasn't any white area an easy RTD bus ride away in the 70s so it was logistics not fear that kept local segregation in effect and I didn't worry about their local police if the sundown policies of the 40s and 50s would have stayed in effect.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,582,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I've had many Ghanaian and Nigerian friends (1st generation Americans) say that black/white in the U.S. is nearly identical. I'm not sure if non-African immigrants view it the same way but Africans see the similarities better than anyone else.

In the South, blacks and whites are VERY similar. Both have cultures steeped in Native American, West African and Scots-Irish/British traditions that have been blended over 400 years. In places like Chicago, NYC etc., blacks and whites seem more separate in their cultural traditions. The whites there tend to be more recent arrivals, post Civil War, so you have a lot of Italian, Greek and various Eastern European-descended people. They never really had the chance to adopt Native American and African ways into their culture.
Thats painting with a broad stroke of a brush. Just like insinuating that AA's believe that they have anything besides color and SOME sense of culture with African continentals. Im from New Orleans and you we dont have the same accents or ways and WASPS. We have more in common with the Cajun descendants as far as accent and culture. But America itself is a mixture of all cultures that came into contact with each other. I now live in NYC and while the population of blacks that are not decendants of the AA's that migrated from the south, i,e, West Indian or African continental blacks do practice their cultures, you have to remember that at least for the Carribean cultures theirs are also a mixture of African/Indigenous/some for of European. All southern blacks are not the same Cher......and I know people will want to say my hometown is the exception to that rule by I disagree.....

Old 07-09-2017, 06:58 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,032,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Thats painting with a broad stroke of a brush. Just like insinuating that AA's believe that they have anything besides color and SOME sense of culture with African continentals. Im from New Orleans and you we dont have the same accents or ways and WASPS. We have more in common with the Cajun descendants as far as accent and culture. But America itself is a mixture of all cultures that came into contact with each other. I now live in NYC and while the population of blacks that are not decendants of the AA's that migrated from the south, i,e, West Indian or African continental blacks do practice their cultures, you have to remember that at least for the Carribean cultures theirs are also a mixture of African/Indigenous/some for of European. All southern blacks are not the same Cher......and I know people will want to say my hometown is the exception to that rule by I disagree.....

In NOLA, you may not have anything in common with WASPS, but you do have a lot in common with the Acadians (now Cajuns). Each southern state has a different makeup to their white populations, but the blacks generally share a lot of commonalities with at least one those groups. We don't have many French-descended whites in Texas. Most are either Scots-Irish, German or Czech/Polish. Blacks here probably have more in common with white Scots-Irish versus the central and eastern European descended groups.

The blacks in Alabama and the blacks in South Carolina are obviously different. However, the blacks in Alabama have things in common with the whites in 'Bama just like the blacks in SC share commonalities with the whites in that state.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
In NOLA, you may not have anything in common with WASPS, but you do have a lot in common with the Acadians (now Cajuns). Each southern state has a different makeup to their white populations, but the blacks generally share a lot of commonalities with at least one those groups. We don't have many French-descended whites in Texas. Most are either Scots-Irish, German or Czech/Polish. Blacks here probably have more in common with white Scots-Irish versus the central and eastern European descended groups.

The blacks in Alabama and the blacks in South Carolina are obviously different. However, the blacks in Alabama have things in common with the whites in 'Bama just like the blacks in SC share commonalities with the whites in that state.
If you read my statement you will see where I stated such. about similarities in accent and culture with the Cajuns....so what exactly are we debating here? And I correctly stated that the country as a whole is a melting pot. You cannot paint with broad strokes amigo. Im pretty sure the Gullah in SC would disagree that their culture is based on WASP culture. There are however influences in all cultures of Indiginous/European. But to say that the black people and the white npeople in a similar locale are the same is a gross misrepresentation. In some areas yes, but in most the subcultures are almost polar opposites.

Bt just for kicks, did you really read my post? Because you tried to inform me about a point that I MADE....

Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 PM

20,204 posts, read 11,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
If you read my statement you will see where I stated such. about similarities in accent and culture with the Cajuns....so what exactly are we debating here? And I correctly stated that the country as a whole is a melting pot. You cannot paint with broad strokes amigo. Im pretty sure the Gullah in SC would disagree that their culture is based on WASP culture. There are however influences in all cultures of Indiginous/European. But to say that the black people and the white npeople in a similar locale are the same is a gross misrepresentation. In some areas yes, but in most the subcultures are almost polar opposites.

Bt just for kicks, did you really read my post? Because you tried to inform me about a point that I MADE....
jgn2013 did not say "the same" he said "things in common."

Old 07-09-2017, 07:48 PM

And @jgn2013, I have friends in Houston, Missouri City and Arlington. The Houston area has a heavy Mexican, or shall I say Tex Mex influence. And the black subculture seems to really differ from the whites. Now one could argue its mainly a difference in dress, music, and cuisine maybe...but you get my point?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
jgn2013 did not say "the same" he said "things in common."
I also said things in common....you should read my inital post....

Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,942,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Some Bahamians told me privately that the worst tourists were the Germans....At the end of the trip,
I ran into one of the Bahamian guys who wanted to offer the girls a ride, he said "When you coming back
to me country man?"
In fact in these really tourist dependent islands they put on an act for the white tourists, but see most of them as just a meal ticket.

They definitely identify more with the black tourists and will be quite friendly if the black tourist reciprocates. They will be confused and might even become hostile if you react to them too formally (seeing them in their role as hotel employees instead of as locals who you want to get to know). This is where some black tourists then begin to feel that the employees treat them worse than they treat the white tourists.

Yes I have heard that bit about the Germans too. Their reputation is like that of white Americans about 40 years ago. As much as some Americans are still in the "Ugly" mode I find that their attitudes have improved tremendously over the years and some even try to get to know the locals too. Its cute to see some of the young ones involved in the local carnivals. Cannot dance but definitely enjoying themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or