U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No sexism, but my point is that there needs to be a specific plan in order to integrate said folks into the workforce and small business, if anything, is needed in said communities. Small businesses employ most people as well. I'm not saying it is the be all, end all, but small businesses have the potential to be bigger businesses.

I understand what the GI Bill has done, a son of a Vietnam vet, a brother of a Gulf War vet and as a vet myself. Ironically, my brother and I already had degrees when we entered the military and didn't get the GI Bill. I'm not sure what he got in the Air Force, but I got the Loan Repayment Plan, which pays a third of your college loans over 3 years. I did have to owe taxes for 2 of the 3 years, as it is viewed as being income. I say this to say that the GI Bill isn't given to all that enlist in the military. So, there has to be other avenues for the community to help built up its neighborhoods and allowing it to do so through regulations that make it easier, as well as through community institutions coming together in order to look out for the greater good.
Or at certain points people have to take individual responsibility for themselves. It's up to the individual to decide how he or she wants to live, where he or she wants to live, and to work towards that goal.

No one person is going to have the "grand" solution for all Black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I went to Cornell and Columbia and I have no problem dealing with them and have already been hired by "them". When you make ASSumptions you make an @SS out of yourself.

I'm wondering if you've ever even worked. You do realize people don't discuss politics during interviews, and in many quarters it's considered unprofessional to discuss politics on the job? You're displaying an extremely low level of intelligence here.

First Lady Michelle Obama is from the South side of Chicago, now considered one of the toughest urban areas in this country. She had no problem being hired.
I might also add that since my social circle is "them" from attending two Ivy league universities and from being active in a number of organizations, my sociopolitical views are not a problem for "them". "Them" tends to be politically progressive (the types of white people in media, tech, academia, and the professional spheres in the Northeast, in California, and in Europe). CaribNY was more accurate in his assessment of my political interests, after all I'm a Bernie supporter just like "them".

This isn't my story, but "them" loves to hire Blacks and other minorities who come up with tales (whether true or not) of struggling to rise above inner city hardship. "Them" feels good because it can use such people to say how progressive they are and how they are not racist. I personally am not an ambassador like that.

You're out of the loop Ralph. Any black person (or other minority) who wants to move into the business or professional world can do so, provided they put in the work and demonstrate the talent. Of course just like anyone else they'll need support.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No sexism, but my point is that there needs to be a specific plan in order to integrate said folks into the workforce and small business, if anything, is needed in said communities. Small businesses employ most people as well. I'm not saying it is the be all, end all, but small businesses have the potential to be bigger businesses.

I understand what the GI Bill has done, a son of a Vietnam vet, a brother of a Gulf War vet and as a vet myself. Ironically, my brother and I already had degrees when we entered the military and didn't get the GI Bill. I'm not sure what he got in the Air Force, but I got the Loan Repayment Plan, which pays a third of your college loans over 3 years. I did have to owe taxes for 2 of the 3 years, as it is viewed as being income. I say this to say that the GI Bill isn't given to all that enlist in the military. So, there has to be other avenues for the community to help built up its neighborhoods and allowing it to do so through regulations that make it easier, as well as through community institutions coming together in order to look out for the greater good.
A Black owned small business that caters exclusively to Black people likely won't become a bigger business.
You'd need to diversify the people involved in the process and the customer/client base in order to grow it.

Look at Oprah's media empire. People of all races watch her tv shows, her network, her programs, etc. Of course she's a woman who always aimed at people of all races and maybe not what you wanted to see but she did pretty well.

In order for small businesses to become big businesses they need financing and investment, and at least some of that will have to come from non Blacks. Companies with white CEOs have no problem having major Arab, African, Latin, or Asian or whatever investors of whatever race, and they will be on the board of directors as well.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:52 PM

9,958 posts, read 6,898,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do any of you live in places where the two meet? If so what have their interactions been like?
First off, my experience is my experience and proves or disproves nothing about whats generally true about how the two group see or interact with one another.

I live in a metro area, Minneapolis, where about 20% of the black population is "African".

I am African American.

That having been said, since moving to Minneapolis I have made more friends with Africans than African Americans. It's really been a seamless interaction for me. There are cultural differences but once people know you are genuine and do not look down upon them, they don't take your display of ignorance to heart.

