U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2017, 04:56 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's your problem as the government curtails LEGAL immigration..
They already did since the 90s. Around that time folks like you were so happy that no more "coconuts" were going to take away your jobs.

This is why I question your motives at this point. People like you are caught up with an anti Trump hysteria and are just using people. You all are to blame for sending Haitians to Canada, and now its likely that Canada will deport them back to Haiti. Canada is very strict will illegal immigration, more than the USA is, yes, even under Trump!

Where were the protests in the 1990s? NO WHERE. The trade unions backed tightened immigration controls as did black American politicians. These tightened controls enjoyed BIPARTISAN support.

So spare me your condescending nonsense You don't give a damn about immigrants and know nothing about the history of immigration regulation.

All Trump is currently using to deport people are rules ALREADY IN PLACE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So again those changes would affect and reduce immigration across the board from third world countries and the fact that it simply accelerated under Trump.

Just a few years ago Obama was the "Deporter in Chief" in short order removing over 2 million people. Arresting people at job sites and not even giving them a chance to see to their children.

NOTHING from the likes of you all who now suddenly shed fake tears about "immigrants".

Suddenly "immigrants" become a political tool that people like you could use for your agenda because you hate Trump. Trump is using laws which CURRENTLY exist. And in fact most of the people that the DHS was harassing earlier this year already had orders for removal that came from the Obama era.

I have seen NOTHING from the likes of people like you about how to make it easier for those who are applying LEGALLY to enter the USA. I am seeing NOTHING from the likes of people like you to reverse the damage that BOTH Clinton and Gingrich, with the help of the TRADE UNIONS did to make life a misery for those attempting to immigrate legally.

I am not impressed by your sudden interest in "immigrants". This is just your latest political flavor of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 05:14 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think people should be able to live wherever they want. However, rich societies like the US cannot take in everyone from Guyana, Mexico, Pakistan, etc.

It's up to people from those countries and those societies to fix their nations. The 80s American immigrant ).
And so your true opinion comes out.

Do us a favor and stop pretending that you care about immigrants. You hate Trump and Trump PRETENDS to hate immigrants more than you do.

In fact these were the sentiments that people like you all made in the 90s, but now you have this fire rage with Trump suddenly you pretend that you are perfectly OK with millions of Mexicans walking over the border.

If Trump decided tomorrow to let in every Central American who wished to come you would be out screaming that this immigration is destroying America.

And for a man who screams that the Civil Rights movement achieved nothing I don't know why you are bothered with the loss of these rights. According to you we don't have these rights anyway because "old people" are so stupid and Millennials like you know everything.

As an "old person" I can tell you that those who don't learn their history are condemned to repeat it. I see you repeating all the mistakes of prior generations.

I look forward to meeting you in other 10 years when another generation calls you old and irrelevant. Yes my parents said that of theirs, and my generation said that of our parents. Now you repeat the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,654,209 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And so your true opinion comes out.

Do us a favor and stop pretending that you care about immigrants. You hate Trump and Trump PRETENDS to hate immigrants more than you do.

In fact these were the sentiments that people like you all made in the 90s, but now you have this fire rage with Trump suddenly you pretend that you are perfectly OK with millions of Mexicans walking over the border.

If Trump decided tomorrow to let in every Central American who wished to come you would be out screaming that this immigration is destroying America.

And for a man who screams that the Civil Rights movement achieved nothing I don't know why you are bothered with the loss of these rights. According to you we don't have these rights anyway because "old people" are so stupid and Millennials like you know everything.

As an "old person" I can tell you that those who don't learn their history are condemned to repeat it. I see you repeating all the mistakes of prior generations.

I look forward to meeting you in other 10 years when another generation calls you old and irrelevant. Yes my parents said that of theirs, and my generation said that of our parents. Now you repeat the cycle.
No, I don't hate immigrants, nor did I say immigration should end.

I did say that the entire third world CANNOT move to the US, and that a number of people will have to work on fixing those societies and improving them so masses of people won't feel the need to live in the US. The number of people living in poverty in a massive country like India exceeds the total population of the US, and of course exceeds the total population of any individual European country.

In short Western countries cannot take in every poor person that might dream of moving to the West or the US to make it big. Therefore people in these countries are going to have to find ways to make these countries better for the majority of people. With that said, Western countries will always allow some immigrants. How many are allowed in depends on political and socioeconomic factors.

So do I think we should have immigration? Yes, and regulated. Do I think we should take in millions of immigrants per year? No, we can't absorb that many, and the society should be dealing with OUR own problems including the opioid epidemic you spoke of so disparagingly and what's really driving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2017, 06:53 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,945,812 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, I don't hate immigrants, nor did I say immigration should end.

I did say that the entire third world CANNOT move to the US, it.
Which is what Donald Trump says yet when he deports those who were never legally supposed to be living here you condemn him. In fact your views on immigrants mirror his, as I don't in fact that particularly want legal immigration to be made easier, to reduce the temptation of people to attempt to migrate legally.

