U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Educated white Americans might also know that a few days ago a major mud slide killed scores of people in Sierra Leone. However 70% of all white Americans haven't completed 4 year college...Even some who did aren't necessarily "educated" in terms of having a knowledge or interest of the outside world. Our current president is an example of this.


The point is that the average white Americans doesn't know or care about what's happening in Europe, even those running around screaming that they are 100% "European", wailing to make America "white again" and having a melt down when their ancestry DNA test comes back with a 10% sub Saharan African genome marker.


Americans in general are very ignorant about the rest of the world. I hardly think that this is a phenomenon confined to black Americans and their ignorance of Africa.
I don't know what the average white American is. Many of them, even those without a college degree do indeed vacation in Europe and many of the ones in NYC are just a two or three generations from Europe.

So claim that there are no ties between white Americans and Europeans is just plain stupid.

And as noted, the educated ones definitely go to Europe to study and for business and the wealthy ones will even own homes in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So what are YOU doing about it? Crying that white people don't like you, and moaning how hard it is to be black so you can escape to a third world society where you being American gets you privileges?

If you are waiting for white people to like you that will be in vain especially as you don't even seem to like yourself. Because if you did you wouldn't waste precious time worrying about what some uneducated person thinks about you.


FYI it isn't just blacks being gentrified out either as anyone seeing whites moving into high crime neighborhoods will know. They don't move there by choice. They move there because that is the only place that they can afford. Many living packed like sardines, terrified that homelessness comes quickly if one of their room mates decides to move, or becomes unable to pick up their share of the rent.

I don't see a thing written by you that improves the situation and crying about the fact that whites don't like you and think that you are a criminal is hardly an intelligent reaction.


You can scoff at our ages but in another 20 years another youth will scoff at your age too. One of the things about being around the planet a little longer is we see how often things don't really change. You will not remain your current age forever. Take it from people who were your age not that long ago, and now are older and a little wiser having experienced a little more than you clearly have.
Old age does not bring wisdom. You either have it or you don't.

I'm directly involved in the campaigns for drug legalization and for ending the war against drugs. I'm directly involved with lobbyists and others in that circle. I'm directly in correspondence with elected officials on the issues important to me. I am directly involved in the movement to take down confederate monuments.

That doesn't mean I'm going to pretend to care about every issue that might affect Black people. It's not my job to save the world, but on issues that are more pressing to me personally, I am indeed politically involved.

I was involved in anti Stop and Frisk movement as well, and we actually won.

Re: gentrification, I'm not taking on that battle because quite frankly, I'm doing other battles and I cannot be everywhere.

Unlike fossilized "negros" who claim afrocentrism were convenient, I do indeed involve myself in important issues affecting human rights and constitutional issues.

But CaribNY, I don't think you do. You hide behind an anonymous name on the internet, where it's safe and where there cannot be any potential career damage.

One can find my activism regarding legalization and against mass incarceration if one looks for it on the internet.

Of course certain correspondence between me and certain politicians and lobbyists is private, but what I've said in public on those issues is all over the internet under my real name, and I do mention the two Ivy League universities I attended, unlike you who can't ever get that specific about his academic or professional backgrounds.

So my critical comments, if you and Agbor can still process them (lol) are not disdain towards your age per say or towards everyone in your generation. I have considerable disdain towards the Black ministers who declared themselves the voice of Black people in the 60s and 70s, leaving the majority of Black people to suffer at the hands of police, suffer various forms of housing discrimination, or otherwise complete marginalization. Of course these ministers had no worthwhile qualifications or education, and that's one of the good things that came out of the Obama era. It made Black Reverend's in a political sense completely IRRELEVANT. But of course "negroes" and "coons" like yourself won't protest that at all. You feel you're a middle class Black person, so you can criticize the "bad" Black youth who were saggy pants. Another Bill Cosby and it gave me great pleasure to see those women nail that worthless rapist to the wall.

So I don't like old Black holier than thou times.

And believe me, though I can be critical on political issues, the way I live my life is hardly holier than thou, and nor have I ever claimed it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM
 
611 posts, read 468,197 times
Reputation: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Old age does not bring wisdom. You either have it or you don't.

I'm directly involved in the campaigns for drug legalization and for ending the war against drugs. I'm directly involved with lobbyists and others in that circle. I'm directly in correspondence with elected officials on the issues important to me. I am directly involved in the movement to take down confederate monuments.

That doesn't mean I'm going to pretend to care about every issue that might affect Black people. It's not my job to save the world, but on issues that are more pressing to me personally, I am indeed politically involved.

I was involved in anti Stop and Frisk movement as well, and we actually won.

Re: gentrification, I'm not taking on that battle because quite frankly, I'm doing other battles and I cannot be everywhere.

Unlike fossilized "negros" who claim afrocentrism were convenient, I do indeed involve myself in important issues affecting human rights and constitutional issues.

But CaribNY, I don't think you do. You hide behind an anonymous name on the internet, where it's safe and where there cannot be any potential career damage.

One can find my activism regarding legalization and against mass incarceration if one looks for it on the internet.

Of course certain correspondence between me and certain politicians and lobbyists is private, but what I've said in public on those issues is all over the internet under my real name, and I do mention the two Ivy League universities I attended, unlike you who can't ever get that specific about his academic or professional backgrounds.

So my critical comments, if you and Agbor can still process them (lol) are not disdain towards your age per say or towards everyone in your generation. I have considerable disdain towards the Black ministers who declared themselves the voice of Black people in the 60s and 70s, leaving the majority of Black people to suffer at the hands of police, suffer various forms of housing discrimination, or otherwise complete marginalization. Of course these ministers had no worthwhile qualifications or education, and that's one of the good things that came out of the Obama era. It made Black Reverend's in a political sense completely IRRELEVANT. But of course "negroes" and "coons" like yourself won't protest that at all. You feel you're a middle class Black person, so you can criticize the "bad" Black youth who were saggy pants. Another Bill Cosby and it gave me great pleasure to see those women nail that worthless rapist to the wall.

So I don't like old Black holier than thou times.

And believe me, though I can be critical on political issues, the way I live my life is hardly holier than thou, and nor have I ever claimed it was.


I think i'm probably somewhere in between the ages of you and CaribNY. Definitely not a millennial but was not yet born in the 60s and early 70s. I have to seriously disagree about this notion that the civil rights movement was a "failure". Serious and meaningful legal battles were indeed won. You claim that these ministers from the 60s & 70s were " leaving the majority of Black people to suffer at the hands of police, suffer various forms of housing discrimination, or otherwise complete marginalization". Not sure what this means exactly as these same people were at the forefront of fighting against those very things and are a large part of the progress that was made against them.


The civil rights movement is incomplete and certainly far from perfect and has its strategic deficiencies (although judging by your positions on drug legalization and Bill Cosby, our opinions of where those deficiencies lie are probably very different), but to claim that it was a failure just isn't supported by observable evidence.


There are still serious disparities but to claim failure ignores the HUGE difference between things today and of those previous decades. It is not a minor difference and I think this is an area where someone of CaribNYs generation would have a perspective that neither of us do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think i'm probably somewhere in between the ages of you and CaribNY. Definitely not a millennial but was not yet born in the 60s and early 70s. I have to seriously disagree about this notion that the civil rights movement was a "failure". Serious and meaningful legal battles were indeed won. You claim that these ministers from the 60s & 70s were " leaving the majority of Black people to suffer at the hands of police, suffer various forms of housing discrimination, or otherwise complete marginalization". Not sure what this means exactly as these same people were at the forefront of fighting against those very things and are a large part of the progress that was made against them.


The civil rights movement is incomplete and certainly far from perfect and has its strategic deficiencies (although judging by your positions on drug legalization and Bill Cosby, our opinions of where those deficiencies lie are probably very different), but to claim that it was a failure just isn't supported by observable evidence.


There are still serious disparities but to claim failure ignores the HUGE difference between things today and of those previous decades. It is not a minor difference and I think this is an area where someone of CaribNYs generation would have a perspective that neither of us do.
Yes, it was a failure, plain and simple.