The one thing I learned though, from attending many African social gatherings and functions.....is that CPT must have originated in Africa....lol.

I love my African brothers and sisters and my African American brother and sisters. Its one family to me.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A Black owned small business that caters exclusively to Black people likely won't become a bigger business.
You'd need to diversify the people involved in the process and the customer/client base in order to grow it.

Look at Oprah's media empire. People of all races watch her tv shows, her network, her programs, etc. Of course she's a woman who always aimed at people of all races and maybe not what you wanted to see but she did pretty well.

In order for small businesses to become big businesses they need financing and investment, and at least some of that will have to come from non Blacks. Companies with white CEOs have no problem having major Arab, African, Latin, or Asian or whatever investors of whatever race, and they will be on the board of directors as well.
I never said or even implied that such a business would exclusively serve just Black people and of course there will need to be some personal responsibility.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
First off, my experience is my experience and proves or disproves nothing about whats generally true about how the two group see or interact with one another.

I live in a metro area, Minneapolis, where about 20% of the black population is "African".

I am African American.

That having been said, since moving to Minneapolis I have made more friends with Africans than African Americans. It's really been a seamless interaction for me. There are cultural differences but once people know you are genuine and do not look down upon them, they don't take your display of ignorance to heart.

The one thing I learned though, from attending many African social gatherings and functions.....is that CPT must have originated in Africa....lol.

I love my African brothers and sisters and my African American brother and sisters. Its one family to me.
Similar experience here in Syracuse, where there are quite a few African refugees/immigrants from South Sudan, Somalia and parts of West Africa like Togo, as well as college students. While it hasn't been perfect in general, I've had nothing but positive interactions and that appears to be the case as a whole from what I've seen.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 PM

691 posts, read 920,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

I am African American.

I was invited to a Nigerian Independence Day program once...the event was to start at 7:30pm. It did not
start until 8:40pm. The host got up to apologize to the audience for starting on Nigerian Time (looking at
the whites in the audience). He took a quick glance at the AAs in the audience and said "You understand".

When I explained CP Time to my SL friend he said "Oh, back home we call that BMT black man's time.

What I find interesting is when AAs meet Africans in Africa and they run up against cultural things they
never anticipated. I am reading a book about a group of AAs who were AfroCentric and part of a Black
Hebrew group. who were invited to Ghana by a Ghanaian who had befriended them in the States.

They went to a town called Cape Coast in Ghana, they were unaware that they were also in the borders
of a traditional tribal state kingdom with a traditional ruler. One day they were walking in the street an a
man randomly runs up to them and says they are wanted at the palace.

"Palace what palace? "Oh you are in the Traditional Area of the Oguaa State, the king saw foreigners on
his streets and it is custom to meet the king when you come into his kingdom.'" They got to the royal
court to await an audience with the king, some of the guys saw drums and thought they could just go and
play them while waiting.

They soon found out they were royal drums and no one but certain people could touch them and they were
only used to call the people. So they broke 2 taboos already by just being there.

Also during their trip, after they met with the king, he liked them and the ice was broken. There was a
festival coming up on the day after the group left but a ritual took place the day before..The group was
out and about in town a group of men suddenly surrounded one of the American guys. They grabbed him
jumped him and took him away to a undisclosed location, a kidnapping, the Americans thought they were
being mugged.

Come to find out, the day before the official festival a ritual kidnapping takes place where unsuspecting
people are kidnapped off of the streets at random. This kingdom has seven castes/guilds with each with
a different sacred shrine area with colors and symbols. with its own sub-chief. The Americans who were
kidnapped were taken by various companies to fill up their ranks. warriors, iron-workers etc. An elaborate
ritual was performed and the AAs were being initiated into the 7 various companies of the Fante
people and into the tribe.

Some of the AAs found the custom very unsettling and needed more information as to what they were
being forced into(and why) and when approached some ran like hell back to the hotel. Bur these were Afro-Centric people.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 PM

691 posts, read 920,910 times
They called them Obruni(foreign/white) brothers and sisters and strange Africans. I thought it was interesting in that they acknowledged a
sense of kinship and non-kinship at the same time.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,450,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Your problem is that you aren't comfortable with yourself as a black man and need to be validated by whites, so your focus on the fact that whites don't love you. You notice the micro aggressions (such a millennial word). So what if some one is ignorant. Their loss! You aren't going to be attacked in NYC, or other major cities. f you go to Billy Bobland seeking white love then that is your problem

So what if whites don't love you. Once they cannot prevent you from achieving your goals who cares. And sufficient numbers of blacks have achieved some degree of upward mobility (30% of black households now earn higher than the median white household income) to suggest that all isn't lost.

And face it. An educated black has more opportunities in the USA than in any other society dominated by non blacks with the possible exception of Canada. And I emphasize POSSIBLE. Better than in Europe and DEFINITELY better than Latin America, though I will admit that if love from whites is your goal, even at the cost of being poor, then by all means blacks are better off there. But it takes some one of real low self esteem to accept that as a tradeoff.

The Democratic party got stomped because it is controlled by a combination of arrogant rich liberal celebrities (Hillary's group) and ultra left wing activist nuts (Bernie maniacs). Neither reflecting the mindset of most Americans, black or white.

The drop in turn out by the black vote in the Midwest was LARGER than the margin of Trump victories in those states. Had blacks turned up to vote in the same numbers as they did for Obama then Trump would have lost.

Funny that Obama won TWICE in the Midwest and won a moderately higher % of the white votes than any white candidate since Jimmy Carter, even doing better than Bill Clinton. Please recall that had Perot not split the white vote Bill Clinton would NOT have been president.

There is a concept called the Obama-Trump voter and many exist in the Midwest. So if these people are card carrying racists then why did they vote for Obama in 2012. Their vote is a reflection of the sickness which ails BOTH the GOP and the Democratic parties.

The nut cases screaming "white power" voted for every GOP candidate since Nixon so why the liberal rage that they did it once again?
Amen. The cowardice many blacks have towards whites is somewhat baffling to me. Many of the whites exposed marching in the neo-nazi brigade in Charlotte worked in food service. I'm supposed to lose my senses over a racist hot dog vendor, really?

Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 PM

909 posts, read 669,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I was invited to a Nigerian Independence Day program once...the event was to start at 7:30pm. It did not
start until 8:40pm. The host got up to apologize to the audience for starting on Nigerian Time (looking at
the whites in the audience). He took a quick glance at the AAs in the audience and said "You understand".

When I explained CP Time to my SL friend he said "Oh, back home we call that BMT black man's time.

What I find interesting is when AAs meet Africans in Africa and they run up against cultural things they
never anticipated. I am reading a book about a group of AAs who were AfroCentric and part of a Black
Hebrew group. who were invited to Ghana by a Ghanaian who had befriended them in the States.

They went to a town called Cape Coast in Ghana, they were unaware that they were also in the borders
of a traditional tribal state kingdom with a traditional ruler. One day they were walking in the street an a
man randomly runs up to them and says they are wanted at the palace.

"Palace what palace? "Oh you are in the Traditional Area of the Oguaa State, the king saw foreigners on
his streets and it is custom to meet the king when you come into his kingdom.'" They got to the royal
court to await an audience with the king, some of the guys saw drums and thought they could just go and
play them while waiting.

They soon found out they were royal drums and no one but certain people could touch them and they were
only used to call the people. So they broke 2 taboos already by just being there.

Also during their trip, after they met with the king, he liked them and the ice was broken. There was a
festival coming up on the day after the group left but a ritual took place the day before..The group was
out and about in town a group of men suddenly surrounded one of the American guys. They grabbed him
jumped him and took him away to a undisclosed location, a kidnapping, the Americans thought they were
being mugged.

Come to find out, the day before the official festival a ritual kidnapping takes place where unsuspecting
people are kidnapped off of the streets at random. This kingdom has seven castes/guilds with each with
a different sacred shrine area with colors and symbols. with its own sub-chief. The Americans who were
kidnapped were taken by various companies to fill up their ranks. warriors, iron-workers etc. An elaborate
ritual was performed and the AAs were being initiated into the 7 various companies of the Fante
people and into the tribe.

Some of the AAs found the custom very unsettling and needed more information as to what they were
being forced into(and why) and when approached some ran like hell back to the hotel. Bur these were Afro-Centric people.

What's the name of the book? Also, it sounds like their host should have done a better job of making them know the local customs. I think anybody, even someone from another part of Africa, would be freaked out when being grabbed and jumped by strangers on the street if they didn't know the back story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or