I can assure you that making 3rd world countries developed enough to reduce the need for immigration is more expensive than allowing LEGAL immigration of people who are likely to succeed. Canada, a wealthy nation, sends thousands down to the USA. An estimated 800k by 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,654,209 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Which is what Donald Trump says yet when he deports those who were never legally supposed to be living here you condemn him. In fact your views on immigrants mirror his, as I don't in fact that particularly want legal immigration to be made easier, to reduce the temptation of people to attempt to migrate legally.

I can assure you that making 3rd world countries developed enough to reduce the need for immigration is more expensive than allowing LEGAL immigration of people who are likely to succeed. Canada, a wealthy nation, sends thousands down to the USA. An estimated 800k by 2012.
Those countries will have to do the brunt of the work on fixing their societies, and they will have to pay the brunt of the cost.

I condemned Trump for using racist rhetoric against entire categories of people. He could have simply said we can't accommodate unlimited numbers of people, and made an actual public discussion on the actual effects of immigration on housing, employment, education, etc. There are both positive and negative affects, and all of those should be factored in the determine of the numbers of immigrants that move to the nation.

No one says third world anymore. It's a dated term. The term is emerging markets, and some countries have emerged a lot more than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 AM
 
129 posts, read 61,898 times
Reputation: 108
Im naija american or Nigerian american (parents from Nigeria , me born in the US) . Lucky for me ive been able to connect with some AAs and all races threw out my childhood years and college. But of course i did experience the " dumb Africa questions" many times when i was in middle/high school. Black Americans I think have alot of resources and advantages that are never fully used , but Africans just like Indians or Asians who come to the US have a attitude of "im not here to mess around , i need to succeed " mentality, and its there type of people that are excelling in business, schools etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 01:39 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,148 posts, read 1,439,423 times
Reputation: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Im naija american or Nigerian american (parents from Nigeria , me born in the US) . Lucky for me ive been able to connect with some AAs and all races threw out my childhood years and college. But of course i did experience the " dumb Africa questions" many times when i was in middle/high school. Black Americans I think have alot of resources and advantages that are never fully used , but Africans just like Indians or Asians who come to the US have a attitude of "im not here to mess around , i need to succeed " mentality, and its there type of people that are excelling in business, schools etc
I can agree with this post,, I see this happening all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 06:14 AM
 
5,496 posts, read 2,323,237 times
Reputation: 16536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
While what you say is true about the present, it is not so because of the history if race relations. Modern day Americans who are racist have a whole set of rationalizations why they are that way, none of which relate to the racial history of the USA. Americans who are racist would be anyway, regardless if there had ever been slavery or segregation. After all, the number of people in Britain, for example, who are racist is similar to the number in the USA, but Britain has no history of slavery, segregation, or any other institutionalized oppression.
Wow. Simply wow.

Hie thyself to a history book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,647 posts, read 2,454,925 times
Reputation: 2760
This thread is so long. I wonder if I responded to the original question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact I am pro Caribbean. Are you helping Dominica? In fact I am angered by the fact that it appears as if one has to be a US citizen to merit help which is why my focus is 100% on Dominica. I know that 100% of what you do is going to PR unless you are going out of your way to see that it gets elsewhere.

Who do you think needs more help? Dominica, one of the poorest Caribbean islands, with practically no economy and no access to assistance except from other poor Caribbean nations, or PR which has a huge diaspora of over 5 million which US politicians are salivating to cultivate? And is the richest Caribbean island!

Who do you think is restoring electricity in Dominica? Dominicans themselves as well as other poor Caribbean nations, as they can help. No big FEMA for them!

Unless your funds and supplies are EXPLICITLY labeled for Dominica they will be gobbled up by Puerto Rico which has an outsized lobbying effort to grab everything. Even the USVI have to complain that their issues, as dire or even worse than PR, are being neglected.

Its clear the priority. TX/FL first, then PR, then the USVI and to hell with every one else, except for Mexico which needs no outside help.
The issue is that your anger seems misdirected. The more places like PR and USVI receive help, the better for other islands. Speaking particularly of the USVI, scores of people here have ties to Dominica - born there, parents from there or grandparents. Plenty people have family there and have lost in both places. These people will lend significant help, just like unaffected islands, as soon as they get on their feet. People here are sad that they are unable to aid because of our conditions.

Let me reiterate that it is local people who were helping themselves and each other before FEMA got here and FEMA does much organizing. Yes, thankfully we have FEMA but they are not throwing money at people like some seem to believe. The majority of people have to take out loans to repair their homes. We are however blessed to have the military and now workers from various states who have come to help us gain power. That will help us be able to help them.

The mainland priority is not the USVI priority. We are inextricably tied to our Caribbean brothers and sisters who are also affected by the storm. The majority have blood ties to islands affected. Personally, I get power and running water, I will be doing my best to help Dominica specifically. There are scores of people who will do the same. And again, Puerto Rico was helping others before they were majorly hit with Maria and they are still helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top