U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 06:05 PM

691 posts, read 921,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
What's the name of the book? Also, it sounds like their host should have done a better job of making them know the local customs. I think anybody, even someone from another part of Africa, would be freaked out when being grabbed and jumped by strangers on the street if they didn't know the back story.
It is called "Returning Home Ain't Easy but It Sure is a Blessing" The host invited the group to come to
Ghana for his enstoolment as he was next in line to a throne...In the book there were many instances
where the group was ready to strangle the host, dealing with bad hotels, no running water, bucket showers
having to pay bribes to get services, getting evicted almost, things that in the States would go smoothly as
basic routines. They felt for the money they paid they should have gotten good services. They were of course
used to First World standards.

One aspect I found interesting was how on the streets some people called out to them saying Obruni brother and sisters welcome Jamaican?, Black American?, Rasta? Obruni means white/foreign/person from across the sea, not one of us, called "strange Africans" also. It was interesting how they acknowledged kinship and non-kinship at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 12:51 PM

24,247 posts, read 17,660,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Amen. The cowardice many blacks have towards whites is somewhat baffling to me. Many of the whites exposed marching in the neo-nazi brigade in Charlotte worked in food service. I'm supposed to lose my senses over a racist hot dog vendor, really?
The racist hot dog vendor can easily get a job as a police officer and beat or kill a random black man. We've had quite a bit of this.

Essentially Trump made it to put those attitudes out in the open, and coming from large numbers of people it can get ugly. This kind of populism swept Hitler into power. The US has constitutional checks to prevent something like this from happening, but still the public must be on regard and ready to fight if necessary.

And really, spare me the hot dog vendor comment. Today's hotdog vendor can be tomorrow's politician, and this is true of anyone of any race.

Many people who are middle class or even wealthy have started out their first few jobs in food service.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The racist hot dog vendor can easily get a job as a police officer and beat or kill a random black man. We've had quite a bit of this.

Essentially Trump made it to put those attitudes out in the open, and coming from large numbers of people it can get ugly. This kind of populism swept Hitler into power. The US has constitutional checks to prevent something like this from happening, but still the public must be on regard and ready to fight if necessary.

And really, spare me the hot dog vendor comment. Today's hotdog vendor can be tomorrow's politician, and this is true of anyone of any race.

Many people who are middle class or even wealthy have started out their first few jobs in food service.
The media likes to paint the rural and/or poor white as the socio-economic racist because he/she is broke
and resentful. However, that is only PARTLY true. Embracement of fascist/racist and racial resentment
attitudes also come from the white or mostly white suburbs and ex-burbs, these are areas outside of cities but not exactly rural either. These people are the plumbers, firemen, electricians,maintenance engineers,
small-business owners, own real estate (uh huh)...They are not the 1 percent, they are middle-class, lower-
middle class, upper middle class with their little backyard pools, barbeque pits, basement game-rooms.

This group includes police officers who come to work in the city and patrol black neighborhoods, so they
might arrive with predisposed bias in the first place. I live in the Rust Belt and know some of these people
and have been stopped and frisked and asked a bunch of questions( because of what someone ELSE did.

(We all look alike)

They perceive blacks, immigrants (non-white) (I never hear complaints about Eastern European or Russian
immigrants) There was a gypsy issue once in a small town.) as a threat to what they have and perceive to
be their culture.

The guys carrying the torches look like square, non-hip preppy suburbanites. Not saying that all people in
the suburbs are racist, but this demographic should not be overlooked.

As far as attitudes, I am not surprised one bit, the second after Obama got elected in 2009 I said to
friends the bigots will come out of the wood work...Several months later the Tea Party showed up from
there on up to Charlotte and torches.

We were at lunch one day at work in a large cafeteria talking about how much Obama was disrespected
(this was while he was in office). We were sitting at a long table with other people so this one white guy
who we did not know, well when he got up to leave he glared at us and violently slammed his chair into
the table. I thought "Don't let me have to open up a can of whup-a$$".

The issue is not being scared of white people, its about paying attention to your surroundings, the hot-dog vendor might be out drinking with some of his buddies and run into you on the street. Social or Anti-Social
interaction. For example, a black guy related to me how he stopped at a bar to pick up a six pack, so a
group of guys were at another table, one guy sees him, starts making Obama jokes, he tells the bartender
thats trouble and the bartender does not do anything as he was waiting, this guy moves closer and closer
making comments, gets next to him and pushes him.

So my friend punched the guy out, knocks him to the floor, the guy who started it wanted to sue, case
thrown out of court. In another case, some young white guys jumped a 65 year old black guy and threw
him on the subway tracks, one of the guys was the son of a mayor of a suburban boro. So things have
the potential to jump off and get ugly.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Research has shown that in countries when ethnic conflicts take place between historically dominant and subordinate groups..
when the subordinate group gains some power, the dominant group claims injustice and reverse discrimination. In countries
with a strong government, the dominant group resorts changing laws in the justice system to re assert power.

In countries with a weak governmental system massacres take place as the dominant group seeks to re-assert power
(for example, in Rwanda).

I think with the rise in physical hate crimes, the U.S. is in between but way above the level of outright massacre.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 PM

909 posts, read 670,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
It is called "Returning Home Ain't Easy but It Sure is a Blessing" The host invited the group to come to
Ghana for his enstoolment as he was next in line to a throne...In the book there were many instances
where the group was ready to strangle the host, dealing with bad hotels, no running water, bucket showers
having to pay bribes to get services, getting evicted almost, things that in the States would go smoothly as
basic routines. They felt for the money they paid they should have gotten good services. They were of course
used to First World standards.

One aspect I found interesting was how on the streets some people called out to them saying Obruni brother and sisters welcome Jamaican?, Black American?, Rasta? Obruni means white/foreign/person from across the sea, not one of us, called "strange Africans" also. It was interesting how they acknowledged kinship and non-kinship at the same time.
Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:41 PM

20,231 posts, read 11,216,518 times
Quote:
I went to Cornell and Columbia and I have no problem dealing with them and have already been hired by "them". When you make ASSumptions you make an @SS out of yourself.

I'm wondering if you've ever even worked. You do realize people don't discuss politics during interviews, and in many quarters it's considered unprofessional to discuss politics on the job? You're displaying an extremely low level of intelligence here.

First Lady Michelle Obama is from the South side of Chicago, now considered one of the toughest urban areas in this country. She had no problem being hired.
You still don't get it. You totally don't get it.

Neither you nor Michelle would get hired by a young X-Gen or Millennial start-up, and you don't seem to have a clue why you wouldn't.

Totally missed the boat.

You think that since you went to Cornell and Columbia, if the young X-Gen or Millennial start-up doesn't hire you, it must be racism.

No, it's not racism, it's culture. They'd hire a young black guy from the same background, playing the same video games, eating the same foods, watching the same movies, reading the same comic books, attending the same SF conventions, played the same sports in school, have a brother in Afganistan, and posters of both Beyonce and Margot Robbie on their walls.

And there are such young black X-Genners and Millennials.

We have to make sure we don't saddle them with the same hang-ups as you and I have--yes, you clearly have them too--because they are in a generation with a wholly different set up hang-ups that are not focused on race per se.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 09-10-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,947,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll go a step further and say black male entrepreneurship should be a big topic of discussion..
We endlessly talk about this. Time for action. How many of us try to find black owned businesses or black professionals. If we don't seek them out in our daily lives, and there is no law that says that we should, we need to stop babbling about black entrepreneurship.

There are now more black owned businesses in the USA than there has been at anytime in our history, so we need to stop pretending that they don't exist.

The fact that blacks don't dominate corner stores is because corner stores are low yielding businesses and there are other ethnic groups better set up to compete in this arena than are blacks. In fact over the past 10 years there has been a 30% decline in black owned retail establishments in NYC, gentrification, and its impact on rents, being a big reason for this.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No one is going to be employed if they are locked behind bars, or if they have been killed by the police.

As for obtaining employment, the individual has responsibilities in figuring out the best way to get employment.
Be honest way more black men are killed by other black men, and the reason for that is because they aren't engaged in the official economy, so become trapped in an underground economy and this is the side effect.

I don't see police killing Indians in the same amounts and they are sometimes as dark as we are. In the dark many Hispanics will look white, at first glance, yet they will be harassed more than will an Indian, though less than will a black.

Reason. They are more likely to be engaged in underground economic activities. And I have a suspicion that in NYC Puerto Ricans get more roughed up by the police than are Mexicans.

So unless one addresses the economic issue your cause will be viewed in time as being as much of a failure as you view the civil rights movement.

This is the reality. If one doesn't want cockroaches around (in this case police) one tries to reduce that which interests them. Cockroaches arrive where food and water exists. Cops arrive when people are engaged in underground activities.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Even if you're in a country where the vast majority of people are of the same race, .
Name a society where a group of people are stigmatized and economically marginalized and I will name a society where there is high crime and high levels of police brutality.

I suggest the focus be on addressing the issues which serve to economically exclude certain groups of people, then there will be less societal demand for certain groups to be intensely policed.

Please remember that the "War on Drugs" wasn't only demanded by conservative whites. Many black communities in the crack infested 1980s and 90s tired of the endless drive by shootings, identified gang bangers as being responsible and then demanded more police protection.

So why do these gangs exist? That should be the question asked and answered, and economic marginalization will pop up as one of the root causes at some point.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I think there's a bit of class prejudice on this thread from some people, not to mention dehumanization of poor Black people. Yes poor Black people from the so called wrong side of town can and do get professional jobs. It will take a lot of work and they most likely need a lot of support but it happens.
Yes the biggest class prejudice comes from those blacks who want other blacks to remain poor, and so don't think that addressing the reasons why they remain poor as being important.

Well once blacks remain poor there will be higher levels of crime, demands that poor black neighborhoods be more intensely policed, meaning that white kids will get away with sacks of opioids while blacks kids will be arrested for a dusting of weed.

Con Ed and other entities are digging up the streets of NYC doing various work. I pass many of these sites and I rarely see black men. I see Hispanics and NOT Mexicans. Clearly there is a connect between the fact that I don't see blacks working on these union jobsites where the pay is probably not that bad, and the fact that, face it, crime in NYC often has a black face.

It maybe a better use of your time to find out why aren't black men working on these sites, which are now predominantly manned by Hispanics who aren't Mexicans. These Hispanics live in the same environments as do many blacks yet seem able to land these jobs. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or