The civil rights movement focused on all the things that would advance the Black middle class. Get rid of discrimination in academia and for civil service jobs. Encourage companies to use tokenism (hire one or two Blacks in the name of diversity). Civil rights leaders, mostly reverends did not campaign against mass incarceration and sucked up to people like Bill Clinton has they passed draconian laws that locked up huge parts of Black America. Mass incarceration has damaged much of Black American on a generational basis.

This alone was failure, the fact that the aging civil rights guard in the 90s was too busy sucking up to Clinton to do anything about the war on drugs which was really a war on people of color.

If a movement cannot unconditionally defend people in it's community, it is a FAILURE and does not represent the people it claims to represent.

These Reverends are LOSERS, INEFFECTIVE, and all need to go into retirement, as should anyone connected with that movement and that includes the obsolete NAACP. NAACP did not give any major statements against the war on drugs, did not attempt to organize against the mass incarceration of Black people, etc. I was in NYC during Giuliani and Bloomberg. It was the Stop and Frisk activists, who organized and got lawyers to take the city of NYC to court who got NYC's Stop and Frisk ruled unconstitutional. It's been a lot of activists, mainly white people who have been getting marijuana legalized and other drugs decriminalized (In Oregon six drugs have been decriminalized). Of course now that white people overdose on opiods addiction is a public health and not a criminal concern (NAACP and other old guard civil rights activists did nothing when Black people were criminalized or dehumanized).

I'll say it again, it is not okay to have one or two Black professionals, while the majority of Blacks are otherwise marginalized or otherwise persecuted. The Civil Rights Movement allowed just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:00 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Oh but you do care what a white person thinks of you. .


I don't live in a low income black community and I suspect neither do you. So why would I live in a low income white community?


When we first encountered each other you were wailing about all those West Indians who were "destroying your quality of life". You moved. And then your boasts about how many white people who you hang out with and engaging in some activities that I will not mention here, though you did.


I happen to work in an office where I am the only black professional, or one of two, and that is been pretty much my experience in the 30+ years that I have been functioning as a professional in this country.


I care about what whites think that when it prevents me from getting what I want or need.


I do NOT care if some white idiot invites every one else in the office to an event that he is hosting, except me. In fact I am relieved as it means that I don't have to spend an entire afternoon being around people who I don't have anything in common with. You would cry and wail if that were to happen to you though.


I will ask you do YOU think that most whites are open bigots or have opinions in sympathy with them? Please note that you are a man who loves to boast that you aren't interested in blacks and in fact deliberately travel to places where you aren't likely to meet many.


Unlike you I actually love hanging out with educated and interesting black people. My self esteem doesn't depend on whether whites invite me into the intimacy of their lives or not.


As to my political leanings. I voted for Hillary. I voted for Obama twice. I voted for Kerry, I voted for Gore. I voted for Clinton twice. Before that I wasn't a US citizen so couldn't vote. Now wail that this is an indication of being a conservative person. In the primaries I voted for Obama in 2008 and for Hillary in 2016. In 1992 I didn't know enough about US politics so only voted in the general.


Ironically my so called conservative views might be more aligned to traditional black American values than yours are. Blacks are actually a conservative people, which is why Sanders wasn't a huge hit with them.


Yes the black values (both American and Caribbean) that demanded personal responsibility and trying twice as hard to succeed. You are so alienated from who you are, begging whites to love you, and crying, when you suspect that not all do, that you forgot this. Now some blacks forgot those values and then wonder why they lack the skillset or the mentality to even be given the opportunity to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:10 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't know what the average white American is. Many of them, even those without a college degree do indeed vacation in Europe and many of the ones in NYC are just a two or three generations from Europe.

So claim that there are no ties between white Americans and Europeans is just plain stupid.

And as noted, the educated ones definitely go to Europe to study and for business and the wealthy ones will even own homes in Europe.


Why don't we discuss what Europeans think of them? European tour guides love to laugh at Americans. While the British concede it as a former colony they see it as one that went seriously wrong, unlike Canada. A lawless country where it is easier to buy a gun that to get quality healthcare. Where the police patrol entire neighborhoods as if they are war zones.


People who live in Europe just don't understand this.


The Irish and the Italians laugh when Americans with those ancestral origins call themselves "Irish American" or "Italian American," the latter almost always not knowing a lick of Italian. Much like those black Americans who traveled to Gambia after Roots appeared on TV and kissed the ground screaming "I am home".




