Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
??? This never happened.
You're right, that was the Dutch who did that.

But then, the point was that the black American settlers went to Liberia to start their own colony, not to blend in with the natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

But then, the point was that the black American settlers went to Liberia to start their own colony, not to blend in with the natives.
And that may explain that even today there are divides between the indigenous and the descendents of the American settlers in Liberia.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And that may explain that even today there are divides between the indigenous and the descendents of the American settlers in Liberia.
Of course there are. Why wouldn't there be and why, actually, shouldn't there be?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Of course there are. Why wouldn't there be and why, actually, shouldn't there be?
I'd be interested to know more about the dynamics between these groups over time, my sense is that they don't really get along...

Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
People have the BS idea that
"They are black, so why aren't they the same?"

It's like saying that a white American meets a white person from Moldova
And wonder why they are culturally so different

Black people in American are very likely to cone from a poor family
Africans that comebto the US are likely to cone from an upper class family in their country

Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,448 times
Quote:

This was just a case of two settler societies (Liberia and Sierra Leone) that started their respective colonies
at the expense of the indigenous tribes already living there. The difference was that everyone was black and
the indigenous tribes weren't decimated and/or reduced like in the case of the West Indies, U.S or Australia.

The indigenous tribes still thrive and keep their culture and language. The colonies vs. the indigenous people
are the root causes of the civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone. Until I read the history, I wondered why my
friend from one of the ethnic groups didn't like the Krios.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:47 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,448 times
One bright spot was that in one case, one of the colonist was reunited with his mother after being sold into slavery.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Black people in American are very likely to cone from a poor family
Africans that comebto the US are likely to cone from an upper class family in their country
Poor does NOT equal dumb, unsophisticated or unable to meet a different culture halfway! Neither does wealth mean "superior" in any other way except monetarily. Your attempt to reduce a complex social and historical divide to simple wealth... ... seriously?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Poor does NOT equal dumb, unsophisticated or unable to meet a different culture halfway! Neither does wealth mean "superior" in any other way except monetarily. Your attempt to reduce a complex social and historical divide to simple wealth... ... seriously?
That's a distraction and a misconstruction of what Dopo said.

He said absolutely nothing about "equal dumb, unsophisticated or unable" nor did he say anything about "superior"--your use of quotes is disingenuous.

Dopo did not suggest any difference in levels. In fact, the specific example he gave to demonstrate his meaning was clearly nothing about levels, but only that they are different.

And the culture of the impoverished economic stratum of any nation will, indeed, be different and not directly comparable to the culture of the privileged economic stratum of any society.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
This was just a case of two settler societies (Liberia and Sierra Leone) that started their respective colonies
at the expense of the indigenous tribes already living there. The difference was that everyone was black and
the indigenous tribes weren't decimated and/or reduced like in the case of the West Indies, U.S or Australia.

The indigenous tribes still thrive and keep their culture and language. The colonies vs. the indigenous people
are the root causes of the civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone. Until I read the history, I wondered why my
friend from one of the ethnic groups didn't like the Krios.
Generally speaking, I have not observed a lot of "like" between very many African tribal groups I've gained any direct knowledge of. I'm not convinced that's something black Americans need to tie ourselves into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa