U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,254,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Dude stop

And it has not a damn thing to with a plantation. The census was created to keep information of the demographics and population of the country. Also it called "diversity"

The term Caucasian wasn't even popular use before the civil war. the census used the term Caucasian for white Americans, white Americans don't care and it's socially acceptable. It's not that deep,

I also notice you keep pushing a lie, slavery didn't create racial or ethnic groups... culture and ancestry did. Slavery created a caste system to how people would be treated.

other wise the error was not discovering the diversity... the error was miss treating the diversity.

1. You lack reading comprehension I gave you a specific example refer to my previous post.

2. So what I gave you was a specific example of Caucasian not white census classification created for the purpose of paying some people less for their labor on the sugar plantation.

3. Find where is said it did you clearly don't understand the difference between race and ethnic group. The labels White, Black in the USA directly connects to the slave plantation and hierarchy. Again I repeat the term Caucasian was utilized in Hawaii by plantation owners to save money and enforce a caste system. The term Black in the American South was used to enforce a caste system. This is plantation politics you can keep the term Caucasian I don't work for any master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,947,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

You can go on and on about AA contributions, none of this is ever really accepted by white people. Obama, born in the US, was subject to constant attacks on his citizenship.

When people say "American", it's generally a codeword for WHITE. ESPECIALLY in Trump's America.

Who cares whether some, all, or no white people are impressed with the progress that about 60% of black Americans have made over the past 60 years. In any case whites aren't a monolith and when we figure that the death and injuries on Saturday were whites defending the image of the USA as a nation which celebrates its diversity I will NOT let the opinions of a dying breed of losers define what this country is about.

White supremacists are a walking pathology of all that ails much of white USA and rather then dealing with this they let others scape goat non whites as a cause of their problems.

What is important is what black Americans in particular, and US based blacks in general think of this.

Are we satisfied with the progress made? A mixed report to be sure. How do we think we can protect our interests from being eroded in light of the fact that we have a closet KKK member as the president? And of course there remains the larger problem of the 40% of blacks who are slipping further behind.

And as a non American I can assure you that when people say "American" they surely include black Americans in that. That racist elements in the USA think otherwise is their ignorant issue. I have seen this bigot Richard Spencer being interviewed by intelligent blacks and the man is reduced to being a very subservient idiot as they gently contradict his nonsense. He stands tall only in front of the ignorant. Put him I front of Oprah and he becomes a withering wreck.

The most popular US president within recent times is Obama. The world is well aware of the civil rights struggle of black America and have in fact used it as a template in their own struggles, and this isn't just limited to blacks either.

The reason why US style is very popular isn't because of the nonsense of "freedom and democracy" that so many Americans like to trumpet. The world doesn't see the USA as either free nor democratic.

What the USA is seen as is a country with its cool style, hence the fact that our biggest export is the pop culture, music, films and dance. Even the French are captured with this, and they are about as nationalistic as one can be. France is the 2nd largest market for hip hop, behind the USA and is a major market for jazz. In fact classic R&B is more popular in Europe than it is in the USA.

So only ridiculous cretins equate being American with being white. But for blacks the USA would have no more cultural influence over the rest of the world than do Canada or Australia. And one can quantify in billions of dollars of annual exports of American services which derive from the fascination that the world has for US style. The USA would be a much poorer country but for that style.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I will concede that to the white nationalists who run and own this nation.

I will then suggest to you that you are taking quite a bit for granted.

Face it in all of these countries that you have visited where blacks are a minority in NONE of them do the local blacks have the stature that blacks in the USA have. This is not because the USA is more generous in its treatment of its nonwhites and especially of its blacks. This is because blacks fought for this and some have in fact benefitted from the struggle.

Blacks in all of these Latin American nations are very aware of what black Americans have achieved. In fact sometimes they think that there is more achieved than is actually the case in reality. The recent progress of blacks in Brazil is very much due to the fact that they have seen what blacks in the USA achieved, in a society which is more blatantly racist.

Blacks in Brazil have become more vocal in confronting the lie that there is no racism in Brazil and have demanded the implementation of strategies to allow the creation of a larger black middle class. This when a mere 30 years ago one could have debated whether one existed in that nation. The visibility of more affluent blacks in the USA has also altered the notion based on implicit bias that blacks couldn't be seen as a people who could perform certain functions.

My father and an aunt attended international conferences in Cartagena in the early 80s. Two separate conferences that it. One in health care and the other in education. They reported that the only blacks that they saw (dark skinned people that is) were those selling in the streets. I gather that despite the problems that blacks in Colombia still face (and I mean the dark ones) things are somewhat better now.

