U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 AM

6,569 posts, read 9,085,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post

I've been in situations where I was totally treated like an outcast amongst a group of Ghanians.
What was the issue with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,839,309 times
Actually now that I think about it the only black people that had issues with me were Ethiopian men and Dominican men for vastly different reasons.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

2,649 posts, read 4,831,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

One thing that Africa could use more of is a bigger cinema and media presence. People can learn a lot about other people just by seeing their movies and TV shows. Most Black-Americans and Americans in general have never seen an African movie or TV show. Seeing more African movies and media can broaden Black-American's view of African people and the continent as a whole. This is why I like watching shows like 'Inside Africa','African Voices' and 'Market Place Africa' on the CNN International Channel. These shows give Americans more exposure to Africa beyond what we've gotten in the past.
There is also the Africa Channel on Cable tv. I have it on Comcast channel 297.

The Africa Channel / Travel. Lifestyle. Culture.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 AM

637 posts, read 646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To a point, I disagree. History means nothing. My grandparents came to America from Russia, escaping the oppression of the Tsar. That is completely meaningless to me, and has made no contribution whatsoever to who I am as a person.

A Black American and a Black African have nothing in common whatsoever, any more so than a White American and White African. They may, incidentally, be able to find some common ground if they both grew up in a place where Blacks were subjected to discrimination or oppression. But no living Black American was directly affected by Slavery, and very few old enough to have been directly affected by Segretation. Similarly, very few Black Africans are old enough to have been directly affected by Colonialism. However historically important those phenomena are, a Black American and a Black African meeting in the street have not been influenced at all in their lifetimes by slavery, segregation or colonialism. No more so than I and a 25 year old Russian have any common experience of serfdom or oppression in Russia.

As an aside, has it occurred to you that Barack Obama did not spend one single day of his childhood living in an African-American household, society or neighborhood, and cannot know from personal experience that that would be like. He is the 44th US president to be raised as a white child by a white family in a white social framework. It would be "unnatural" for Obama to assume that he has anything in common with even a Black American, much less a Black African.

NOT correct at all. The effects of slavery and colonialism are felt every day. Your experience as a Russian is just the experience of a nationality. You do not belong to that nationality so it would not affect you in any way. Colonialism and slavery destroyed cultures and societies. Those effects are permanent.

Did the Holocaust change the face of Europe? Does the effect of that explain the distribution of Jews around the world or the number of Jews in various countries?

Barack Obama is not African-American so why is he being mentioned here. His father was African and his mother was Caucasian. He therefore has half of his ancestry in common with a Black African as his father was a Black African and he has many close relatives who are pure Black Africans.

Did you even read what you wrote before writing this?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 AM

11 posts, read 28,971 times
There isn't much contact to be honest. I didn't come to America to make friends and play racial kiss chase. I came to work. That's about it. If someone says hello to me I will say hello back. I'm not going to seek someone out just because we have the same skin color. I grew up in a tribal society not a racial one. Having black skin in Africa doesn't mean a thing. It's more about which tribe you belong too. The average African American, Afro Latino and Afro Caribbean would know very little about my culture. Culture is what separates us. Just like back home in Nigeria I have very little in common with an Igbo man..I am Yoruba. Our cultures are vastly different.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Less than 5% of Africans can remember colonial days, and lmaybe 5% of African Americans alive today attended segregated schools. (12% of African Americans are over 65, and more than half of those grew up in states with integrated facilities.)

So did I and so did George W. Bush and so did Bill Clinton..
Don't throw out random stats. Most of my older family members can remember the colonial days just fine. My country only gained it's independence 53 years ago my friend.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do Africans get along with other blacks like people from the caribbean and Latin America meaning Afro-Latinos?
The same way we do with African Americans for the most part. We are cordial with each other but what do we really have in common apart from skin color? Nothing. We have different histories, languages, traditions. Lets face it. Most of those that descend from Slavery have more in common with Europeans culturually than they do Africans.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,573,050 times
I've worked in facilities with a lot of African born nurses...mostly from Ghana. I've never had a problem as far as work goes but outside work friend-ships don't work out with these women. The culture gap is just to wide for me.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Where do most Blacks descend from? Nigeria?

I am talking about the ones that were brought here during slavery
No. It depends which country. Quite a few African Americans have Igbo heritage from Nigeria but that's about it. Alot of Afro Americans have Ghanaian, Sierra Leone, and Gambian roots. The country Nigeria sdidn't exist until a 100 years ago.

My tribe the Yorubas were one of the very last tribes to be taken during the slave trade and they ended up in Brazil for the most part, Haiti (the Haitians of yoruba descent of from Benin Republic) and some scant remains in Trinidad and Cuba.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,573,050 times
It's not about being admitted into white culture. It's about being allowed to live in peace and having the same opportunities as everyone else in this country...which definitely wasn't the case prior to the civil right's movement.

Why do you assume that "white" (what is that anyway?) foods...music...clothing style...hair styles etc are so great that everyone in this so-called melting pot of a country needs to adapt? Maybe black people find "white" foods unpalatable...can't wear the hairstyles...find the music to suck etc?

How about that?

Quote:
Yeah, but so are my notions of racial superiority. Does that justify it for whites, to cling to historical perceptions? Aren't we BOTH obliged to put that behind us and get past it?

Look. Blacks were invited into the white mainstream in the 1960's, but a lot of them that I know declined the invitation, and insisted on retaining the culture based on their own roots. Arts, fashion, language, the whole lot, and accused whites of trying to force them into a culture that they had clamored to be admitted to for a century. That was their call, not mine.

Last edited by Jasper03; 11-06-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or