U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 AM

20,307 posts, read 11,268,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact in these really tourist dependent islands they put on an act for the white tourists, but see most of them as just a meal ticket.

They definitely identify more with the black tourists and will be quite friendly if the black tourist reciprocates. They will be confused and might even become hostile if you react to them too formally (seeing them in their role as hotel employees instead of as locals who you want to get to know). This is where some black tourists then begin to feel that the employees treat them worse than they treat the white tourists.
As long as in the end the black tourists still get the same level of service....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,964,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
It's not about being admitted into white culture. It's about being allowed to live in peace and having the same opportunities as everyone else in this country...which definitely wasn't the case prior to the civil right's movement.

Why do you assume that "white" (what is that anyway?) foods...music...clothing style...hair styles etc are so great that everyone in this so-called melting pot of a country needs to adapt? Maybe black people find "white" foods unpalatable...can't wear the hairstyles...find the music to suck etc?

How about that?

I find it hilarious that whites, most descended from 19th century European immigrants, will imply that black Americans are less "American" than they are. Most black Americans are descended from peoples who were brought into this country against their will with almost all arriving before 1800.

So in fact the "black" culture has as much right to ne seen as an American culture and so why some think that this should be abandoned in order for people have equal access to opportunity based on their talents, efforts and energy.

What does loving rock and having a thin reedy nasal voice have to do with being competent?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,040,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
And @jgn2013, I have friends in Houston, Missouri City and Arlington. The Houston area has a heavy Mexican, or shall I say Tex Mex influence. And the black subculture seems to really differ from the whites. Now one could argue its mainly a difference in dress, music, and cuisine maybe...but you get my point?
Are you comparing black/white at the same socioeconomic level? You can't compare working class black culture to middle or upper-middle class white culture.

Across the country and especially in the South, blacks and whites are very similar at each income level. Not exactly the same but not as different as many believe.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

2,384 posts, read 1,565,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Any black American over the age of 50 remembers segregation. The same with Black Africans. It was only during the early 1960's that many African countries became independent.

Obama may not have been raised by black parents but he lived in the real world so experienced racism and had friends who were black.
Segregation ended in the US in 1964. That's 53 years ago. To remember it you'd have to have been born in the early 1950s or late 1940s at the most recent. If we said born in 1950 that would be a 67 year old today.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Segregation ended in the US in 1964. That's 53 years ago. To remember it you'd have to have been born in the early 1950s or late 1940s at the most recent. If we said born in 1950 that would be a 67 year old today.
LOL, that's really a statement of someone who merely read a book.

The law was passed in 1964.

I attended my first integrated school in 1968.

The last day I sat in segregated movie seating was July 20, 1969. (And in that same town, the city newspaper refused to run the story of Obama's election to the presidency.)

The city I lived in during high school did not have an integrated swimming pool until 1970.

Interracial dating--nope. Not even in the early 70s. No mixed prom dates happened while I was in high school (still doesn't happen in some places).

There were "sundown towns" in the state until...well, actually there are still sundown towns in the state.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:59 PM

620 posts, read 470,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Are you comparing black/white at the same socioeconomic level? You can't compare working class black culture to middle or upper-middle class white culture.

Across the country and especially in the South, blacks and whites are very similar at each income level. Not exactly the same but not as different as many believe.

This is a very good observation and is a mistake people make far too often when comparing different groups. Particularly when comparing whites and blacks. Often times things labelled as racial differences are actually class differences.

A particularly egregious and common example is comparing working class and rural southern black attributes to upper-middle class metropolitan "wasp" attributes and labelling the contrast as a racial one representing different race traits. This is also underpinned by the prevalent race caste psychology of most Americans of all races.
Of course most American whites of the south and small towns arent very much like northeastern prep school bred professionals. And the traits commonly deemed "waspy" are in fact similar to the indigenous traits of the upper middle and upper classes of Africa and cultures the world over. .

Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM

178 posts, read 85,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
It Legally ended in 1964 but there were many areas across the South that kept well into the 1970's.
Attitudes dont just change over night.Just because its not law anymore does not mean segregation just ceases to exist.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,587,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
While what you say is true about the present, it is not so because of the history if race relations. Modern day Americans who are racist have a whole set of rationalizations why they are that way, none of which relate to the racial history of the USA. Americans who are racist would be anyway, regardless if there had ever been slavery or segregation. After all, the number of people in Britain, for example, who are racist is similar to the number in the USA, but Britain has no history of slavery, segregation, or any other institutionalized oppression.
Absolute rubbish and falsehoods....you must know nothing about how Black Caribbeans were treated in the UK and still are. They have maybe a tad bit more integration but there is a LONG history of racism, oppression and bias.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Absolute rubbish and falsehoods....you must know nothing about how Black Caribbeans were treated in the UK and still are. They have maybe a tad bit more integration but there is a LONG history of racism, oppression and bias.
That's what he said.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:16 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,964,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
LOL, that's really a statement of someone who merely read a book.

The law was passed in 1964.

I attended my first integrated school in 1968.

The last day I sat in segregated movie seating was July 20, 1969. (And in that same town, the city newspaper refused to run the story of Obama's election to the presidency.)

The city I lived in during high school did not have an integrated swimming pool until 1970.

Interracial dating--nope. Not even in the early 70s. No mixed prom dates happened while I was in high school (still doesn't happen in some places).

There were "sundown towns" in the state until...well, actually there are still sundown towns in the state.
There were still riots when local authorities tried to integrate schools all the way through the 70s. I believe in Boston even in the 80s. There were white parents who didn't want ANY blacks in their schools.

And of course even when OPEN segregation ended a more disguised form of racism continued. Those who scream that racism ended are being very disingenuous, as the recent explosion of the "Alt Right" who scream that the USA is a "white man's country" and who now boast strong influence in the Trump administration, should be something that those who do NOT want to discuss ongoing racism should note.

The average white American has very limited social contact with blacks to the point where most become uncomfortable if they suddenly find themselves in a majority black environment. And I mean majority black MIDDLE CLASS environment. It is the exceptional white who can enter a room filled with black professionals and not feel awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or