U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 AM
 
7,476 posts, read 5,990,382 times
Reputation: 3820

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Goodness Carib. Please give him some credit for giving and not turning a blind eye. Glad that you have given to Dominica and continue to bring awareness of its dire need.

...
You can condemn me as you wish but it is people like me who live in NYC and who remind people that the USVI and Dominica need MORE help than PR as they are smaller, poorer and have less developed economies.

Dominica needs DIRECT help. If STT/STX cannot even help themselves how can you help them? It is T&T, Guyana, St Kitts, St Lucia, Jamaica, Guadeloupe, etc., who are helping them. Dominicans in the US/BVI/St Maarten have their own problems, and many probably don't even have employment at this point.

Its the collective yelling by us that embarrassed the politicians to even play the minimal role in assisting the USVI that they are. So please don't curse those who came to your assistance with the entire universe was revolving around PR because of their tremendous clout that they have in the USA relative to any other Caribbean entity.

We have had to fight an endless battle against the Puerto Rico lobby that springs into action the minute that that island is hit, completely drowning out the fact that other islands, including the USVI, are also impacted. We saw it with Hugo and we saw it with Georges and we were damned if this was going to happen again. So instead of criticizing us you should be thanking us.

In fact sending supplies to Mexico was even more ridiculous when Mexico didn't even ask for the help. That is a large and wealthy nation and was fully capable of dealing with issues related to the earthquake which didn't even impact all of Mexico City. Houston is in way worse shape than is Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2017, 12:32 AM
 
7,476 posts, read 5,990,382 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

True. This is why I wish BET and TVOne had some African oriented shows. The CNN International channel has some African oriented shows like 'Inside Africa' and 'African Voices'. These are the types of shows BET and TVOne could be having. These shows could help expand Black-Americans knowledge about Africans.
There is virtually no market for African oriented shows. There is/was an Africa Channel but the black media ignore it. About 10 years ago BET had limited African musical programming but that is gone now. Beyond chatter about apartheid there isn't much mainstream interest in Africa among black Americans. They don't know it, cannot relate to it, and don't see it as being relevant to them.

What they do know is that their ancestors were mainly African derived and their experience in the USA is heavily impacted by this fact. Note that the definition of an African American is a black person descended from the enslaved populations brought directly to the USA. Its speaks to the experience and the heritage that these peoples have developed over the centuries. This makes them a unique group even when compared to other Americans or to other members of the African diaspora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 AM
 
7,476 posts, read 5,990,382 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I disagree with your assessment. The oft unspoken/stated belief in white racial supremacy, which places the negroid "race" at the bottom, ultimately serves as a common bond along with ancestry. That doctrine of racial supremacy/inferiority serves as the framework in which whites explain why African Americans lag in America and why Africa lags as a continent.
Even today a person born in Russia usually feels that they are entitled to more than a black American whose ancestors have been present for over 200 years. Immigrants get the message loud and clear that the USA has little respect for its black citizens.

Despite the fact that an average black American has been present in the USA longer than your average white American there is still the expectation that black Americans must assimilate as if they are some newly arrived immigrant group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 AM
 
691 posts, read 926,339 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Even today a person born in Russia usually feels that they are entitled to more than a black American whose ancestors have been present for over 200 years. Immigrants get the message loud and clear that the USA has little respect for its black citizens.

Despite the fact that an average black American has been present in the USA longer than your average white American there is still the expectation that black Americans must assimilate as if they are some newly arrived immigrant group.
I am not surprised about the Russians as they have been known to be very racist when it comes to blacks
and other non-white immigrants in Russia. There are many numerous cases of racial incidents involving
black and non-white people in Russia starting with the exchange students from the Congo in the '60s. They
consider all non-white people as "black" in Russia I have read.

I think that is why certain groups and people in this country have an affinity for Russia over their own country. "White "Supremacy" is a global system. The root of it being "Fear of a Black Planet".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,356,397 times
Reputation: 1043
You ask what would happen if real African Americans met real African's? lol It would be a real culture shock like the world has never seen. You can take the poorest African American living on food stamps living in the worst slum in the USA and he/she is 10 times better off than 90% of the black African population. When Sumone who has worked in many places in Africa tells you most of Africa is dirt poor most African American's have no idea. It would be a wake up call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,853 posts, read 2,515,627 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You can condemn me as you wish but it is people like me who live in NYC and who remind people that the USVI and Dominica need MORE help than PR as they are smaller, poorer and have less developed economies.

Dominica needs DIRECT help. If STT/STX cannot even help themselves how can you help them? It is T&T, Guyana, St Kitts, St Lucia, Jamaica, Guadeloupe, etc., who are helping them. Dominicans in the US/BVI/St Maarten have their own problems, and many probably don't even have employment at this point.

Its the collective yelling by us that embarrassed the politicians to even play the minimal role in assisting the USVI that they are. So please don't curse those who came to your assistance with the entire universe was revolving around PR because of their tremendous clout that they have in the USA relative to any other Caribbean entity.

