Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times

Advertisements

I might add that in the North where the grandmothers and grandfathers DID come up, they culturally stabilized many of the
Northern black communities where they had de facto segregation. See the video "Wylie Avenue Days". In the 80's I think
is when Black Americans became "lost" as the grandmothers and grandfathers started to die off and nothing was transmitted in many cases.

Richard Wright predicted that after the civil rights era, blacks would become lost as in now what? wandering aimless then he
said that's when the trouble will really begin. First time confronted with what to keep and what not to keep.

I saw one black program where the young activists were running to the old civil rights veterans "Oh what are we suppose to do? in the wake of the current social and political climate.

Psychologically pure and simple we stopped defining our selves, and started to let others define us: The racists, the politicians, gangsta rappers, athletes, media creations. I think "THE TALK' stopped being talked in many homes.

In the sixties, I felt my sub-culture in my de-facto segregated black neighborhood in the north was SUPERIOR in terms of
style, music, religion I was taught I was BETTER THAN any white racist I might encounter, before going out the door. I did
not take any nonsense.

When the soulful culture stopped being transmitted and/or forgotten Black Americans started INTERNALIZING THE STEREOTYPES from the outside as their self-image.

Some of these people are now over-sensitive,self-hating and look for "microaggressions" and want "safe-spaces". They have NO ORIGINAL cultural psychological defenses of THEIR OWN to fall back on.

The solution would be to get the REMAINING people from the old culture to transmit the values, purge the "gangsta" values
from current black culture. As far as religion, get rid of the prosperity infection out of all of these churches and expose it for
the hustle that it is. emphasis on education, upward mobility, take a lesson from successful black immigrants.

I would add, more teaching in Black Churches in reading the Bible in context with original Greek and Hebrew meanings of the English words and less emphasis on EMOTIONALISM ONLY it has its place, dancing and hollering is fine, but what did you learn that will help you during the week?

There is a need to re-know who you are, who you are as a people in the world and in this country, where you come from,things of that nature.

This is a sub-section of the major problem of the breakdown of the general American culture. (the dumbing-down, loss of common civility,
social isolation, family break-down, EVERYBODY IS CLAIMING VICTIMHOOD from the racists to the gangstas.

Last edited by Agbor; 09-02-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 11:32 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But that didn't happen, and what has happened is that an urban black way of existence("Chiraqs" and "Blackistans")--I hesitate to call it "culture"--has developed that feeds upon itself. It cripples its fathers, injures its mothers, and devours its children. It's a dead end.

Sadly many, including many younger blacks, think that this is "black culture" No its a media developed "culture" aimed at selling hip hop to white suburban boys who are well insulted from its damaging effects. Every time I see performers from the 60s and 70s and even the 80s and I see what we have now I just shake my head at how we have fallen as a people, even as some of us have achieved upward mobility.

The same slackness is also visible among Caribbean people where extreme vulgarity is promoted as " we culture".

Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
When the soulful culture stopped being transmitted and/or forgotten Black Americans started INTERNALIZING THE STEREOTYPES from the outside as their self-image.

Some of these people are now over-sensitive,self-hating and look for "microaggressions" and want "safe-spaces". They have NO ORIGINAL cultural psychological defenses of THEIR OWN to fall back on.

To see the shallowness of contemporary black culture one only need to compare the Cosby show and other black shows of the 80s and early 90s with shows like "Blackish, " and anything with the Wayans brothers in it.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Sadly many, including many younger blacks, think that this is "black culture" No its a media developed "culture" aimed at selling hip hop to white suburban boys who are well insulted from its damaging effects. Every time I see performers from the 60s and 70s and even the 80s and I see what we have now I just shake my head at how we have fallen as a people, even as some of us have achieved upward mobility.

The same slackness is also visible among Caribbean people where extreme vulgarity is promoted as " we culture".
This is the exact point I have been trying to make all along As far as "Blackish" is concerned, it is
very annoying to me. As far as the Wayans, I felt things started going down hill with "Living Color"
Now, they have an upcoming one in the fall about a rapper who becomes mayor by accident and shows his ignorance in office.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM

I tried to be open-minded and give "Blackish" a chance, but to me a lot of the topics are over-analyzed. They do try to
stay with current events. The character reaction to events seems to involve deep psychoanalysis of the person. To me, it is
too much information and overdone.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:13 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

There was a scene in Spike Lee's semi-autobiographical "Crooklyn" in which the family takes a trip "back home" to visit the relatives in South Carolina.

