U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,947,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No sexism, but my point is that there needs to be a specific plan in order to integrate said folks into the workforce and small business, .
Well a job paying a decent wage for a starters at a minimum. A business isn't going to work if it lacks capital, the owner doesn't have expertise and if he isn't embedded within an economic network.

I was once asked to speak at one of the worst high schools in the Bronx to kids who were around. I asked the kids what were their ambitions. A few said that they wanted to open up various types of businesses, auto repair being a type that seemed to have special appeal.

I asked them how they planned to do this. The response was to find a job in a line of businesses that they eventually wanted to own, so that they will learn how it works and develop contacts within the industry. This came from so called inner city 16 y/o some who barely made it to class.

I suspect that if efforts were made to assist these kids with these goals there will be less of a need for BLM protests. Now if these clearly bright kids don't find a way to be integrated into the economy they will sink into the underground economy and then along will come the cops to harass them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or at certain points people have to take individual responsibility for themselves. It's up to the individual to decide how he or she wants to live, where he or she wants to live, and to work towards that goal.

No one person is going to have the "grand" solution for all Black people.
Now THAT looks like snobbery. Some people need more help than do others to even spot the goal.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 AM

122 posts, read 46,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Now THAT looks like snobbery. Some people need more help than do others to even spot the goal.
I'm against any program that uses skin color as the discriminating factor to determing who gets help and who does not. Thats the very definition of systematic racism. You wanna do economic status okay but not skin color. It goes againsg everything I was brought up to believe.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Some of the AAs found the custom very unsettling and needed more information as to what they were
being forced into(and why) and when approached some ran like hell back to the hotel. Bur these were Afro-Centric people.
And this is what happens to "pretend Africans". There is a video program called Grapevine that some one else posted in this thread. Bunch of interesting programs but several comments from Africans to well meaning AAs about leaving African culture alone. This because they lack the context to even begin to understand it. This being triggered by accusations that Beyoncé was "disrespecting" African culture as she was using cultural symbols out of context.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
What's the name of the book? Also, it sounds like their host should have done a better job of making them know the local customs. I think anybody, even someone from another part of Africa, would be freaked out when being grabbed and jumped by strangers on the street if they didn't know the back story.
The host might have expected that they would understand that one doesn't just jump into situations without asking. I don't think that if this royal figure was a politician in the USA and he had a band set up to play that the AAs would have just rushed up to him or began to touch the band's instruments.

So why did they think that this was OK in a foreign culture and especially in a very traditional region?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The type of people who start those companies ARE my classmates from Cornell and Columbia. I'm pretty active in Ivy League social networks and this includes the startup world.

So let me offer a theory. These people know you or know people who know you. Now suppose they did NOT know you? Would they even take the time to assess whether you had the right hard and soft skills?

Great you are part of that inner circle. Now what of the vast majority of black Millennials who aren't? These are the ones who the cops harass. Not "old" men like me or Ralph.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_turtles View Post
I'm against any program that uses skin color as the discriminating factor to determing who gets help and who does not. Thats the very definition of systematic racism. You wanna do economic status okay but not skin color. It goes againsg everything I was brought up to believe.
So for 300 years we have used skin color, and now we want to stop. But wait, we STILL use skin color. Do you want to tell me that only white men are qualified to occupy leadership roles, or is it that other white men who have these positions feel more comfortable with them than they do with others.

FACT. These black kids have been victimized because they are BLACK. They will not trust any system that pretends to be "color blind" because every night some cop reminds them that "color blindness" means blind to people of color.

I am not suggesting quotas. I am suggesting specially targeted programs which attempts to provide these kids with the tools to survive. Given that these kids have MORE CHALLENGES, one from being black and secondly from being black AND poor, they will have a lot of proving to do so will need to be BETTER equipped.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM

691 posts, read 921,404 times
Quote:
And this is what happens to "pretend Africans". There is a video program called Grapevine that some one else posted in this thread. Bunch of interesting programs but several comments from Africans to well meaning AAs about leaving African culture alone. This because they lack the context to even begin to understand it. This being triggered by accusations that Beyoncé was "disrespecting" African culture as she was using cultural symbols out of context.

There is no cultural reference point at all to relate to. Some of the other cultural clashes were interesting
one was where the author had a pet cat which disappeared, only to find out her maintainance guy had
cooked and eaten it, she had picked up enough Fante to overhear a conversation about her pets disappearance. As a Ghanaian told me, some tribes eat cats and dogs, some do not. It then dawned on her
why there were no stray dogs and cats roaming around in her area. There were marriage issues also.

One AA who had settled in Ghana wanted to marry a Ga local, the author sought out advice as she agreed
to represent the AA's family as he had no family in Ghana. The general custom demanded that a gift from
the groom's group be ritually presented to the bride-to-be mother and her family. The author first got advice
from on the type of gift from her Fante friends..Her instinct told her to ask a second opinion, so she asked a
Ga friend, come to find out, the first gift(Fante type) would be considered and INSULT if presented to a Ga
bride. The bride-to-be even agreed to help her work thru this.

One thing that stood out was how the layover at Lagos Airport was a complete nightmare. One guy came up
to the group saying he was a "Custom's Official", had no ID. said he had to collect the passports and docume
nts to process them. The group said" ok we will accompany you", ""oh no thats ok" Being from the "hood
they knew a con when they saw one. The guy then got mad and threw the passports back at the group.

Unknown people started removing the group's luggage from the luggage belt, it seemed like a lawless
free-for-all from the movie "Road Warrior".

I would also warn Diasporans who settle in Ghana to be extremely careful when a chief offers land to Diasporans (as several years back, a chief offered land two elderly AA sisters, a land dispute developed
and the two sisters were found murdered.). As stated, there are NO cultural reference points for Westerners in these situations.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,034,033 times
Quote:
We endlessly talk about this. Time for action. How many of us try to find black owned businesses or black professionals. If we don't seek them out in our daily lives, and there is no law that says that we should, we need to stop babbling about black entrepreneurship.

There are now more black owned businesses in the USA than there has been at anytime in our history, so we need to stop pretending that they don't exist.

The fact that blacks don't dominate corner stores is because corner stores are low yielding businesses and there are other ethnic groups better set up to compete in this arena than are blacks. In fact over the past 10 years there has been a 30% decline in black owned retail establishments in NYC, gentrification, and its impact on rents, being a big reason for this.
Good points.

Blacks that have the capital (or access to capital) to get a business off the ground may be less inclined to start something like a corner store because the profit margins aren't worth the trouble. Asian and Latino immigrants that start businesses usually do so because they don't have much choice. The immigrants with engineering, medical, finance and computer science degrees from U.S. universities aren't opening the little convenience stores or nail salons. Usually they have less education, but are able to grind themselves into middle class status so that their kids are able to get the professional degrees and take care of the family later on.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Good points.

.Usually they have less education, but are able to grind themselves into middle class status so that their kids are able to get the professional degrees and take care of the family later on.
Not necessarily less education as many of the Koreans were highly educated. However their English was poor and their college degrees weren't recognized in the USA. It is really only recently that South Korea is seen as a "developed" nation, so its likely that new Korean immigrants don't have this problem.

But you are correct when you state that these immigrant corner store owners don't want their kids to follow them. They want their kids into the Ivy league and then entering high level professions. Once they achieve this they then sell their businesses to whoever wishes to buy.

So I don't know why some black people think that the route to wealth is through owning a fruit & veg store, In fact I have over heard even some of the Arabs talking about studies in engineering. As soon as they get the degree they are GONE from the deli.

If blacks aren't able to enter the professions we will be even less likely to succeed in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or