It is the civil rights struggles of US blacks that gave many in Latin America and Europe the language to mount their fight for economic and political inclusion.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh, Lordy!

You want white people to like you?

You're all bothered and depressed and angry because white people don't like you?

Hell, we never expected white people to like us. When we marched and even when we rioted, getting white people to like us was never a goal.

This is a dilemma that some black millennials have. Badly wanting to be loved by these people and apparently having degrees of self loathing when this doesn't happen.

Generally respect is gained when people project that they respect themselves and aren't begging a particular group to respect them.

In any case I know for a fact that there isn't a monolithic view that whites have of blacks. No they didn't all show up to the meeting that Trump, Brannon and Richard Spence held this morning. Some did. Most didn't, some because they couldn't be bothered, and others because they actually vehemently loathe open bigotry.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I agree that black and white Americans act similarly when surrounded by a foreign culture. I'm just curious why it's viewed as blacks 'acting' like whites instead of the other way around. Africans, Asians etc., view "American" behaviors (good and bad) as white and that white is the default American.

In fact many Europeans think that white Americans act some what like black Americans, except for being more arrogant and displaying the "Ugly American" attitude.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:

When people say criminal, gangster, or other extremely degrading things, they mean Black.

Having a few professional Black tokens does not make the ongoing marginalization of certain groups of people (Blacks, Latinos, immigrants in general, gays, etc) okay or good.
When me rephrase this when SOME WHITE people say gangster they mean black.

Also most whites live very mediocre lives struggling to pay the bills. 30% of black households in the USA OUTEARN the average white household and when it comes to average black immigrant median household levels most of these are around 85%, with some like Nigerians achieving parity.

So its not this uniformly dismal picture that you paint.

And yes in Colombia, Cuba, Brazil, the UK and France blacks are also way over represented in their jails as well.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

What I keep repeating which you keep ignoring there is not a term for black people like Caucasian is for whites, .

In fact most Caucasians are NOT white. South Asians and most Middle Eastern people are also Caucasoid and they do not consider themselves nor do they consider themselves to be "white". Caucasians originate in the region around the Caucasus mountains, Some moved west and became white and others moved south and remained brown.

People of European stock describe themselves as "white". That is if they even think about this, and in fact many whites don't even think about racial identity when it comes to themselves. In the USA they do because whites are a dwindling population, hence the enhanced paranoia that is becoming visible among the poorer white populations. So that isn't any different from people of sub Saharan extraction considering themselves to be black. In France its "Frenchmen" and foreigners.

Black Americans cannot even mobilize themselves to galvanize the billions of dollars that they spend and yet you want all of the "black world" to become some economic grouping?

I will suggest to you that the best way for this to happen is for blacks living in the USA to garner a way more economic clout than we have now because if you think that similar skin color is alone to make blacks in Africa or the Caribbean interested in you then you delude yourself. Yes they will hang out ands engage in cultural exchange but the European will continue to dominate.

When blacks living in the USA can introduce blacks in the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa to markets, finance, technology, cutting edge management, etc., than this pan African world will emerge. But it cannot because the same problems that they have those of us living in the USA also have, and that is access to economic power and technology.

People who live in nations where everyone is black think differently from those who live as minorities. In Nigeria black skin is no more of interest to them than is blonde hair to a white person.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Just met a guy from Africa. He's white and was born there. If he got citizenship would he be considered an African-American?

No. He will be South African American, or Zimbabwean American or Kenyan American.

African American applies to those of African origin who aren't knowledgeable of what their specific ancestries are for obvious reasons. This is why many Caribbean immigrants object to being called African American. Their identity is based on being Jamaican, Haitian, Trinidadian, Guyanese. They know they are of African descent but primarily their national origins as being important.

Of course given that they operate within the SAME racial context as do African Americans they will identify with the "black" struggle but insist that its not just the "African American" struggle.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I can tell you are not black. ...... Lol..... You lost me at "Africans today don't remember colonialism". Ha. It's still going on..... Superpowers pull the strings.

Africa is ESPECIALLY defined by its colonial experience even more than the Caribbean and Latin America is. They actually do recall their pre colonial heritages and so are painfully struggling to deal with the mess that occurred when Europeans in some capital on that continent drew lines on a map completely ignoring the fact that they were dividing various ethnic groups and pushing others together.

Look at Nigeria with all of its conflicts. Who in any sane world would put northern Nigerians in the same country as those in the south?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
There's a joke that George Carlin likes to tell - a racist white South African can emigrate to the USA and call himself an "African American" to mess with the black Americans.

Actually he cannot because he knows fully well what his national origins are. No way will he classify himself in the same group with Nigerians or Moroccans, both radically different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or