We have had to fight an endless battle against the Puerto Rico lobby that springs into action the minute that that island is hit, completely drowning out the fact that other islands, including the USVI, are also impacted. We saw it with Hugo and we saw it with Georges and we were damned if this was going to happen again. So instead of criticizing us you should be thanking us.

In fact sending supplies to Mexico was even more ridiculous when Mexico didn't even ask for the help. That is a large and wealthy nation and was fully capable of dealing with issues related to the earthquake which didn't even impact all of Mexico City. Houston is in way worse shape than is Mexico City.
As said earlier, I am glad that you have given to Dominica and continue to bring awareness of its dire need. But at the same time, I have no words of condemnation for ANYONE who has given to any islands during this time. Maybe that’s what going through these hurricanes has done.

Yes, Dominica does need direct help and thankfully the rest of the West Indies is reaching out to them. Yes, Dominicans in the V.I. have their own problems but even they have still reached out to at least provide something to their families.

Who is cursing people who have assisted us? I am just saying to YOU not curse others who have given to hurricane victims. Please don’t tell try to someone who have been through both Irma and Maria what you have had to fight. Don’t you think we of all people know our position? We are well aware of the attention given to Puerto Rico and how our family, friends and others have pushed for recognition of the rest of us who have been affected.

Don’t try to twist my post because you and that poster have issues with each other. I am grateful to all who have given to the hurricane victims.

My issue was with YOUR criticism of someone who gave because you felt they should have given to hurricane victims in another location as well. That’s just sad to me.

But carry on...

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-02-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2017, 03:05 AM
 
7,476 posts, read 5,990,382 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
. That’s just sad to me.

But carry on...


Good so next time a hurricane hits the USVI and PR and only PR gets assistance, because no one on the mainland advocates for you guys. you will be fine.

Because it was US who advocated for the USVI, the BVI and Dominica. Not the Puerto Rican politicians in NYC and their allies.

But I stand corrected. Next time I will say NOTHING unless its a CARICOM nation that is hit!

So continue to attack me and other black Americans and black Caribbean people who advocated for you in the USA when the Hispanic lobby in fact tried to narrow the focus to PR and Mexico. Even as Mexico wasn't asking and didn't need any help.

Even now everyday I read about ONLY about PR in the NY press, so I assume that STT and STX are back to normal and life is fully restored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2017, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,853 posts, read 2,515,627 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Good so next time a hurricane hits the USVI and PR and only PR gets assistance, because no one on the mainland advocates for you guys. you will be fine.

Because it was US who advocated for the USVI, the BVI and Dominica. Not the Puerto Rican politicians in NYC and their allies.

But I stand corrected. Next time I will say NOTHING unless its a CARICOM nation that is hit!

So continue to attack me and other black Americans and black Caribbean people who advocated for you in the USA when the Hispanic lobby in fact tried to narrow the focus to PR and Mexico. Even as Mexico wasn't asking and didn't need any help.

Even now everyday I read about ONLY about PR in the NY press, so I assume that STT and STX are back to normal and life is fully restored.
This is about you and no one else. Stop attacking people who have helped victims of natural disasters.

PLENTY PEOPLE HAVE ADVOCATED FOR THE USVI AND OTHER CARIBBEAN ISLANDS WITHOUT BEING ANGRY AT THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN TO PUERTO RICO.


Most Black Americans and Black Caribbeans are advocating for other islands without attacking others. This isn’t about them, this is about YOU. In fact, YOU are the only person who has attacked someone who gave to Puerto Rico or Mexico in my experience.

We ALL know that Puerto Rico has garnered the vast majority of attention. Frankly, you are free to assume what you want. Our Governor and Congresswoman have been before the Senate and others plenty others are advocating for us without attacking Puerto Rico.

Additionally, what Puerto Rico’s recovery also means for us is more supplies to rebuild our homes and businesses and more flights to the mainland and other islands. We have lost much without Puerto Rico functioning normally. That doesn’t just affect us but also the BVI as well.

Again, this is about YOUR comments. Other people who have helped the USVI and other Caribbean nations are not attacking others who give and I commend them.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-03-2017 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2017, 06:07 PM
 
6,607 posts, read 9,127,661 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

There is virtually no market for African oriented shows. There is/was an Africa Channel but the black media ignore it. About 10 years ago BET had limited African musical programming but that is gone now. Beyond chatter about apartheid there isn't much mainstream interest in Africa among black Americans. They don't know it, cannot relate to it, and don't see it as being relevant to them.
Much of that is true. It's that I think it's true because most Black-Americans get little if any exposure to African news and media. More exposure to the continent and it's diverse people could create more of a market for African media. I think the problem is that we don't have enough Black-Americans in media positions and ownership who have a Pan-African mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Location: World
3,712 posts, read 3,557,268 times
Reputation: 2519
In Graduate School, I had many friends from various African countries who came to US for Master's Degree or Ph.D. They hardly interacted or had any close friends with local African American students of University. All their friends or room-mates were other international students from various countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top