70% of white Americans didn't graduate from college. The vast majority of Americans aren't able to conduct any conversation with any depth unless its about their families, homes, sports or stock portfolios. This being why they voted in a jackass who is providing huge revenues for every comedian in the world from Canada right down to Zambia. Watch Trevor Noah when he talks about how Africans see him as being akin to some of their dangerous dictators.


So your assertion that educated Americans have a strong in depth interest in Europe speaks to a tiny minority. Look at the mediocrity of US media programming compared to that offered by the BBC. The BBC is a mass network with intelligent programming. To get anything like that in the USA one must seek niche programming such as NPR, watched by a sliver of the population.


This is why Trump is president. There is NO way that the UK or France would elect a moron that Americans just did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But CaribNY, I don't think you do. You hide behind an anonymous name on the internet, where it's safe and where there cannot be any potential career damage.

.


So is your name Mr. NyWriterdude? I think not so in fact you are as anonymous as I am so unqualified to talk about what I do or don't do.


And I assume that you think that a 5 year old can be wiser than you. In your years of life there aren't lessons or experiences, good or bad, that have given you a deeper understanding of what life is.


So a 5 year old can be a fountain of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
. I have to seriously disagree about this notion that the civil rights movement was a "failure". Serious and meaningful legal battles were indeed won. .


The man wasn't born in the 60s and most likely not the 70s. He knows life in the more enlightened 90s so can scream that the civil rights movement achieved nothing. Life is so easy that he can sail into whatever he wants with his Ivy League degree. That was NOT possible even as recently as the early 80s!


He insults those who struggled so that he can achieve this.


I can well imagine him insulting his parents by calling them old and stupid, and so not listening to what they experienced and how they had to attempt to succeed despite the barriers.


Apparently he didn't know his history either or he would have known that MLKs next battle was to struggle for social class equality.


In fact much of what he accuses the civil rights movement of not addressing is in fact better addressed with a CLASS struggle than a racial struggle. The largest body of poor in this country are in fact non Hispanic whites.


The focus of the civil rights movement was to remove the legal barriers to upward mobility for blacks, or to ensure that there was legislation barring racial discrimination. It succeeded in that endeavor. Should it have had a broader focus, with more emphasis on empowerment and less on integration? Sure! But that struggle was better done by others.


Insufficient investment in social infrastructure and the adoption of an economic system of laissez-faire capitalism, which accelerated under Ronald Reagan, as in fact did the "War on Drugs" was a larger struggle. MLK was shot before that happened, and cynics will say that his attempt to develop cross racial alliances between the white and nonwhite poor might well have been the reason why he had to be removed. History will show that the power structure always does what it can whenever attempts are made to develop this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:29 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'll say it again, it is not okay to have one or two Black professionals, while the majority of Blacks are otherwise marginalized or otherwise persecuted. The Civil Rights Movement allowed just that.


Maybe you spend too much time in Colombia where this in fact happens. I can name more than 2 black Fortune 500 CEOs, or chairmen without blinking an eyelid.


I think you spend too much time hanging around whites that you are unaware of the thousands of blacks in professional and management who exist! You INSULT them!


And I repeat. 30% of black households in this country have higher earnings than do 50% of whites. You are like a white racist screaming that blacks are a lazy bunch of losers, even though that isn't your intent (at least I hope it isn't).


Yes there is severe income inequality among blacks and that must be addressed. But for you to disregard that the fact millions of blacks have struggled, and succeeded against the odds is to INSULT their efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 09:10 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So is your name Mr. NyWriterdude? I think not so in fact you are as anonymous as I am so unqualified to talk about what I do or don't do.


And I assume that you think that a 5 year old can be wiser than you. In your years of life there aren't lessons or experiences, good or bad, that have given you a deeper understanding of what life is.


So a 5 year old can be a fountain of wisdom.
All my writings about the issues I've mentioned are under my actual name, and I'm pretty open about it.

I'm not anonymous. A simple google will find my work. I've actually posted links to stuff I've written on City Data, but self promotion is a violation of TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top