Now, we've seen this sequence in some other movies, particularly those depicting black women. The young black woman--lost in her life in the north--goes back south, connects with a grandmother or great-aunt--and finds herself again.

But in Spike Lee's film, that cultural connection is not made on their trip south.

I don't know if Lee said something intentional or accidental. Is Lee saying that there was nothing to be gained for them in the south--that the southern black culture is irrelevant? Or is he saying that the continued dissolution of that family was because they failed to make the connection?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I tried to be open-minded and give "Blackish" a chance, but to me a lot of the topics are over-analyzed. They do try to
stay with current events. The character reaction to events seems to involve deep psychoanalysis of the person. To me, it is
too much information and overdone.
I think an examination of "Black-ish" would reveal something unintentional.

Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Now, let's imagine that happened. What would be the consequence for the culture that Martin Luther King grew up in and has become the icon for?

What we see in "Black-ish" is that for the children of that family, it largely has happened.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think an examination of "Black-ish" would reveal something unintentional.

Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Now, let's imagine that happened. What would be the consequence for the culture that Martin Luther King grew up in and has become the icon for?

What we see in "Black-ish" is that for the children of that family, it largely has happened.
I would say the consequence would be that the psychological elements of the culture that developed as a
psychological defense against racism would be dis-guarded and become irrelevant. Basically the guard would
be let down as it would be viewed as not needed.

So if the culture evolved as a reaction to surviving slavery and Jim Crow and American racism, and racism
disappears then the cultural question becomes "Who Am I Now?"

I think the guard was dropped PREMATURELY and many Black Millennials are in the "Who AM I NOW?"
stage which would explain all the crazy going on with many of them.

That is like the premature argument of a "Post Racial America". While the kids in "Blackish" may think it
has largely happened for them...if they run into it will they know how to handle it? Racism has been reduced
but not eliminated.

The guard was dropped prematurely and no culture was being developed to replace it or develop along side
of it.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 AM

A lot of this has to do with "Integration" which started in the 60s also.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 960,657 times
Quote:
A lot of this has to do with "Integration" which started in the 60s also.
Alot of blame goes to black leadership and the so called intelligentsia. Their embrace of some of the worst aspects of extreme far left thought, some of which the black community could have done without. Specifically, cultural relativism and a kind of helpless, impotent victimhood. I'm a liberal guy but these two things I particularly dislike about the far left because it has ill served certain groups.

These ideological currents created in them aversion to internal criticism and the acknowledgement of the significance of internal cultural attributes in the success of peoples. In their minds to do so amounts to "victim blaming".
The first (and worst) public manifestation of this was in the now obviously tragically foolish reaction to the 1965 Moynihan Report. It was a fundamentally liberal analysis, not a conservative propoganda piece as they treated it. A responsible leadership heeds its warnings (which were surely already known to them) and takes ownership of future analysis and aggressively addresses the internal cultural flaws and weaknesses and nips in the bud harmful currents becore they get out of control.

Unfortunately they were too ideologically wired to address what the leaders of every other community were keen to do. And even today that the consequences are indisputable, the victimology dogmatists cant admit the prime importance of culture and values and will attempt to shout down anyone who attempts to address these issues.

This is the same group of ineffectual fools who when addressing the academic underperformance, dropuot rates..etc, they dogmatically only allow themselves to mention school funding, when the prime culprits are obviously parenting and cultural deficiencies. These same people have wasted decades attacking testing as "culturally biased", pipe dreaming that they will deligitamize and eventually discard testing . During this period had they instead been attacking the internal flaws that are the primary cause, many gaps would have closed substantially. Inner city Chicago would not be the shytshow that it is now.
THAT in my opinion has heen the great strategic failure of black leadership in the post civil rights era.

Last edited by TheArchitect; 09-03-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa